Lost my best friend

Old September 9th 03, 10:46 PM
Rick

Default Lost my best friend

Hello,

My 12-year-old cat, Edie, died this morning. I lost her at 3 am this
morning, after a few agonizing hours (for
both of us, me mentally, her physically).

She had been sick recently, but after a round of anti-biotics, she
seemed to be getting much better.

But yesterday she start vomitting and crying severely, so I rushed
her to the hospital and she went down fast. I asked to see her about
an hour after I took her in and she didn't recognize me, her
breathing shallow, I feared she didn't have long. She went into
cardiac arrest 30 minutes laster.

She was the sweetest soul, human or anmimal, that I've ever known.
She was 12, but that was not long enough with her. A pretty
tortiseshell would often "washed" my hair at night and laid a gentle
paw on the back of hand as a few asleep.

I am absolutely destroyed. She didn't deserve this.

Rick
Old September 9th 03, 11:55 PM
Bingo

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote in
:

She was the sweetest soul, human or anmimal, that I've ever
known. She was 12, but that was not long enough with her. A
pretty tortiseshell would often "washed" my hair at night and
laid a gentle paw on the back of hand as a few asleep.

I am absolutely destroyed. She didn't deserve this.

Rick

Oh, god - I am so sorry! I know all too well how badly that
hurts. For what it's worth, Edie is now comfortable and healthy
at the Rainbow Bridge. The pain that you're feeling *does* get
better.

Thank you! I feel much worse for her and the terrible pain she
suffered than I do for myself. I let her down.
Old September 9th 03, 11:59 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Thank you! I feel much worse for her and the terrible pain she
suffered than I do for myself. I let her down.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do when they get sick, aside from
*trying* to be observant when their behavior changes and taking them
to the vet.

From the way you described things, you didn't let her down at all.
Sometimes those things just happen - they'll seem to be getting better,
then slip over the edge.

All we can do is love them and give them the best care we can.

Dan

Old September 10th 03, 12:12 AM
The Clowder

Rick wrote:

[...]

Aw, Rick, I'm so very sorry. There isn't an "easy" way to lose these
furred family members, not easy for *us*, but there is some comfort to
be found when they don't suffer for a very long time.

There are no words I can offer that will help you in any real way, but
please know that your grief is understood and respected. Most of us
here know all too well the gaping hole that is left in the heart when
a special friend goes on ahead. I can only promise you that the love
you shared will eventually triumph over the pain, that one day you'll
think of Edie and you will smile...because her place in your heart is
permanent and love never dies.

Next month on this newsgroup there will be an event called the
Jellicle Ball. It is a time to honor and pay tribute to those cats,
and friends of cats, who have made the trip to Rainbow Bridge. My
Mietze has been keeping a list of names of those Honorees whose names
will be called, if you would reply either here or via email (the
address on this is correct) and give Edie's "House of" name, she will
be included.

Melissa, with seven kitties purrrring softly for Edie's journey and
her human's aching heart
Old September 10th 03, 01:53 AM
Rick

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote in
:

Thank you! I feel much worse for her and the terrible pain she
suffered than I do for myself. I let her down.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do when they get sick,
aside from
*trying* to be observant when their behavior changes and
taking them
to the vet.

From the way you described things, you didn't let her down at
all.
Sometimes those things just happen - they'll seem to be getting
better, then slip over the edge.

All we can do is love them and give them the best care we can.

Dan

Thanks. I could have done better, acted sooner, etc. But it might
not have mattered. She did have multiple problems and I spent over
$1000 on tests. (I've been out of work for two years, so it's money
I don't have.) I wish there was more I could have done. She gave
*me* so much.
Old September 10th 03, 01:58 AM
Rick

(The Clowder (South)) wrote in
:

Rick wrote:

[...]

Pardon my denseness, but what does "House of" mean?
Old September 10th 03, 04:27 AM
Luvskats00

I'm so sorry to hear about Edie.
Old September 10th 03, 03:56 PM
Boogie's Mom

Exactly what Melissa said! You loved her and allowed her to love you back.
You did your very VERY best and Edie knew it. Blessings on you that your
heart should ease.

Regards,
Boogies Mom

"The Clowder (South)" wrote in message
news
Bingo wrote:

Dan and Nancy Mahoney wrote in
:

She was the sweetest soul, human or anmimal, that I've ever
known. She was 12, but that was not long enough with her. A
pretty tortiseshell would often "washed" my hair at night and
laid a gentle paw on the back of hand as a few asleep.

I am absolutely destroyed. She didn't deserve this.

Rick

Oh, god - I am so sorry! I know all too well how badly that
hurts. For what it's worth, Edie is now comfortable and healthy
at the Rainbow Bridge. The pain that you're feeling *does* get
better.

Thank you! I feel much worse for her and the terrible pain she
suffered than I do for myself. I let her down.

No, no, NO you did not! You got her to the vet's as soon as you knew
there was a problem...nobody could do any better than that. We are
not omniscient, we can only do the best we can with the things we
know...and, Bast bless 'em, cats are notoriously good at hiding
problems, sometimes until they are very bad indeed.

Much as we wish otherwise, there are things that happen that we cannot
control or make better. (And yet...there seems to always be an
element of second guessing and beating ourselves up when we are unable
to heal the unhealable.)

Melissa

Old September 11th 03, 12:31 AM
The Clowder

Rick wrote:

(The Clowder (South)) wrote in

Next month on this newsgroup there will be an event called the
Jellicle Ball. It is a time to honor and pay tribute to those
cats, and friends of cats, who have made the trip to Rainbow
Bridge. My Mietze has been keeping a list of names of those
Honorees whose names will be called, if you would reply either
here or via email (the address on this is correct) and give
Edie's "House of" name, she will be included.

Melissa, with seven kitties purrrring softly for Edie's journey
and her human's aching heart

Pardon my denseness, but what does "House of" mean?

Your last name. My cats are all "House of Patterson/Guyette", as my
name is Patterson and the SO is Guyette. (I get first billing since I
do the posting :-) )

Melissa