[OT] What a Deal!!

Old June 30th 05, 03:27 AM
CatNipped

Default [OT] What a Deal!!

When I was riding my bike* back up to my house tonight, I saw a work-out
machine on the curb being thrown out by our neighbors three doors down.
This thing is in perfect condition - with all the parts.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Exercise/

I thought it might encourage DH to work out (since I can't get him to ride
his bike with me. But, to get this home Ben lifted the whole thing onto the
back of the truck and then unloaded it into our garage *ALL BY HIMSELF*!!!!
Actually when we got to the house he had me put the dolly under one end so I
could "pull" while he lifted and "pushed", but I ended up riding on the
dolly and he ended up pushing *me* along with the machine. Now the weights
on the machine add up to 250 pounds all by themselves. Then add in the
additional weight of the steel frame *and* add in my 125 pounds and you
start to get an idea of how strong this guy really is!!! :O

*I seriously need a new seat for my bike and would appreciate some advice
from biking enthusiasts here. The only thing that makes me stop riding in
the evenings is that my fanny gets so sore. Keep in mind that I no longer
have all that padding back there (well, it's still there, but now it's
somewhere in the vicinity of the back of my knees), so this bony old @$$ is
grinding into that hard plastic seat and it *HURTS*. I've read some people
here write that the banana seats are best but I'm having trouble believing
that since they look very uncomfortable. Anyway, any suggestions on a
comfortable seat (remember that I sit and ride, I don't ever "stand" when
I'm riding).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 30th 05, 03:37 AM
Beatrice Kitten

I can't believe someone was throwing THAT away. Where do you live, Japan???

Old June 30th 05, 03:37 AM
CatNipped

"Beatrice Kitten" wrote in message
I can't believe someone was throwing THAT away. Where do you live,

Japan???

I know! Like I said it was in perfect condition. The couple is young and
healthy looking and they have a garage (which, granted, looked pretty
stuffed with stuff, but then so is ours and I just pushed things to the side
to make room!).

Hugs,

CatNipped --- lives just north of Houston, TX

Old June 30th 05, 03:55 AM
Victor Martinez

Beatrice Kitten wrote:
I can't believe someone was throwing THAT away. Where do you live, Japan???

Nope, Houston. Ranked #1 fattest city in the US by Men's Health
Magazine. Stuff used to calculate the ranking include: fast food
restaurants per capita, health clubs per capita, etc. I guess the
neighbors decided that since they weren't going to use the machine, it
needed to find another home...

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 30th 05, 04:02 AM
Mary

"Beatrice Kitten" wrote in message
I can't believe someone was throwing THAT away. Where do you live,

Japan???

Houston. Where a cheating-soon-to-be ex will soon be wondering where
all his stuff went?

Old June 30th 05, 04:03 AM
Mary

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Beatrice Kitten wrote:
I can't believe someone was throwing THAT away. Where do you live,

Japan???

Nope, Houston. Ranked #1 fattest city in the US by Men's Health
Magazine. Stuff used to calculate the ranking include: fast food
restaurants per capita, health clubs per capita, etc. I guess the
neighbors decided that since they weren't going to use the machine, it
needed to find another home...

Some of the self-respecting Texans I have known would try the
thing once, let it sit in the house until they stubbed their toes on
it twice, then put it curbside and order pizza and beer to celebrate
their good sense!

Old June 30th 05, 06:42 AM
badwilson

That *is* a good deal. I can't believe they didn't even at least try
to sell it at a garage sale or something. My friend has a similar
machine in her spare bedroom. I like free weights myself but you can
still get a decent workout with this thing.
About the bike seat, I'm no expert but I have a gel seatcover and it
works pretty good for me.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old June 30th 05, 02:18 PM
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message

*I seriously need a new seat for my bike and would appreciate some advice
from biking enthusiasts here.

Hugs,

CatNipped

My sister, brother, and sister-in-law are bike enthusiasts
(exercise/recreation, not competitive) who ride considerable distances. In
fact, my sister recently participated in a week-long bike-a-thon to raise
money for cancer research where they rode approximately 50 miles a day. My
sister-in-law is very slender and doesn't have an ounce of fat anywhere on
her (and therefore has no natural "padding")! She said she prefers a rather
wide, cushioned seats. She likes the ones made by Oasis and Cloud 9. She
said that both companies make many styles, and some bike stores will even
let you try one out for a short time.

MaryL

Old June 30th 05, 02:50 PM
CatNipped

Beatrice Kitten wrote:
I can't believe someone was throwing THAT away. Where do you live,

Japan???

Nope, Houston. Ranked #1 fattest city in the US by Men's Health
Magazine. Stuff used to calculate the ranking include: fast food
restaurants per capita, health clubs per capita, etc. I guess the
neighbors decided that since they weren't going to use the machine, it
needed to find another home...

Some of the self-respecting Texans I have known would try the
thing once, let it sit in the house until they stubbed their toes on
it twice, then put it curbside and order pizza and beer to celebrate
their good sense!

HEY! I resemble that remark!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 30th 05, 03:08 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-30, CatNipped penned:

*I seriously need a new seat for my bike and would appreciate some
advice from biking enthusiasts here. The only thing that makes me
stop riding in the evenings is that my fanny gets so sore. Keep in
mind that I no longer have all that padding back there (well, it's
still there, but now it's somewhere in the vicinity of the back of
my knees), so this bony old @$$ is grinding into that hard plastic
seat and it *HURTS*. I've read some people here write that the
banana seats are best but I'm having trouble believing that since
they look very uncomfortable. Anyway, any suggestions on a
comfortable seat (remember that I sit and ride, I don't ever "stand"
when I'm riding).

The thing about bicycle saddles is that they're incredibly personal.
On person's favorite saddle will be another person's torture device.

*Where* does it hurt? I mean, specifically. Does it feel like
bruising on your sit bones (ischial tuberosities)? That's normal when
you start riding and your body isn't used to it yet. Other pain, like
friction or pressure, is a different matter.

Now, almost every person who rides a lot will swear by a hard, narrow
saddle, not a soft one. Soft ones feel good in the first half hour,
but after several hours, there's just not enough support. Narrow is
good for mountain biking because you need to be able to get behind the
saddle for some maneuvers. But neighborhood riders will more
typically have big, spongy-looking saddles.

The key to finding a saddle you like is to try lots of saddles. Try
to find a LBS (local bike shop) that will allow you to exchange
saddles as long as they are undamaged.

These links may be useful:

Women's Favorite Saddles:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Women's Most-Hated Saddles:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Bear in mind that a saddle that one person hates may be perfect for
you anyway.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully