[OT] More Katrina Recovery Pictures

Old March 31st 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] More Katrina Recovery Pictures

Erin just sent me these (via snail-mail since they won't have cable for a
loooooong time yet). It's been 7 months and 3 days since the storm, and
most people along the Gulf Coast are still homeless. My daughter is one of
the lucky ones (as well as being very handy and industrious) since all they
need to do is buy the materials and they can rebuild their house themselves.
So far they're second in their neighborhood as far as how far along they are
towards having their home fixed.

There are quite a few pictures, so I broke them up into separate dates -
just click the "NEXT PAGE" link at the bottom of each page to advance to the
next.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery4/2006_01_06/

However, even if you don't want to slog through all the pictures, I'd like
to point out the pictures on the following page and the next few pages
because, although it's nice to have a daughter who's handy, OHMYGAWD
somebody pass me the nitro-glycerin tables 'cause it's the big one
Elizabeth! ;

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Recovery4/2006_03_15/

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 31st 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

My word! what a lot of pictures. It looks like they're making steady
progress, in a few months time it will be a wonderful family home. Purrs for
the whole family/
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 1st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My god, the work these people have to do! God bless them all. You don't want
to make Mother Nature angry, as that old commercial said.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old April 1st 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Looks like a lot of good work has been done so far.

The results of the roof installation look good enough for me to ask,

WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT A BID IN ON MY ROOF!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously, It would appear that a lot of good progress has been made and
the house will be a home in the near future. And I'm glad to see that
Digger is even being able to contribute. :-)

Good luck to them and best wishes that the house is coming back to home
status.

Old April 1st 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Allan Butler" wrote in message
Looks like a lot of good work has been done so far.

The results of the roof installation look good enough for me to ask,

They really did a good, professional job. Roofing contractors say that you
should put 6 nails into each shingle - Erin and Greg put 8 nails into each
shingle. They say a roofing crews working on a house down the street and
they were only putting 4 nails per shingle - which I guess will keep them in
business the next time a high wind comes along and rips those shingles off).

WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT A BID IN ON MY ROOF!?!?!?!?!?

I keep telling them that after they're finished their house they should
become contractors - they have all the tools they need now, and gawd knows
the area they live in will be needed building contractors for a long time to
come! I don't think anyone would have a problem with the quality of their
work!

Seriously, It would appear that a lot of good progress has been made and
the house will be a home in the near future. And I'm glad to see that
Digger is even being able to contribute. :-)

Well, everybody needs to do their part! ;

And seriously, even my granddaughter's are learning a lot from this
experience - not just the mechanical tasks, they're also learning about work
ethics, perseverance, shopping savvy and how to find good quality materials,
the value of do-it-yourself, and the courage it takes to rebuild your life
from scratch with your own two hands.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Good luck to them and best wishes that the house is coming back to home
status.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old April 1st 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Irulan" wrote in message
. ..
My god, the work these people have to do! God bless them all. You don't
want to make Mother Nature angry, as that old commercial said.
Lily & her mama

Yeah. When I think of doing this times the hundreds of thousands of people
who lost everything to Katrina, it becomes more understandable that more
progress hasn't been made in the 7 months since the storm.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 1st 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Yep - also a lot of work (and a lot of work still to do), but they're
getting there. Thank you for the purrs!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 1st 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] More Katrina Recovery Pictures LONG

[...]

Shingles, my ***! Do they have those hook-like guards required in the
south FL counties I came from building codes (probably on only newer
houses since Andrew) that keep the 'canes from rippiing off *the entire
roof in one piece*? While they're fixing up the roof, if possible, and
either they don't have them or they're not required in the LA county
they live in, could they put them in? I forget what they're called but
am sure you know what I mean. When I was a kid, as previously
posted, we found *whole roofs*, not just shingles, in our yards
after big windy 'canes (way back in 40's, 50's).
I really enjoyed seeing all your pics of great progress w/home
rebuilding done by your kids and friends. My bro (yeah, the
gov't. lawyer) did drywall construction as a "rocker" when he
was in college, before law school days...and he said that was
the worst physical work he ever did in his life, to this day!
The only guys I've ever seen w/bigger rock-hard arm muscles
are union pipefitters......convey my congrats to your kids.

Old April 1st 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

They are doing a wonderful job! And their attitude is great! No wonder
they have accomplished so much already.
Please tell them we are sending lots of purrs and best wishes for them,
Polonca and Soncek

Old April 2nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message
[...]

In a couple of the pictures you can see the "vents" that allow wind to go
*through* the roof so it doesn't get ripped off.

While they're fixing up the roof, if possible, and
either they don't have them or they're not required in the LA county
they live in, could they put them in? I forget what they're called but
am sure you know what I mean. When I was a kid, as previously
posted, we found *whole roofs*, not just shingles, in our yards
after big windy 'canes (way back in 40's, 50's).
I really enjoyed seeing all your pics of great progress w/home
rebuilding done by your kids and friends. My bro (yeah, the
gov't. lawyer) did drywall construction as a "rocker" when he
was in college, before law school days...and he said that was
the worst physical work he ever did in his life, to this day!
The only guys I've ever seen w/bigger rock-hard arm muscles
are union pipefitters......convey my congrats to your kids.

Thank you, I will.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped