OT. Rant

Old November 21st 04, 04:36 PM
Sherry

The way some people
see it, our economy is in ruins because of the hordes of welfare mothers
popping out kids so they can get more money. As though the amount they get
could ever come close to what it costs to feed, clothe and care for a child!

I'm not suggesting they have babies just to get on the proverbial government
teat, but Oklahoma is #1 in the union for teenaged/unwed pregnancies. It
probably really *is* a drain on the economy. If I sound bitter about it, it's
because of a select few girls. The WEP program requires they "work" a few hours
a week (we're talking about 6 hours a week) to get their check.So they send
them to nonprofit org's (that they choose,) and they're really just volunteers
kind of. The ones we get at the shelter have no intention of turning a hand.
They want to stand and yap all day, or play with the animals. We try to "teach"
them good work eithics, but it's a lost cause.
At the shelter we get handicapped adults from the Work Activity Center, inmates
from the Work Release Program, offenders who are serving a Community Service
sentence, the WEP mothers. I'd work with the handicapped adults any day than
the WEP mothers. Or even the inmates.
Sherry
Old November 21st 04, 06:21 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers at
omcom wrote on
11/21/04 6:49AM:

My pet peeve, though, are the people who, dripping with self-righteousness,
have to comment on the shopping cart contents of anyone who's a little
fatter than skeletal. "You don't really *need* that, do you dear?" they'll
say, pointing to any high-calorie item. Seriously, there ARE people who
are that rude!

I am not slim. I am overweight. I am fat. The other week was the cycling club
annual dinner & award ceremony, which I had to be at as I'm racing secretary
and had organised the trophies, engravings, medals and the production of the
programme for the event (my printer had been working overtime, as had I).

Whilst at the dinner, in the middle of the main course, a person told me about
how, if I wanted to stay slim & healthy like him, I should not eat a meal such
as the one on the plate... the fact is, he had exactly the same on his plate
as
me, which he was eating... a couple of other people, during the evening, made
comment about how if I want to be healthy, I should be eating A, not eating B,
doing C, not doing D. Did I ask these people for their advice? No, they simply
felt it was perfectly acceptable to tell me how so much better they are than
me
with the "If you want to be slim like me..." I resisted the retort of "There
*is* one thing fatter than my arse in this room, and it's your mouth.", but
god
knows how. Is my eating anything eating causing them to get cancer due to
"passive eating"??? No. I may not be slim, and I can cycle 100 miles on a
bike,
but hey, aren't we fat people supposed to be lazy, good-for-nothing couch
potatoes who do nothing but lie on a sofa all day feeding our faces with
chocolates as we have no sense of self-control or self-worth?? How dare we
inflict ourselves on the outside world!!

BAH!

MInor rant over, normal service is now resumed (until the next rant, anyway)

Astounding!! I can't believe some people!

Old November 21st 04, 07:28 PM
CatNipped

{{{{{{{{{{Helen}}}}}}}}}}

How inexcusably rude! I've been saying this for years - there is one form
of prejudice, intolerance and discrimination that it's still perfectly OK
for people to display - prejudice against large people (I won't even say
overweight because if you're fit and healthy then what you weigh may be just
right for your body type and you're not overweight at all!).

I *have* been overweight my entire life until this March when I had gastric
bypass surgery (I had this strictly for medical reasons - high blood
pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, heart murmur, pre-diabetic condition,
possible joint replacements needed, etc.). I lost 100 pounds and it did
make all my medical problems go away (I was not supposed to weigh what I
weighed for my body type). However, I had no idea how it would change how
people treated me.

I take no credit in losing all that weight, my surgeon did all the work (I
do exercise a lot, but I always liked to exercise, I just couldn't at my
weight), but people keep congratulating me like I'd won the lottery. They
tell me how good I look - well no, I don't look good, I'm 53 and just lost
100 pounds in the last 8 months and my skin is pooling around my ankles - I
look like a Sherpe! But thinner is *supposed* to look better even when in
reality it doesn't.

I'd like to see what would happen if a television show made fun of a member
of an ethnic minority like they make fun of large people. I'd like to see
what would happen if employers discriminated against a member of an ethnic
minority like they discriminate against large people. It's horrible and it
has to stop because it's killing people. That right, killing people. Our
young women are literally starving themselves to death to try to look like
some model who is 5'10" and weighs 100 pounds. When did this "look" become
so sought-after. To me they look horrendous with their hip bones and ribs
sticking out. Do you realize that if Marilyn Monroe were around today she
would be considered fat!!????

Oh my, I just looked at the length of this post - this is one of my favorite
rants, so I get carried away. But I do think this is a very serious issue.

Hugs,

CatNipped

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Cheers, helen s ;-)

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Old November 21st 04, 08:18 PM
CK

CatNipped wrote:

Oh my, I just looked at the length of this post - this is one of my favorite
rants, so I get carried away. But I do think this is a very serious issue.

I'm BIG too, so I know exactly what y'all are talking about. This is one
time it's good that Finns don't tend to talk to strangers too much, with
the exception of the lady who commented on Marina's hair right on the
street. We don't get these wise*sses telling us what to buy and not to
buy in grocery stores. I believe I've lost a few job transfers I've
applied for due to my size, but they've never said so to my face.
Luckily there's always Garfield: http://tinyurl.com/5x2q5

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Old November 21st 04, 09:02 PM
Jo Firey

[...]

Since this sounds like it is something that will happen again, you need to
come up with a truly scathing but ladylike sounding comeback for such
insufferable boors.

My own mother wouldn't dare to criticize me for the food on my plate while I
was eating and I suspect it would get ugly if a stranger tried it.

I'm guessing you have better manners than I do.

Jo