Bonnie ate canned food!

Old April 16th 05, 04:14 AM
Cheryl

Default Bonnie ate canned food!

This former feral who decided that she was a picky eater after I
trapped her, and fed her food that didn't come out of a garbage
can, ate some canned food in front of me tonight!

After her first several months here, she wouldn't eat canned, and
pulled her fur out in protest (she's easily stressed about food).
She also got fat; mostly from her socialization time in the cage,
then on a diet of only dry food her obsession over food since she
eats like she'll never see another meal.

Lately she's been acting bored with her dry meals. The other 3 get
canned for breakfast and for dinner. Very little dry is left out
during the day between the four of them. Bonnie has to eat her fill
before I leave for work, or Rhett is right there nudging her out of
her bowl to eat her leftovers. I've been seeing her sticking her
face in the wet food bowls and licking a little. She rarely takes a
bite, though. I always put out 4 bowls of canned (hers with just a
little because she just won't eat it) but tonight she did!!

My main concern with her eating nothing but dry is diabetes. If she
were to need daily injections and testing, I couldn't do it. Even
after two years (May 17th is the 2nd anniversay of her first day
with me!) she still can't be approached or picked up. She will come
to me on her terms, and is very affectionate, but not a "lap" or
"pickup cat". She's only recently let me walk up to her and pet
her, but walk up to her and pick her up, NO WAY. Yearly vet visits
are an ordeal, and I have an understanding with my vet that I may
have to cancel appts if I can't "get" her.

I think we're on the way to healthier eating. She's already
slimming down with the kittens around; she loves to play chase with
them!

--
Cheryl

"No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of
kittens." Abraham Lincoln

Old April 16th 05, 04:39 AM
CatNipped

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I think we're on the way to healthier eating. She's already
slimming down with the kittens around; she loves to play chase with
them!

Congratulations! I'm still trying to get mine switched over to canned from
dry - and it's still a hit or miss thing whether they'll eat a particular
flavor or not. But they are eating more and more of the canned, it's just a
slow process.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 05, 05:01 AM

Cheryl wrote:
[...]

I can't believe you've had Bonnie 2 years! It just seems like yesterday
you were trapping her. She's come a long way.

Sherry

Old April 16th 05, 06:36 AM
-L.

Cheryl wrote:
This former feral who decided that she was a picky eater after I
trapped her, and fed her food that didn't come out of a garbage
can, ate some canned food in front of me tonight!

Cool;! What kind was it? (Just for my own edification....?)

[...]

I know what you mean. Peewee is pretty much untreatable. Loves to be
held and pettered, but if you try to *do* anything to him, he becomes
20 lbs of teeth and nails. I always said if he became diabetic, there
is no way I could treat it.

I think we're on the way to healthier eating. She's already
slimming down with the kittens around; she loves to play chase with
them!

--
Cheryl

Sweet! I love feral-come-tame stories. I'm not a huge feral fan, but
I respect people who have thee time and patience to be guardians for
them.

-L.

Old April 17th 05, 05:12 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-16, Cheryl penned:
This former feral who decided that she was a picky eater after I
trapped her, and fed her food that didn't come out of a garbage can,
ate some canned food in front of me tonight!

Congrats! Truly a great moment.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 18th 05, 11:07 PM
Cheryl

On Sat 16 Apr 2005 01:36:00a, -L. wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

Cheryl wrote:
This former feral who decided that she was a picky eater after I
trapped her, and fed her food that didn't come out of a garbage
can, ate some canned food in front of me tonight!

Cool;! What kind was it? (Just for my own edification....?)

Wellness Turkey. Just what I want her to eat. She's consistently
eaten a few mouthfuls each day; not enough to live on but its a
start. She's very anxious about food so I'm really afraid to do the
"starve or eat what I give you" thing.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 19th 05, 04:54 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-04-18, Cheryl penned:

Cheryl wrote:
This former feral who decided that she was a picky eater after I
trapped her, and fed her food that didn't come out of a garbage
can, ate some canned food in front of me tonight!

Cool;! What kind was it? (Just for my own edification....?)

Wellness Turkey. Just what I want her to eat. She's consistently
eaten a few mouthfuls each day; not enough to live on but its a
start. She's very anxious about food so I'm really afraid to do the
"starve or eat what I give you" thing.

Isn't that odd. Wellness Turkey and Wellness Salmon and Turkey are
the only two canned foods Oscar will eat. She prefers the latter.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 21st 05, 03:04 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 18 Apr 2005 11:54:16p, Monique Y. Mudama wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Wellness Turkey. Just what I want her to eat. She's
consistently eaten a few mouthfuls each day; not enough to live
on but its a start. She's very anxious about food so I'm really
afraid to do the "starve or eat what I give you" thing.

Isn't that odd. Wellness Turkey and Wellness Salmon and Turkey
are the only two canned foods Oscar will eat. She prefers the
latter.

Tonight I didn't give her any dry food at all. Put out her bowl of
wellness canned (only a couple of tablespoons), and she went and
nibbled, then went back to it repeatedly until it was gone. The
kittens, who don't much like Wellness (I admit I've given in with
them with things they don't like to eat during their picky-skinny
phase) ate some of it, but she ate most of it. I even put more in
the bowl when it was empty and she went back for more. Gonna do
this! Gonna get her on canned! Yay!!

Old April 21st 05, 05:45 AM
-L.

Cheryl wrote:

Tonight I didn't give her any dry food at all. Put out her bowl of
wellness canned (only a couple of tablespoons), and she went and
nibbled, then went back to it repeatedly until it was gone. The
kittens, who don't much like Wellness (I admit I've given in with
them with things they don't like to eat during their picky-skinny
phase) ate some of it, but she ate most of it. I even put more in
the bowl when it was empty and she went back for more. Gonna do
this! Gonna get her on canned! Yay!!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

See Bonnie - that nasrty ole canned gunk ain't so bad!

-L.