declaw or not to declaw?

Old March 29th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default declaw or not to declaw?

On Mar 29, 4:26*pm, Annie wrote:
Annie wrote :

"Matthew" wrote in
:

"Annie" wrote in message
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the

welfare
of
animals over that of people

annie

Try Google and learn something

"Is Declawing really that cruel?"
http://network.bestfriends.org/Blogs...il.aspx?bp=325

whoops
wrong linkhttp://www.geocities.com/declawing/

"Declawing cats is a very hot topic for debate. For many
years now, animal rights people have lied and deceived the
public into believing that declawing cats is the most
inhumane and horrible procedure on the planet. The truth

is,
is a common surgical procedure done under anesthesia and if
done correctly, there will not be any lasting effects..."

this is a very good article that rebuts many of the
assertions made by people who are against declawing

here's more

"Another misconception is that most cats surrendered to
shelters are declawed. The oposite is true, declawed cats are
more likely to keep their homes. From Veterinary Partner: In
a study of 276 cat owners, declawing successfully met or
surpassed the owner?s expectations in all cases. There was
96% owner satisfaction at the time of the study (up from 81%
prior to surgery) and over 70% of cat owners indicated that
there was an improvement in the cat-owner relationship. In a
study of veterinarians in Ontario, it was estimated that over
50% of owners of declawed cats would not have owned or kept
their cats, had they not been declawed. Declawing cats may
save their lives! If you are still in doubt, here is an
experiment you can do yourself. Petfinder.com is a website
where shelters through US can advertise the animals they have
for adoption. If you go to their quick animal search, select
cat and type a zip code, you will notice that there are very
few declawed cats that were surrendered to the shelters.
Declawed cats will have the picture of a paw in the
"features" field and is very easy to compare how many
declawed vs non-declawed cats are homeless."- Hide quoted text -

Those statistics are skewed, and meaningless. Of course more clawed
cats land in shelters--shelters get ferals, strays, unwanted litters,
PLUS
owner-relinquished pets. Declawing costs a LOT of money. Pet owners
who end up dumping their cats in shelters aren't exactly the kind of
people to spend several hundred dollars on declaw -- or on ANY kind
veterinary service. In our case, our shelter is in a rural county, and
rural
people generally keep indoor/outdoor cats, and *know* that a declawed
cat cannot go outdoors.
"Declaw or Die" is a fallacy created by veterinarians for whom declaw
surgery
makes up a good percentage of their revenue.

Sherry
Old March 30th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On 29 Mar 2008 20:05:05 +0100, Annie wrote:
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

It is cruel. NEVER DECLAW.

If kitty is seen clawing furniture, make a noise to indicate tha you
don't like the behavior. Supply something else to claw. If you and kitty
are friends, you won't get your furniture clawed.

Otherwise, you shouldn't keep cats. They deserve a modicum of respect.
Old March 30th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

Default Navy Bean Soup just in case (WAS: declaw or not to declaw?)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Annie wrote:
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

Methinks this is a clever troll (is that an oxymoron?)

For those where winter is still hanging on, how about a pot of my dad's
Navy Bean Soup?

1 lb. dried navy beans or any small dried white beans (soaked per package
directions)
2 meaty ham hocks or a large ham bone with meat on it
1 bay leaf
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
8 cups water

Place soaked beans in a large stock pot. Cover well with 8 cups water.
Add bay
leaf, garlic, onion, pepper and bone or ham hocks. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low;
cover and simmer about 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove hocks or
ham
bone and chop the meat into bite-sized pieces; add meat back to soup.
Add more
water if needed during cooking. Heat through. Remove the bay leaf.
Season to taste.

Jill

Sounds delicious. Should bring the cats running, too.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old March 30th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Annie" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in
:

"Annie" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in
:

"Annie" wrote in message
i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing

up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the

welfare
of
animals over that of people

annie

Try Google and learn something

"Is Declawing really that cruel?"
http://network.bestfriends.org/Blogs...etail.aspx?bp=

325
"Declawing cats is a very hot topic for debate. For many
years now, animal rights people have lied and deceived the
public into believing that declawing cats is the most
inhumane and horrible procedure on the planet. The truth

is,
is a common surgical procedure done under anesthesia and

if
done correctly, there will not be any lasting effects..."

Hopefully this group won't fall for some nobody starting
this debate
gain specially one from a known troll ISP

thank you for that warm welcome

WOW A BLOG site which you did not read all the way thru

You know what here is something to learn after this if you

are not a
troll your comment should be OMG I WAS GOING TO DO THIS TO

MY CAT
http://www.declawing.com/
http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm
http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawpics.html PAY VERY

CLOSE
ATTENTION TO THIS
http://www.amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html
http://community-2.webtv.net/zuzu22/STOPDECLAWCOM/
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health/declawing.html
http://www.de-clawing.com/
http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm

this is a
group member website

Google is your friend http://www.google.com/search?

hl=en&q=declawing

After this your comments will tell us the truth

anyone who believes declawing is not as bad as some people
make it out to be must be a troll?

Yep. It is a fact that it is maiming a cat. Not a part of a belief system

Jo

Old March 30th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

So, we have the discussion anyway and, those who want to do it, do it and
those of us who don't like it don't. Fraid da troll won this time.
"Annie" wrote in message
hopitus wrote in
@y24g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

On Mar 29, 1:33 pm, "Matthew" Iamacatsl...

@proudtoserve.com wrote:
"Annie" wrote in message

i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing

up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the

welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

Try Google and learn something

Hopefully this group won't fall for some nobody starting

this debate
gain specially one from a known troll ISP

HelLO I thought this was one of the NOT topics in rpca

FACs.

what does that mean?

Old March 30th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"outsider" wrote in message
Annie wrote in
194.177.98.144:

i need to declaw my little mitzi because she is tearing up
the furniture but my sister says thats cruel

the vet says its fine and i believe him over my sister
because she is one of those peta nuts who puts the welfare of
animals over that of people

annie

Thank you for sharing

LOL, this troll isn't even subtle about it.

Pam S

Old March 30th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Billy Colburn

Christina Websell wrote in message:
,

TROLL ALERT!
Do not reply.

Are you the moderator here?

--
Billy Colburn

Old March 30th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Annie" wrote in message

this is a very good article that rebuts many of the
assertions made by people who are against declawing

Well, you got what you wanted. We're all in here playing your game. When
you come in here and tell us that you had your fingers amputated at the
first joint and it isn't all that bad, then I'll listen to you. You are a
sorry piece of garbage and my various fosters who were as neurotic as all
get out because of declawing have lots of dirty litter offerings for you.

STUPID SKANK.

Pam S