strange behavior

Old March 29th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default strange behavior

Cinders has a habit of repeatedly opening and closing her mouth while
inhaling, making a suck-suck-suck-suck sound. Is this simply the
behavior called flehmening, or is this indicative of some sort of
problem, such as a dental problem? I haven't seen any other cat do
this particular action.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old March 29th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:53:49 -0600, John F. Eldredge wrote:

Cinders has a habit of repeatedly opening and closing her mouth while
inhaling, making a suck-suck-suck-suck sound. Is this simply the
behavior called flehmening, or is this indicative of some sort of
problem, such as a dental problem? I haven't seen any other cat do
this particular action.

That does sort of sound like flehmening. When Sammy does it he opens his
mouth, holds it open just a little ways, and looks like he's panting. When
Harri does it she curls up her nose a little. So I guess different kitties
do it a little differently.

Does she do it often? If so, it might be worth a visit to the vet.
Old March 29th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:53:49 -0600, John F. Eldredge wrote:

Cinders has a habit of repeatedly opening and closing her mouth while
inhaling, making a suck-suck-suck-suck sound. Is this simply the
behavior called flehmening, or is this indicative of some sort of
problem, such as a dental problem? I haven't seen any other cat do
this particular action.

That does sort of sound like flehmening. When Sammy does it he opens his
mouth, holds it open just a little ways, and looks like he's panting. When
Harri does it she curls up her nose a little. So I guess different kitties
do it a little differently.

A little differently yes, but I've never heard any sound while they're
flehmening. The cats I've seen doing it just keep heir mouth slightly
open (and look very silly). Maybe you should have her seen by a vet,
just in case she does have dental problems.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old March 29th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Marina wrote:

flehmening. The cats I've seen doing it just keep heir mouth slightly
open (and look very silly).

Heh. You might not want to say that in front of a lion who's flehmening.

Joyce
Old March 29th 06, 08:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:54:43 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Dan M wrote:
[...]

My Sammy sometimes does very soft sort of a half chirp. It's very
soft, and only occurs very rarely - or at least I only hear it on rare
occasions.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 29th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sometimes my Xena will do this when she finds an interesting smell.
Cats have sensors in the roof of their mouths that help with smell, and
opening the mouth and breathing that way helps them to smell. I don't
usually hear much noise when she does this, but it looks funny. Jennie

Old March 30th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

John F. Eldredge wrote:
Cinders has a habit of repeatedly opening and closing her mouth while
inhaling, making a suck-suck-suck-suck sound. Is this simply the
behavior called flehmening, or is this indicative of some sort of
problem, such as a dental problem? I haven't seen any other cat do
this particular action.

--
John F. Eldredge --

If she's only doing it when she's sniffing something strange to her, I
wouldn't worry about it. But if she just seems to do it for no reason
at all, I think I'd ask the vet about it.
Mine don't make a sound when they do that. They just look slack-jawed
and a little dopey. Like for instance, they'll do it sniffing my shoes
or pants after I've been around other dogs or cats.

Sherry

Old April 3rd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
oups.com...

John F. Eldredge wrote:
Cinders has a habit of repeatedly opening and closing her mouth while
inhaling, making a suck-suck-suck-suck sound. Is this simply the
behavior called flehmening, or is this indicative of some sort of
problem, such as a dental problem? I haven't seen any other cat do
this particular action.

--
John F. Eldredge --

If she's only doing it when she's sniffing something strange to her, I
wouldn't worry about it. But if she just seems to do it for no reason
at all, I think I'd ask the vet about it.
Mine don't make a sound when they do that. They just look slack-jawed
and a little dopey. Like for instance, they'll do it sniffing my shoes
or pants after I've been around other dogs or cats.

Sherry

The last couple of days They have all been picking specific spots of
clothing I am wearing, and rubbing, sniffing, and flehmening at them.
Yesterday it was the bottom of my right pants leg, they were rolling on it
and cheekrubbing, and today for some reason my left elbow is utterly
fascinating. Is it my washing powder perhaps? I don't know what;s got into
them...