Ping Phil, Cheryl and other - The diarrhea is over - now what food to change for skin problems?

Old December 17th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Phil, Cheryl and other - The diarrhea is over - now what food to change for skin problems?

As some of you may recall, my mom's cat has a sore on her right hind leg
that's been treated with (over the past 15 months or so) with two shots
of Depo Medrol (over a year apart), 2.5 mg/day Prednisolone (two weeks),
long term application of Tresaderm, Clavamox for several weeks,
antihistamines and amitryptiline (anti-depressant). The sore went away
once after the Prednisolone/Tresaderm/Depo Medrol combo, but reappears.
The vet thinks it's either a food allergy or granuloma.

To rule out a food allergy, I'd like to change her food. She just got
over her bout of diarrhea, and thankfully, we weaned her off of Fancy
Feast (all varieties except anything with fish). While she had the
diarrhea, I stopped the Prednisolone (thinking it would be too harsh for
her system until she was better), and just gave her the topical
Tresaderm. Her hair around the sore seems to be growing back, so possibly
something in the Fancy Feast was causing her to lick the area (just a
wild guess).

For the last week, she's just been eating her Purina Pro Plan Chicken and
Rice hard food, and some Beechnut Beef and Beef Broth or Chicken and
Chicken Broth (which she loves.). My mom boiled some kosher chicken and
she loved that, too. She actually licked down a can of Iams Lamb and
Rice (which she used to snub her nose at). That's probably because the
taste of FF is out of her system.

Now - where to go. Some would recommend the Hills Science Diet
dermatology.
prescription diet. Others suggest going with Lamb and Rice (I'm not sure
which brand). My vet suggested a venison and peas diet. Others say to
go with the Wellness brand, as it's more of a natural formulation.

Any other suggestions? Nutromax?

Does anyone know anything about the Dick Van Patten Allergy line for
cats? It's a Venison and Peas mixture.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/VenCat.html

Old December 18th 05, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/VenCat.html

you are real dedicated

i agree, some dry food should stiffen things up a bit

Old December 18th 05, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Now - where to go. Some would recommend the Hills Science Diet
dermatology.
prescription diet. Others suggest going with Lamb and Rice (I'm not sure
which brand). My vet suggested a venison and peas diet. Others say to
go with the Wellness brand, as it's more of a natural formulation.

Wellness isn't any more "natural" than any other brand, that's just
marketing.

Any other suggestions? Nutromax?

Nutro tends to be much higher in salt, calcium, and phosphorus than
necessary.

Does anyone know anything about the Dick Van Patten Allergy line for
cats? It's a Venison and Peas mixture.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/VenCat.html

How old is the cat? I'd stay away from the Dick Van Patten line. Who
makes this food, do they use a fixed formula, what kind of nutritional
expertise can they claim?? What does your VET think? There is a new
derm line from Hill's (d/d) that has almost double the Omega 3 fatty
acids and higher levels of antioxidants that help nourish the skin and
support the skin barrier. The nutrient levels are more precise for an
adult or senior cat as well. Those flavors come in Venison and Green
Pea, Rabbit and Green Pea, and Duck and Green Pea.

Old December 20th 05, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

" wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:

[...]

Is this only available from vets by prescription?

Old December 20th 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Is this only available from vets by prescription?

Yes.