How Is Madeleine?

Old January 29th 07, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

Default How Is Madeleine?

I haven't been able to stop thinking and worrying about Madeleine and keep
looking for a report on her. What is going on with her?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 29th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lump

On Jan 29, 4:14 am, "cindys" wrote:
I haven't been able to stop thinking and worrying about Madeleine and keep
looking for a report on her. What is going on with her?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

I'm sorry about that. That's so kind of you to think of her, thank
you.

At the moment, she is back at our regular vet getting more fluids and
he is going to try a pain shot that is different from the pain meds
she originally had and that he told us to stop giving her, after we
told him what was going on and took her in last week.

All her vital organs seem fine and she is responsive and aware but she
still can't stand up and won't eat on her own.

Yesterday was a nightmare, we were force feeding her all day but it
was hard to get very much down her at a time because she either
wouldn't swallow or her legs would convulse and she seemed to be in
pain. But we were afraid to give her the pain meds that we had, and
we were afraid to stop feeding her. It was really awful, as we felt
like we were traumatizing her every time we fed her.

I thought she might really be dying, yesterday, because i couldn't get
it out of my head what the vet at the emergency clinic said. And the
way Madeleine was reacting really scared me and i spent most of the
day crying.

I am much more hopeful today. Our vet was very good with her and he
seemed quite optimistic that she would be okay. He said it could be a
bad reaction to the anesthesia or a stroke, or perhaps that just the
pain was inhibiting her recovery. So he wanted to try the pain shot
along with more fluids and force feeding, and see how that went.

So, right now, i am just waiting to pick her up again and feeling much
better about things than i was yesterday.

I am really touched by your kindness. Thank you for thinking of my
sweet Madeleine.

Old January 29th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:52:11 GMT, "Lump" wrote:

Thank you for thinking of my
sweet Madeleine.

Thank you for the update. I'm sure many of us have been thinking of her.

I'm sorry she is not doing better. I'm so glad she is yours and that you
are doing everything possible to help her recover. Some people wouldn't.
I can't even begin to fathom that attitude, but it happens.

Please do let us know how she fares, and don't lose hope.

--
Lynne
Old January 29th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Lump" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jan 29, 4:14 am, "cindys" wrote:
I haven't been able to stop thinking and worrying about Madeleine and
keep
looking for a report on her. What is going on with her?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

I'm sorry about that. That's so kind of you to think of her, thank
you.

At the moment, she is back at our regular vet getting more fluids and
he is going to try a pain shot that is different from the pain meds
she originally had and that he told us to stop giving her, after we
told him what was going on and took her in last week.

All her vital organs seem fine and she is responsive and aware but she
still can't stand up and won't eat on her own.

I think the fact that her vital organs are fine is a very positive sign. As
long as that continues to be the case, that will hopefully give her the time
she needs to recover.

Yesterday was a nightmare, we were force feeding her all day but it
was hard to get very much down her at a time because she either
wouldn't swallow or her legs would convulse and she seemed to be in
pain. But we were afraid to give her the pain meds that we had, and
we were afraid to stop feeding her. It was really awful, as we felt
like we were traumatizing her every time we fed her.

I thought she might really be dying, yesterday, because i couldn't get
it out of my head what the vet at the emergency clinic said.

Try hard to ignore that. It was thoughtless. From your description,
Madeleine doesn't sound like she is dying. I think if she were, her vital
organs would be starting to shut down.

And the
way Madeleine was reacting really scared me and i spent most of the
day crying.

I can understand. Many years ago, I had a very bad experience with a
veterinarian. At the time, Molly was only two years old, and she was one of
those cats who threw up a lot. I had taken her in for her annual checkup,
and in the course of conversation, I asked the (newly graduated from
veterinary school) vet why did Molly throw up so much ? This idiot vet told
me that it could be renal amyloidosis, which is common in Abyssinian cats
(which Molly was, but we actually found her as a stray), and that for that
matter, that veterinarian told me there was another cat at the veterinary
hospital even as we spoke who was dying from renal amyloidosis (the vet must
have had renal amyloidosis on the brain). After that, I was a wreck, crying
constantly, convinced that my cat was dying. In retrospect, I realize how
foolish that was. Lots of cats throw up. It's not a diagnosis. And Molly
seemed perfectly healthy otherwise. My husband and I were in the process of
adopting a baby at the time, and whenever someone would ask "Aren't you so
excited about getting the baby?" I would want to cry because all I could
think about was that my cat was dying. It took me two weeks to realize that
the cat was in fact not dying. In the end, Molly lived to be 17 years old
(it was devastating when I finally had to say goodbye for real), but she
obviously did not have renal amyloidosis, and that veterinarian never should
have said such a thing (based on the total lack of any evidence).

I am much more hopeful today. Our vet was very good with her and he
seemed quite optimistic that she would be okay.

Well, there you go! And your vet is optimistic, you have every reason to be
optimistic too!

He said it could be a
bad reaction to the anesthesia or a stroke, or perhaps that just the
pain was inhibiting her recovery.

And with time, she would in all likelihood recovery from any of these. Cats
are very resilient.

So he wanted to try the pain shot
along with more fluids and force feeding, and see how that went.

So, right now, i am just waiting to pick her up again and feeling much
better about things than i was yesterday.

Good. Give her lots of hugs and kisses.

I am really touched by your kindness. Thank you for thinking of my
sweet Madeleine.

Please keep updating us.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old January 30th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lump

Thanks again for your kind thoughts!

When we first went to pick her up this afternoon, the veterinary
doctor seemed a bit down and said that he didn't think the pain shot
had helped as much as he thought it might. He said he was able to
feed her but she hadn't seemed to have improved. And when i went in
to get her and saw her, my heart sank a little because she still
seemed the same. They gave me their feeding syringe and asked if i'd
like to try it out on her there, so i did, and i had the same problems
as before.

However, when she got home and i put her on my (newly cleaned) bed,
she seemed more energetic. She still can't walk on her own, but when
i give her some support, she shows strength in her legs that she had
completely lost before.

She kept moving around and seemed motivated by something. I finally
took her to the litter box and she actually started to use her
forearms to try to dig! I held her up for just a few seconds, then i
turned her around the way she usually stands when she urinates, and
she went in the litter box.

I put her back on my bed and she was trying to walk around on her own,
which she hasn't done for days. When she looked at me, she was
purring, and her face and eyes had their usual lovely expression
back.

On top of that, i brought her a small bowl of wet food, without much
hope, but just in case - and she gobbled it right up, all on her own!

I think the pain shot must have helped. I think that maybe the doctor
and the assistants didn't notice because Madeleine tends to be afraid
of strangers; and she especially does not like going to the vet. So
of course she must have been scared the whole time and that is
probably why they did not notice an improvement.

But she has definitely improved! We called them back and told them of
all the changes we noticed. The doctor was very happy to hear it and
said that if she needed another pain shot, he could do another one on
Wednesday but preferrably Thursday (as he is afraid to overdo the pain
shots).

I am hoping that we can teach her to walk again, as she already seems
much stronger. She still doesn't have her coordination back, but both
my cat and i are very, very happy this evening! She is right up
beside me, purring and dozing off. She is really herself again, at
least in spirit.

I'd like to thank you all again for your advice and support, it has
really helped me!

Old January 30th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lump" wrote

I'd like to thank you all again for your advice and support, it has
really helped me!

We're pulling for you and sweet little Madeleine. It's great to
see the good care you are giving her.

Old January 30th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:11:45 GMT, "cybercat" wrote:

We're pulling for you and sweet little Madeleine. It's great to
see the good care you are giving her.

Oh, yes!! This is wonderful news! She is so lucky to have you to care for
her.

--
Lynne
Old January 30th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

Hurray, hurray! I have a really good feeling that Madeleine will be walking
on her own with a day or two and will be back to her old self within a week.
Keep the good news coming!
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

oups.com...

Old January 30th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catz carer

On 30 Jan, 01:07, "Lump" wrote:
[...]

We are all thinking of you around the world (uk) and rooting for both
you & sweet Madeleine too.

Never give up hope and share as much cuddles and love as you are able
to.
I firmly believe that the power of love knows no bounds when it comes
to our feline friends..
Best Wishes and love from all here including the furrballs too of
course..
S;o)

Old January 30th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Yay! That is so wonderful that she is coming back. She probably felt so
good to be home again. Eating and using the litter box -- what a cat!

You might ask the vet if he/she will give you the pain shots to give at
home. We were able to do that for our sick cat and not haul her back and
forth to the vet.

Will be waiting for another update,

Rhonda