Sick kitty

Old January 23rd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Sick kitty

Any ideas what's going on with my cat??? Rescued Tom cat about 1 year ago.
Approximately 5 years old. Now indoor/outdoor cat. Fine until about 3 weeks
ago. Started with decreased appetite, vomiting undigested food, behavior
changes. Went 5-6 days with little intake. Several visits to vet over the
past 3 weeks. Blood test revealed positive FIV. ALL other blood work normal.
No fever, no diaherra. He has periods of feeling well and acting normal
followed by periods or days of feeling and looking ill. Ultrasound of
abdomen revealed enlarged spleen. I have him on interferon, reglan, pepsid
and carafate. He has not vomited but a couple of time this week and the ill
episodes way out weight the feel good episodes. His appetite is good and he
has not lost any weight. He does not have hairballs. I brush him several
times a day and vomiting has never been a problem until 3 weeks ago. He is
scheduled for a endoscopy in the morning. Any suggestions??? He seems to
feel bad after eating. He weights 13 lbs and has maintained his weight over
the past 3 weeks. His behavior has done a 360 degree change over the past 3
weeks. I have not changed anything in the diet. I am at wits end!!! Please
help, it is killing me to watch him suffer so.
Old January 23rd 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Lisa wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, I don't know. Hopefully, the endoscopy will shed some light
on his problem and it will be easily treatable. Please let us know the
results. I'll be thinking about your guy.

Candace

Old January 23rd 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Lisa" u17957@uwe wrote in message news:5ac44e02e672d@uwe...
Any ideas what's going on with my cat??? Rescued Tom cat about 1 year
ago.
Approximately 5 years old. Now indoor/outdoor cat. Fine until about 3
weeks
ago. Started with decreased appetite, vomiting undigested food, behavior
changes. Went 5-6 days with little intake. Several visits to vet over
the
past 3 weeks. Blood test revealed positive FIV. ALL other blood work
normal.
No fever, no diaherra. He has periods of feeling well and acting normal
followed by periods or days of feeling and looking ill. Ultrasound of
abdomen revealed enlarged spleen.

Was an ultrasound-guided needle aspirate of his spleen done? This can be
useful for diagnosing conditions causing splenic enlargement in cats such
as mast cell tumour and lymphoma. Needle aspirate is a relatively safe,
inexpensive procedure that can be done while your cat is awake or sedated.
Depending on the severity and nature of the splenic enlargement it might be
worthwhile to do this prior to endoscopy.

J. dvm

Old January 23rd 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"J. dvm" wrote in message

Depending on the severity and nature of the splenic enlargement it might
be worthwhile to do this prior to endoscopy.

J. dvm

I just realized his endoscopy was scheduled for this AM. You should discuss
needle aspirate with your vet if a diagnosis is not obtained endoscopically.
Good luck.
J.

Old January 23rd 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hi Candace,
Thanks for the input. We've just returned from the vet. He was not able to
do the endoscopy (did not have an appropriate size light) However, he did do
several xrays after giving Thumper oral contrast. He says it appears that
there is some type of inflamatory progess going. Etiology unknown. He says
the contrast passed through the GI tract very rapidly and there appears to be
some very irritated areas in the intestines. He changed Thumpers diet and
added Prednisone and Antirobe (antibiotic) to his medication regimen. He
also did a TLI test (something to check pancreas function) and is calling The
Vet School of Medicine in Cary, NC today for any suggestions.
Thanks,
Lisa

Candace wrote:
Any ideas what's going on with my cat??? Rescued Tom cat about 1 year ago.
Approximately 5 years old. Now indoor/outdoor cat. Fine until about 3 weeks

[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]

Old January 23rd 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the input. We've just returned from the vet. He was not able to
do the endoscopy (did not have an appropriate size light?) However, he did
do
several xrays after giving Thumper oral contrast. He says it appears that
there is some type of inflamatory process going on. He says the contrast
passed through the GI tract very rapidly and there appears to be some very
irritated areas in the intestines. He changed Thumpers diet and
added Prednisone and Antirobe (antibiotic) to his medication regimen.
Thumper passed stool while at the vet clinic today and the vet said it was
very foul smelling with mucus present. He also did a TLI test (something to
check pancreas function) and is calling The Vet School of Medicine in Cary,
NC today for any suggestions. I still would like to have the endoscopy, but
the vet suggested holding off for a few days. Oh yea, the vet did do an
aspirate of the spleen last week when the ultrasoud was performed. The
results were lymphoidhyperplasia?
Thanks,
Lisa

J. dvm wrote:
Any ideas what's going on with my cat??? Rescued Tom cat about 1 year
ago.

[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]

Old January 24th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Have you and your vet discussed FIP? FIP is a very mysterious disease.
Good luck to you, this all sounds really distressing.

Old January 24th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Lisa via CatKB.com" u17957@uwe wrote in message news:5acd48aedab12@uwe...
[...]

That's good news about the spleen. That could just be an indicator of
chronic inflammatory disease and it seems your vet is suspicious of
inflammatory bowel disease. I'd suggest getting the endoscopic biopsies
done as soon as possible. The use of prednisone can cause altered biopsy
results which could lead to a misdiagnosis.

J. dvm

Old January 24th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the info/idea. We have had so many test in the past 3 weeks that
I'm not sure if he has been tested for FIP, but I will sure inquire with our
vet tomorrow. He has not had any fever or respiratory symptoms and his lab
studies have been WNL thus far. However, at this point I am open to any and
all suggestions. The one thing that is standing out in my mind is; that I
have not been able to observe his stools because he is an outdoor/indoor
kitty and does not use the litter box unless he absolutely has to. The vet
said he had a loose mucusy, watery-foul smelling stool while at the clininc
this AM and the xrays after the barium indicated he had what appeared to be
irritated areas in the intestines. I'm wonding about Giardia??? He does not
look like a sick cat. It appears that he feels worse after eating.
Thanks again,
Lisa