I should feel honoured but I don't

Old August 19th 03, 11:15 PM
catsruleok

Default I should feel honoured but I don't

Hi all,

I'm writing this while feeling very angry . The reason why will soon become clear.

As you know, I'm very keen on photographing my cats and have posted many of their pics on the
Internet. One site I use is Webshots. I know that when I post there I can only post photos that I
have taken. If I did otherwise, I would infringe American copyright law and if Webshots found out
about it, they would remove any pic that was not mine.

Today, I received from Webshots, an email telling me that they had removed one of my pics of Thalia
because by posting it, I *had* infringed copyright law I should be honoured that someone thinks
one of my photos good enough to want to claim as their own work but I'm not. I'm absolutely furious.
And if they're selling that photo, I'll be more than that.

Whatsmore, Webshots have told me that if I breach copyright law *again*, they'll consider removing
all my albums from their site

Webshots has told me that I can try to prove to them my innocence. I hope that all the info I can
send them will be enough to satisfy them. If it does, I hope they'll secure on my behalf redress
from the person (I really want to say b*** **d) who has told them that my pic is theirs.. If
Webshots aren't willing to do this, I don't know what, if anything I can do. Should this situation
arise, would any one of you be able and willing to offer me advice on what , if anything, I can do.

Many thanks for reading.

Love to you all.

Sheenah.

Old August 19th 03, 11:18 PM
Karen Chuplis

Soothing thoughts and purrs this is ironed out easily and soon.

Karen

Old August 19th 03, 11:18 PM
Brenda Watkins

"catsruleok" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have any advice, Sheenah, but I'd certainly be willing to vouch for
your honesty!
Brenda

Old August 20th 03, 12:10 AM
Lois Reay

"catsruleok" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm writing this while feeling very angry . The reason why will soon

become clear.
Whatsmore, Webshots have told me that if I breach copyright law *again*,
they'll consider removing
all my albums from their site

Webshots has told me that I can try to prove to them my innocence. I hope

that all the info I can
Sheenah.

I see guilty until proved innocent, that just doesn't seem fair and goes
against all the laws - do you have there some sort of community office where
you can get free advice (from a lawyer) we have them here.
Hope you get this resolved asap.
Purrs
Lois

Old August 20th 03, 12:24 AM
Victor M. Martinez

catsruleok wrote:
Webshots has told me that I can try to prove to them my innocence. I hope that all the info I can
send them will be enough to satisfy them. If it does, I hope they'll secure on my behalf redress

I'm sorry, I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on the
accusing side under US law. You should not have to prove your innocense at all!

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 20th 03, 01:02 AM
fuga =^o^=

I agree with Victor, I think it's their responsiblity to prove that your
picture is an infringement on someone's copyright.. I have to admit, I got
fed up with Webshots.

I hope you are able to resolve this shortly.

Hugs,

Fuga

Old August 20th 03, 02:40 AM
Mary

Webshots has told me that I can try to prove to them my innocence. I hope
that all the info I can
send them will be enough to satisfy them. If it does, I hope they'll secure
on my behalf redress
from the person (I really want to say b*** **d)

Sounds like perhaps there is just a nasty jealous person out there trying to
cause you harm and distress by filing a false report. I doubt a real
photographer would confuse one of your picks with theirs. A photographer also
has to pay to copyright each photo if they truly want it legally copyrighted. I
know some pros. They will have to show their copyright to that specific pic in
order for it to be enforced. I doubt they can do that. Sounds like it's just a
jerk. I'm sure you can show other pics of your cat and the large original file.
That should satisfy them. It's not like you rented your cat out for a photo
shoot for someone else.
Old August 20th 03, 03:38 AM
Hopitus2

I fail to understand the entire concept! If this website consists of pics of
cats (or other pets) who's to say *your* cat is not who he is? Example: BT
Rowdy, although possessing a blind and unattractive left eye, looks like a
billion other brown-colored mackeral tabbies; Sylvie is a doppelganger for
any other tuxedo (except for her multiple toes!) and many other cats look
the same......what is the rationale of this outfit to accuse you thus?

:
:
: Mary wrote:
:
[...]
: Don't you have the negative? (Or whatever substitutes for one in a
: digital camera?) It would be pretty hard to forge the original from
: which you uploaded the picture!

Old August 20th 03, 04:43 AM
LOL

[...]

I don't have any advice or any idea what to do, but can only imagine
your frustration. Mike is sending soothing purrs, and has instructed
me to start saving up the contents of the litterbox towards the time
when the culprit is revealed. I do hope you get satisfaction soon.

------
Krista
Old August 20th 03, 05:25 AM
Byron & Christine Burel

Sheenah,
I'm so sorry you've had something stupid and petty like this happen. I am
sending major hugs and purrs from us and also Byron had some suggestions
that he emailed you.
love,
Christine