Dot's hearing change

Old May 13th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Dot's hearing change

Dot's hearing is not what it used to be. It's a fairly subtle change, but I
can tell.

I have to raise my voice a little louder when calling her. I have to honk
the squeaker on the loofa toys to let her know when it's time for spanks.
She doesn't come running when I unscrew the treats jar - I have to give it
a shake.

At this point, I'd say that my hearing is more acute than hers. That's
pretty poor for her, considering that she's a cat, and I'm a hoomin.

But like I said, it's a subtle change. She still plays and gets zoomies and
begs to be held. She's almost 13 years old now. The same age that Betty
would have been if she hadn't died of cancer 6 years ago at the age of six.

I feel like I've gotten another chance, a chance to see what could have
been. I'm glad to be able to be with Dot, a gracefully aging, slighty
chubby, funnily squeaky, tuxedo girl.
Old May 13th 12, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Dot's hearing is not what it used to be. It's a fairly subtle change, but
I can tell.
I have to raise my voice a little louder when calling her. I have to honk
the squeaker on the loofa toys to let her know when it's time for spanks.
She doesn't come running when I unscrew the treats jar - I have to give
it a shake.

My Muriel spent the last few years of her life like that - I needed
to bring the bag of treats to her, where previously she could hear
me getting the bag out from the other end of the garden. I knew it
was getting bad when when she didn't even notice me playing a tenor
sax a few inches from her ear.

She was a happy little thing right to the end, though.

Old May 13th 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
news
[...]

It's a privilege to have an old cat. KFC never had hearing loss, she got
CRF,but something would got her in the end. I hoped it wasn't a street
snatch, but unfortunately it was.
KFC was also a tuxedo. I will never get over her being snatched when she
normally never went out and was just looking for me when I was gone.
She was not confused when she was in her own house, she chose not to go out
as she got very old.
Unfortunately, she missed me while I was in hosp and went out to look.
Thank you (not) to the person who picked her up, got her put down and made
me search for ages to find what had happened to her.
Tweed

Old May 13th 12, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

wrote in message
news
[...]

Did you ever determine who it was? If so, did you do anything about it?
That was a good subtle move about the wall. I'll bet they are "stewing
in their own juice" about it now. Best wishes. MLB

Old May 13th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MLB" wrote in message
wrote in message
news
[...]

No I never found out, but I have my suspicions. I knew she wouldn't live
much longer but I would have preferred to have done it myself.
.. Not have her missing when June was looking after her.

That was a good subtle move about the wall. I'll bet they are "stewing in
their own juice" about it now. Best wishes. MLB

We'll see what happens.
I am quite prepared to go to court about it because I know I will win.
Tweed

Old May 14th 12, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 13 May 2012 11:22:31 +0100, Jack Campin
wrote:
My Muriel spent the last few years of her life like that - I needed
to bring the bag of treats to her, where previously she could hear
me getting the bag out from the other end of the garden. I knew it
was getting bad when when she didn't even notice me playing a tenor
sax a few inches from her ear.

She was a happy little thing right to the end, though.

They're very adaptable. I suspect that some of them find it to be an
improvement - less need to worry about vacuum cleaners, thunderstorms, and
annoying slaves calling them.
Old May 14th 12, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 13 May 2012 20:46:30 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:
I would have asked if it was selective hearing if it hadn't been for the
treats jar.

You're obviously enjoying having each other.

That, plus the spanking. Both of mine just love being spanked, to a
surprising degree.
Old May 14th 12, 06:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

My Muriel spent the last few years of her life like that - I needed
to bring the bag of treats to her, where previously she could hear
me getting the bag out from the other end of the garden. I knew it
was getting bad when when she didn't even notice me playing a tenor
sax a few inches from her ear.
She was a happy little thing right to the end, though.

They're very adaptable. I suspect that some of them find it to be an
improvement - less need to worry about vacuum cleaners, thunderstorms,
and annoying slaves calling them.

For Muriel an added plus was that she got a bearer to carry her through
to where the catfood was, since she couldn't hear the tin being opened.
A small pink sedan chair would obviously have been more appropriate for
one of her station, though.