declaw or not to declaw?

Old March 29th 08, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default declaw or not to declaw?

"hopitus" wrote in message

Eh, assuming the OP actually has a cat that still has claws, its pretty
clear that the OP intends to declaw said cat no matter what we say, which
begs the question of why they'd bother to ask on a newsgroup when they've
already made up their mind.

The conclusion is obvious.

Yowie

OK here's a slice of real life, not an assumption, not politics, not
science, not
an assertion. I have a huge cat who was declawed by a former owner. He
knows
he is loved; he's been with me since 4/2000. He is pushing 8 years
old. He bites.
me, his cat companions (Moosker has all her claws and when she has
had
enough of his crap, she will let him have it - as they say, with all 4
feet). He
bites when he's happy, when he's annoyed, you name it.
This is obnoxious but I have never considered getting rid of him.

Of course he will bite. He cannot defend himself if he is declawed.
It is a disgusting practice to have cats declawed and one day America will
wake up to it. I hope it is soon.

Tweed

Old March 29th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Shiral wrote:

On Mar 29, 12:05?pm, Annie wrote:

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

I don't value the welfare of animals over people. However, I do value
the welfare of animals over *furniture*.

If you think your own welfare is determined by the condition of your
furniture, I think you need to get out more.

Just cut off the first joint of all your own fingers, first. If you
care for your furniture more than your cat, you shouldn't have a cat.

I think it would be cruel even if it didn't involve amputation of part
of their fingers. Even if it were possible to remove nothing more
than the claw itself, I still wouldn't think of doing it. Cats *need*
their claws.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 29th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

Default DON'T FALL FOR IT

"Matthew"

"Karen AKA Kajikit"
Don't fall for it Karen. Look at how it was posted the style of writing.
A nobody posting from a known trouble ISP means troll IMO.

All it is is someone trying to stir up problems if not they know what
google is.

It always starts with a nobody or newbie with one of the debates either
insode/outside or declaw/not to declaw

PEOPLE DON'T FALL FOR IT

Well, I did fall for it
Sorry
Kyla

Old March 29th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Mar 29, 4:30 pm, Annie wrote:
"Matthew" wrote :

"Annie" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in
:

"Annie" wrote in message
.. .
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing

up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the

welfare
of
animals over that of people

annie

Try Google and learn something

"Is Declawing really that cruel?"
http://network.bestfriends.org/Blogs...etail.aspx?bp=

325
"Declawing cats is a very hot topic for debate. For many
years now, animal rights people have lied and deceived the
public into believing that declawing cats is the most
inhumane and horrible procedure on the planet. The truth

is,
is a common surgical procedure done under anesthesia and

if
done correctly, there will not be any lasting effects..."

Hopefully this group won't fall for some nobody starting
this debate
gain specially one from a known troll ISP

thank you for that warm welcome

WOW A BLOG site which you did not read all the way thru

You know what here is something to learn after this if you

are not a
troll your comment should be OMG I WAS GOING TO DO THIS TO

MY CAT
http://www.declawing.com/
http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawpics.html PAY VERY

CLOSE
ATTENTION TO THIS
http://www.amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html
http://community-2.webtv.net/zuzu22/STOPDECLAWCOM/
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health/declawing.html
http://www.de-clawing.com/
http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm

this is a
group member website

Google is your friendhttp://www.google.com/search?

hl=en&q=declawing

After this your comments will tell us the truth

anyone who believes declawing is not as bad as some people
make it out to be must be a troll?

No. However, I think you would agree that declawing is unacceptable if
you examined the evidence carefully. If your mind was made up, why
would you post somewhere where you would get no support. I hate PETA;
they condemn people for having pets at all. But declawing is inhumane
and that's that.

I am rather uncaring about furniture. In fact, the last thing a woman
said when she dumped me was "Bill, you are fifty and you don't even
have any furniture you care about." I was really puzzled by that
because I didn't think I SHOULD care about furniture. However, keeping
the furniture reasonable safe from cats is not difficult and does not
require surgery.

Manicuring a cat's nails frequently is not inhumane at all and can be
done even with an extremely difficult cat. I know beccause our Missy
hates human beings and lives to put someone in an emergency room and I
"do" her nails every so often. It's only a _little_ blood. As to why
we keep a cat who hates people. Because no one else would want her.

--

Will in New Haven
See the False as False

Sakyamuni Buddha c 500BCE
Old March 29th 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXette
Annie

ive covered up the furniture and put out a scratching post
and a flat board with carpet on it

i tried catching mitzi scratching the furniture and moving
her to the cat post or the board and encouraging her to use
it

when that didnt work i tried yelling no and then moving her
when that didnt work i tried a squirt gun
when that didnt work i tried clipping her nails short

Have you tried SoftPaws, or something like it? These are coverings
that the vet would put onto her claws.

Check this out:
http://www.softpaws.com/

Also, there are sprays you can squirt onto furniture that smell bad
to a cat and would discourage them from visiting that area, but
wouldn't smell bad to a human. You might ask at a pet store or ask
your vet about that. I hear that cats don't like the smell of citrus,
so maybe a citrus spray would help?

Another thing that some people have tried is to put aluminum foil
onto places where they don't want their cat going, touching, scratching,
etc. Apparently, cats can't stand the feeling of it. I've mostly heard
this used to stop a cat from peeing on places they shouldn't, and I'm
sure it's much easier to put aluminum foil on a flat surface than on the
arms of a couch or chair, but you might give it a try. At the same time,
rub some catnip on her scratching post, and see if she gets used to using
that. You wouldn't have to keep the foil on your furniture forever, just
until she's "retrained" into using the scratching post.

Also, get her a couple more scratching posts, and put them right next
to the places on the furniture where she scratches. I have a scratching
post next to one arm of my couch where the cats used to scratch, and
they switched to the scratching post when I got them that. But they
still continued to scratch the *other* arm of the couch, when they were
on that end... too lazy to go over to their scratching post! So I got
a second scratching post and put it next to the other arm - voila, no
more scratching the couch. Maybe your cat needs one or two more
scratching posts to divert her attention?

Great idea Joyce, and I might add, add some catnip to the scratching posts
too. Your info about cats not liking the citrus smell was new to me,
and I'll give that one a try .
Thanks for your advice hon
Hug
Kyla

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Old March 29th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default now I feel like an idiot was declaw or not to declaw??

Kyla =^..^= wrote:
I feel like a real idiot for responding to this thread, but I did
tell this person what I thought. Being new here, I had no idea she
was a troll :/ But, I let her know I was totally against de-clawing
and why Hug
Kyla

Doesn't require being a newbie to *this* newsgroup to figure out a troll.
We try to give people the benefit if the doubt but it's obvious from the
get-go if they want to argue after getting good information they are just
here to stir up trouble.

Are you completely new to Usenet? You keep mentioning this Floyd group but
I'm starting to wonder if it's some Yahoo group, not Usenet. (Totally
different creatures, you know.)

Jill

Old March 29th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 29, 4:54 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

Are you completely new to Usenet? You keep mentioning this Floyd group but
I'm starting to wonder if it's some Yahoo group, not Usenet. (Totally
different creatures, you know.)

Email lists can be controlled. If someone trolls an email list, they
can be kicked off. The same is not true of Usenet.

Nonetheless, if someone appears (to me) to be making a sincere inquiry,
I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't care if it's "obvious"
to others that the person just wants to stir up trouble. I go by my own
intuition, right or wrong.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 29th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"jmcquown"
Kyla =^..^= wrote:
I feel like a real idiot for responding to this thread, but I did
tell this person what I thought. Being new here, I had no idea she
was a troll :/ But, I let her know I was totally against de-clawing
and why Hug
Kyla

Doesn't require being a newbie to *this* newsgroup to figure out a troll.
We try to give people the benefit if the doubt but it's obvious from the
get-go if they want to argue after getting good information they are just
here to stir up trouble.

Ah, I see....

Are you completely new to Usenet?

Nope, I've been on Usenet for about 11 years

You keep mentioning this Floyd group but
I'm starting to wonder if it's some Yahoo group, not Usenet. (Totally
different creatures, you know.)

Jill

Um it's a 'real' usenet group. alt.music.pink-floyd.
I've been there for almost 11 years and was bestowed the title of Den Mom
around that time, back before it got really boring, like it is now.
Each month I put up a *Any April Bithrdays* (or the 'proper month)
(we have our own mis spellings) and if someone has a birthday,
I'll put up a post for them, along with an mp3 of the bithrday song played
on the kazoo.
It's a hoot. I, who will be 63 next month am still the 'oldest'
poster there
We used to have Holiday Gift exchanges, that I also started back then.
Now, that has gone away as well...
I've sent plastic kazoos all over the world with a sticker of the
'dark side of the moon' prism on them , about 8 years ago.
But, now it's full of trolls, and has gotten really boring.
Only a few of the regular posters left, sad it is.
Was that helpful to you Jill?
BTW, I loved your 'appetizer' recipe G
Hug
Kyla
--off to take a shower before our guest arrives
for a much needed week-end with us.

Old March 29th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"hopitus"
On Mar 29, 4:54 pm, "jmcquown" :
Kyla =^..^= wrote:
I feel like a real idiot for responding to this thread, but I did
tell this person what I thought. Being new here, I had no idea she
was a troll :/ But, I let her know I was totally against de-clawing
and why Hug
Kyla

Doesn't require being a newbie to *this* newsgroup to figure out a troll.
We try to give people the benefit if the doubt but it's obvious from the
get-go if they want to argue after getting good information they are just
here to stir up trouble.

Are you completely new to Usenet? You keep mentioning this Floyd group
but
I'm starting to wonder if it's some Yahoo group, not Usenet. (Totally
different creatures, you know.)

Jill

Looks like Pink Floyd never has any trolls. This is entirely possible.

Not on the one I subscribe to...alt.music.pink-floyd.
Major trolls there, who end up in my KF
Is that the one you look at?
There are lots of PF groups

Some of the ngs I am a reg on never do either. You troll them if you
want to be gazing at a smoking lump of melted plastic and alloy metal.
They are not "sweet", and I am not hopitus there.

LOL...which one do you subscribe to? I'll go in and take a peek .
amp-f is un moderated.

Hug
Kyla

Old March 29th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

bastXXXette
On Mar 29, 4:54 pm, "jmcquown"
Are you completely new to Usenet? You keep mentioning this Floyd group
but
I'm starting to wonder if it's some Yahoo group, not Usenet. (Totally
different creatures, you know.)

Email lists can be controlled. If someone trolls an email list, they
can be kicked off. The same is not true of Usenet.

Ah yes, as I found with Flippy's mailing list..Comcast did that and I had to
un-subscribe and then re-subscribe. I NEED my daily cat LOL's from her
'lists'

Nonetheless, if someone appears (to me) to be making a sincere inquiry,
I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't care if it's "obvious"
to others that the person just wants to stir up trouble. I go by my own
intuition, right or wrong.

Joyce

Please believe me Joyce,
I NEVER try and cause trouble, that's not who I am.
Good idea to use your intuition
Hug
Kyla

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.