Question about spaying (update)

Old October 11th 05, 01:22 AM
DAdriano

Default Question about spaying (update)

Thank you everyone for your posts. I'm planning on taking my kitty to the
Mobile Spay Station this month to get her fixed. I had actually taken her
the same time that I got my boy kitty fixed, but they ran out of
appointments right after they took him. So, I'm going to get there extra
early and make sure she gets in!

I didn't know about the greater chance of her getting mammary cancer the
longer she was not fixed...thank you for that information, Phil P.!

Old October 11th 05, 02:48 AM
Phil P.

"DAdriano" wrote in message
Thank you everyone for your posts. I'm planning on taking my kitty to the
Mobile Spay Station this month to get her fixed. I had actually taken her
the same time that I got my boy kitty fixed, but they ran out of
appointments right after they took him. So, I'm going to get there extra
early and make sure she gets in!

I didn't know about the greater chance of her getting mammary cancer the
longer she was not fixed...thank you for that information, Phil P.!

You're quite welcome.

By the time mammary tumors are diagnosed, the cancer has already spread
(metastasized) to the lymph nodes, lungs, pleura, liver, diaphragm, adrenal
gland, kidneys- or *all* of the above in 80% of the cats. Females
neutered after 2 1/2 years of age have a risk or incident rate 7 times
higher than cats neutered before their first heat cycle.

Here's a list of other cancers you'll be preventing by having her neutered:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Preventativ... ing/Neutering

That should make you feel pretty good about getting her neutered! ;-) Not
to mention giving her a happier and longer life and not contributing to the
overpopulation and killing problem.

Neutered cats have a lower daily energy requirement than intact cats. So,
just remember to start feeding her about 1/3 less calories about a week
after she's neutered.

Thank you for doing the right thing.

Good luck to you and your cat.

Phil