Looks like it's the end for Al

Old July 21st 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
Meowmie Carol

Default Looks like it's the end for Al

I am so sorry, Rich. I know this is a very difficult time for you and
Al. My thoughts are with you. You and Al were so good for each other,
a gentle cat and a compassionate soul.
mdsu wrote:
I just received very sad news. My cat, Al, most likely has lung cancer.
I've had
Al 14 years. I got him from a shelter in Ohio on Aug 2, 1992. At the
time I got
him the shelter staff estimated Al's age at between 1-2 years. So Al is
between
15-16 years old.

He has diabetes, asthma, and hyperthyroidism. Despite these maladies,
I've taken
good care of him and he has hung in there very well until now.

A few weeks ago I noticed Al was limping. Yesterday I took him to the
vet for
x-rays. The vet called me this morning to say they found no evidence of any
injury to Al's limbs. But the x-ray caught part of his lung. And the
radiologist
who reviewed the x-rays is convinced that there is a mass in Al's lungs.
The vet
said if Al does have the type of cancer they have in mind, then it is not
unusual for it to metastasize to the limbs. That fact, if true, would
explain
Al's limp. Al has also been more lethargic of late, and wheezing a bit
more than
usual. Those symptoms are also consistent with him having cancer, or so
the vet
tells me. I'm going to take Al back to the vet on Monday for a chest
x-ray. But
I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst.

This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
very
difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
when I have
to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
concern is
that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.

Rich

Old July 21st 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
Countess Katzenplatzen

This situation just sucks! Al is an extraordinarily gentle cat. He's also my
buddy and best friend. He's been the one constant in my life during some
very
difficult times for me. I really love him and will miss him terribly
when I have
to put him down. But as hard as that decision will be, my overriding
concern is
that Al not suffer. I'll deal with the sadness.

Rich

Oh man, I am so sorry. Keeping my fingers crossed that Al rallys.

Dan
Old July 22nd 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
mdsu

Buddy wrote:
Did they do blood work? The limping can be a sign of kidney failure.

mdsu wrote:
Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated. I'll let you know how
things turn out.

Rich

No. I'll ask about it when I go back to the vet on Monday. But either
way, the news isn't good.

Rich
Old July 22nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
mdsu

All of you have written such nice messages. Again, I really appreciate
the support! I'll post a message on Monday or Tuesday when I have more
information. In the meantime, I'm spending lots of quality time with Al.

Rich
Old July 22nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
Zippy

mdsu wrote:
All of you have written such nice messages. Again, I really appreciate
the support! I'll post a message on Monday or Tuesday when I have more
information. In the meantime, I'm spending lots of quality time with Al.

Rich

Rich,
My best to you.
These little guys get into our hearts and it hurts to let them go.
I still grieve over losing our orance & white cat, Lucky in January.
Lucky had attributes that I cherish -- independence, grace, beauty,
and devotion.
Zippy

Old July 24th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
mdsu

Default Terminal cancer diagnosis confirmed (was "Looks like it's the endfor Al")

Hi all. I got back from the vet a little while ago. She took a couple
x-rays of Al's lungs and confirmed he has terminal cancer. I'm very sad,
but the news was expected. It's not Al's time yet, so at least he'll be
with me a while longer. He is eating, still plays with me a bit, and
enjoys being pet. He also still shows interest when he hears a bird at
the window. I expect towards the end he'll go downhill quickly. I'll
know when it's time and Al will let me know too.

It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I
don't want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various
maladies (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him.
I have been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as
you'd ever want to meet.

Rich
Old July 24th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
Matthew

I am so sorry Rich
Savory every moment Al is in the best hands possible yours

Old July 24th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
-L.

mdsu wrote:
Hi all. I got back from the vet a little while ago. She took a couple
x-rays of Al's lungs and confirmed he has terminal cancer. I'm very sad,
but the news was expected. It's not Al's time yet, so at least he'll be
with me a while longer. He is eating, still plays with me a bit, and
enjoys being pet. He also still shows interest when he hears a bird at
the window. I expect towards the end he'll go downhill quickly. I'll
know when it's time and Al will let me know too.

It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I
don't want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various
maladies (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him.
I have been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as
you'd ever want to meet.

Rich

He may surprise you, Rich. My dog was given days, weeks - and lived 9
months. The will to live is amazing, sometimes. I'm sorry for his
diagnosis - like my vet said to me, "give him lots of love each day."

-L.

Old July 24th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.community
Candace

mdsu wrote:

It's going to be very hard on me when I have to put him down. But I
don't want him to suffer. Al has had a good life despite his various
maladies (diabetes, asthma, etc.). And I've taken very good care of him.
I have been so lucky to have had Al. He is as sweet and gentle a cat as
you'd ever want to meet.

Rich

I'm very sorry, Rich. I hope the time is longer than you think. Al is
lucky to have had you, too, as you have given him a wonderful life. I
know you will make his remaining time special.

Candace