Cat vomits after eating

Old May 16th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat vomits after eating

My cat seems to have the classic symptoms of a hair ball. He vomits
about 10 minutes after eating anything solid. Even a single piece of
food will make him vomit. It makes him really miserable for about 10
or 15 minutes and then he's OK.

Otherwise he's fine. He drinks, pees, poops, plays and does everything
else he should. I've been making him cat food "soup" by putting a can
of cat food in the blender with some water. He's not fond of it but if
I mix some tuna juice with it he laps it up. This does not make him
vomit. He isn't eating quite as much as before because he really
doesn't like it but is eating at least the equivalent of one small can
per day. Tomorrow I hope to buy some other flavors to see if he likes
them better.

This has been going on for two days. I've been giving him hair ball
medicine twice a day but so far it hasn't helped.

Is there anything else I should try? Should I give the hair ball
medicine another day or two? Since he will eat the soup and since it's
nourishing I'm not in a panic. I'd rather not run to the vet if
there's something else I could be doing.

Another question: does the hair ball medicine prevent him from getting
what he needs from the food he's eating? I try to give it to him about
two hours after he eats in the morning and then about an hour after he
eats at night.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Old May 16th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You may want to take him to the vet on this one and get some GI work
done -- something is very 'not right'. Frankly, I'm surprised that he
is not refusing the solid food.

Stan

www.Kitten-Pictures.com
For adorable Kitten Pictures!

Old May 16th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

The trouble is we are flooded in. I live in Massachusettes and there
is no way to get to the vet right now. I probably won't make it before
Wed. or Thu.

He's clearly hungry for his normal food. When I give him the tuna
juice he's very happy.

Today I put some of his dry food in the blender with some tuna. He ate
some of that but he is picky. I'm just happy he's eating something.

Old May 17th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Maybe, if you haven't tried already, you could buy a small bag of 'stomach
sensitive' catfood, and see how he takes it. I always feed them stuff with
"Sensitive" on it (I think the brand is TechniCal). It's dry food, and
supposed to be easily digestible.

A trip to the vet is definately recommended though. I'm not sure it's
hairballs.. I have had loads of cats during a decade or so, and I've never
seen any barf up hair with their food. Just hair, period. And, they
specially come inside to do it.

ups.com...

Old May 18th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

JD wrote:

A trip to the vet is definately recommended though. I'm not sure it's
hairballs.. I have had loads of cats during a decade or so, and I've never
seen any barf up hair with their food. Just hair, period.

Ours does, always has. Food, not much digested, with hair included.
Usually after eating kitty grass.

DB

Old May 19th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

He seems better. I kept him on smooth food and hair ball medicine for
three days. Yesterday I tried the dry food and he was fine. I think
he may have chomped on some dried flowers that I have and a twig got
stuck. As you might imagine those flowers are gone.

I'm keeping an eye on him. So far so good. If it recurrs I will take
him straight to the vet.

Thanks for the help.

Jane