Egads!

Old December 5th 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Egads!

PatM wrote:

Hey, those piercing guns they use now are great! I really dislike
inflicting pain on myself but they did it so fast I hardly had time to
wail! But, oh man, at a jewelery store in the mall this mom was making
her little girl...maybe 4 or 5...have her ears pierced and she was
kicking and screaming up a storm, but the mom just told the clerks to
go ahead. You could see they didn't want to. I left! Poor kid.

There was a time when many cultures (Mexican, for one) had
their girl babies' ears pierced at birth (with tiny gold
studs inserted). It really DOESN'T hurt - maybe a little
discomfort - even when you're an adult, but why terrify your
kid, if she sees it as a frightening experience? (Unlike
vaccinations, ear-piercing is hardly one of life's necessities!)

I thought it hurt. Not very much, or for very long, but it did hurt. I
certainly wouldn't inflict it on a child who didn't want it.

Joy

Old December 6th 05, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In message , CatNipped
writes
I'm gone for the day and came home to 162 posts and an updated Holiday Card
list! It's going to take me a while to catch up!!

Just had to let you know, though, that after 54 years I finally got up the
courage to have my ears pierced!!! LOL! My granddaughters shamed me into
it - the oldest had her navel pierced earlier this year (don't ask me to
describe that as was told to me - I'm still shuddering)!!!!!!!!

And now you've opened up a whole new world of present-giving to those
around you ...

I had mine done when I was 13 as a birthday present; the beautician
sprayed some freezer stuff on the lobe, and then pierced it. Except it
was a hot summer, and my ear didn't stay frozen for more than a few
seconds :-(

I had them done for a second time when I was about 17, this time with
the piercing gun which was much faster and relatively painless. And my
mother wasn't happy. As far as she was concerned, multiple pierced ears
meant I was turning into some kind of punk rocker, which meant I would
end up taking drugs in a scuzzy basement somewhere by the time I was 18.
Why, oh why, couldn't I be like my friend Ann who always wore skirts
instead of jeans and always looked so ladylike?

You've guessed it - ladylike involved Ann having multiple pierced ears.

I still have both holes in each lobe, although I do tend towards only
wearing the one pair nowadays. I think I shall dig out a pair of studs
and wear two today though, in a fit of rebellion.

--
Cathi
Old December 6th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm gone for the day and came home to 162 posts and an updated Holiday
Card
list! It's going to take me a while to catch up!!

Just had to let you know, though, that after 54 years I finally got up the
courage to have my ears pierced!!! LOL! My granddaughters shamed me into
it - the oldest had her navel pierced earlier this year (don't ask me to
describe that as was told to me - I'm still shuddering)!!!!!!!!

I'll try to catch up in the morning - in the meantime, purrs to all who
need
them (heck, purrs to those who don't, too).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Well Go You!

I did mine when I was 14. I couldn't get up the courage to do the second one
so I think I walked around like Mr. Clean for three days getting up the
courage to do it. My Mom had heart failure when she discovered what I had
done and said I couldn't wear earrings until I was 16 while mumbling about
Ubangies and next I'd be piercing my nose etc. Of course, I wore earrings
at school and took them out at home until I was 16. Funny thing was Mom
eventually asked my sister and I to do hers because she was sick of losing
clip- on earrings.