A Plea to owners of cats with Interstitial Cystitis

Old November 15th 03, 02:15 PM
IHATESPAM

Default A Plea to owners of cats with Interstitial Cystitis

I wanted to make a plea to all owners of cats who suffer from
Interstitial Cystitis.

There are some treatments available to cats, such as Elavil, etc. (the
same meds that are used in humans with the disease, by the way!) which
may help the cats be comfortable.

If, however, no treatment works for your cat, and your cat still
clearly has the symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis, please consider the
difficult choice of putting your cat to sleep rather than letting the
cat suffer.

As a human sufferer of Interstitial Cystitis, who was in considerable
pain and urinating 60-70 times per day/night for three years until
recently finding a treatment that worked and a urologist who did not
tell me just to "live with the symptoms," I can tell you that no
person or animal should be left in that kind of misery. IC pain has
been compared to the pain of end-stage cancer. I can not even find
words to describe how miserable this disease is, if there are no
treatments that work. One of Dr. Kevorkian's "patients" was an IC
sufferer who had reached the end of her rope as far as the suffering
went. I truly believe it is more kind to put an animal to sleep than
to let it suffer the symptoms of IC, if no treatment works.

Thank you,
L.
Old November 16th 03, 12:51 AM
IHATESPAM

m. L. Briggs wrote in message . ..

No treatments for IC are uniformly effective for all IC patients.
There are a large range of treatments, all of which help some patients
but not others.

For me, Elmiron greatly reduced my symptoms. A recent study showed,
however, that only 27% of patients obtain relief using Elmiron which
supposedly acts to rebuild the GAG layer of the bladder. So I am part
of the lucky 27%.

I have read many stories of IC patients who were driven to surgical
removal of the bladder to obtain relief, following countless failed
therapies. Others find that one therapy or another provides
significant relief, while still others find that they can cope with
the illness by use of narcotic medications for pain.

I am not sure which of these therapies is available for cats, but
would urge owners to try every available therapy.

Thanks, L.

On 15 Nov 2003 05:15:59 -0800, (IHATESPAM)

wrote:

[...]

Why don't you tell us what treatment "finally worked"?

Old November 16th 03, 01:25 AM

I wanted to make a plea to all owners of
cats who suffer from Interstitial
Cystitis.
There are some treatments available to
cats, such as Elavil, etc. (the same
meds that are used in humans with the
disease, by the way!) which may help the
cats be comfortable.
If, however, no treatment works for your
cat, and your cat still clearly has the
symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis,
please consider the difficult choice of
putting your cat to sleep rather than
letting the cat suffer.

I'm not sure why you've come here to tell people to put their cats to
sleep, but it is really unnecessary and unconscionable for you to do so.
There are effective treatments for dealing with IC in cats and there is
absolutely NO reason that a cat should have to be euthanized just
because it has IC. I have not one, but TWO cats with IC and they have
been treated successfully with diet, Cosequin, and keeping their lives
as stress free as possible. One recently had a flare-up, his first in
over a year, and I put him back on Amitriptyline short term which did
the trick. This worst case scenario you present below is blowing things
way out of proportion WRT cats.

As a human sufferer of Interstitial
Cystitis, who was in considerable pain
and urinating 60-70 times per day/night
for three years until recently finding a
treatment that worked and a urologist
who did not tell me just to "live with
the symptoms," I can tell you that no
person or animal should be left in that
kind of misery. IC pain has been
compared to the pain of end-stage
cancer. I can not even find words to
describe how miserable this disease is,
if there are no treatments that work.

You are relating your personal experience, which has no bearing on how
cats generally experience IC.

One of Dr. Kevorkian's "patients" was an
IC sufferer who had reached the end of
her rope as far as the suffering went. I
truly believe it is more kind to put an
animal to sleep than to let it suffer
the symptoms of IC, if no treatment
works.

Since treatment does work, and since your human experience cannot be
compared to what a cat might experience since they can't tell us what
that is your point is, well, pointless and alarmist and frankly I don't
appreciate your blowing this issue out of proportion.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing