[OT] Letter of Resignation

Old May 28th 05, 03:45 PM
Catnipped

Default [OT] Letter of Resignation

OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

Re. Termination of Employment

Dear Sirs:

It has been both a pleasure and a privilege to have worked for you at CGI
(formerly Container-Care International) for the past thirteen months. I
have learned a lot during that time and hope that I have contributed
positively to the business as well.

So, it is with regret that I must tender to you my resignation.

I have been offered a job working at my first career choice, web
architecture.

Because of the pressing needs of my new employer I can only offer you one
week's notice, but intend to help, however I can, to ease any transition
issues you may face because of this short notice.

Since my new employment starts Monday, June 6, 2005, I think the best plan
of action would be to transition my administrative duties and, as Mr. XXXX
had previously suggested, contract to CGI, either through my new employer or
directly, any services you will need to continue the development of the
company intranet.

Thank you, all, for making my working experience here pleasant and
rewarding. I am going to miss working with you and I wish you and your
company success and prosperity.

Yours,

CatNipped

Old May 28th 05, 04:05 PM
Susan M

My letters have always been much shorter. Here in our oil patch, there's
been a lack of skilled workers for years :-) I only put in something really
positive when I really mean it and truly liked the person for whom I've
worked - a straight business letter will do for the other cases, IMHO. A
straight letter is like politely standing up yourself when you've been
working for such a mean-spirited person too - again IMHO.

Anyway, I would do something more like:

I have been offered a job working at my first career choice, web
architecture, and am tendering my resignation effective xxxx.

Because of early start date at my new employer, I can only offer one week
notice. As suggested by Mr. XX, if you require my expertise in relation to
the company intranet, my services be contracted either through my new
employer or directly.

Sincerely,

Crazy cat lady (optional)

Just my $0.02
Susan M
Otis and Chester
Kept cats

Old May 28th 05, 04:08 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Sat, 28 May 2005 09:45:22 -0500, "Catnipped"
wrote:

OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

I've written one of these before. They're kind of fun

Don't know what's right or wrong, but here are some comments solely
based on how I did mine.

Re. Termination of Employment

I called mine "Resignation". That way, it's clear to any reading this
in the future that they didn't terminate you, you resigned them.

Dear Sirs:

I wrote mine directly to my manager, and cc'd HR

It has been both a pleasure and a privilege to have worked for you at CGI
(formerly Container-Care International) for the past thirteen months. I
have learned a lot during that time and hope that I have contributed
positively to the business as well.

So, it is with regret that I must tender to you my resignation.

I have been offered a job working at my first career choice, web
architecture.

I didn't provide them any information about my new employment in my
letter. I told him when my boss asked, but otherwise I didn't think it
was any of their business.

Because of the pressing needs of my new employer I can only offer you one
week's notice, but intend to help, however I can, to ease any transition
issues you may face because of this short notice.

Since my new employment starts Monday, June 6, 2005, I think the best plan
of action would be to transition my administrative duties and, as Mr. XXXX
had previously suggested, contract to CGI, either through my new employer or
directly, any services you will need to continue the development of the
company intranet.

Again, I didn't bring up my new employer. I told them that I'd be
happy to transition my duties to anyone they designated and let it go
at that.

Thank you, all, for making my working experience here pleasant and
rewarding. I am going to miss working with you and I wish you and your
company success and prosperity.

Yours,

CatNipped

My comments aside, that's a nice letter

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old May 28th 05, 04:47 PM
Annie Wxill

"Catnipped" wrote in message
OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter
of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

CatNipped,

I think that overall, it is good because it presents a positive note and a
concrete solution to the need for the short notice. It does not burn bridges
and will not come back to bite you in the future.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

I would change the first paragraph to read:
"I appreciate the opportunity to have worked for GCI (formerly
Container-Care International) for the past 13 months. I learned a lot
during that time and believe that I contributed positively to the business
as well."

Second paragraph combine your second and third paragraphs as follows:
"Unfortunately, I must tender to you my resignation. I have been offered a
job working at my first career choice, web architecture.

The rest of the letter looks good to me.

If you want, you could mention at the end of the first paragraph some of
those positive contributions. You don't have to go overboard, but it will
re-enforce your value to the company and will look good in your file if
anyone needs to refer to it in the future.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Good luck in your new position.
Annie

Old May 28th 05, 05:06 PM
Helen Miles

"Catnipped" wrote in message

OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies!////

I've got a better one VBG

Dear a$$wipe,

Because you were such sh*ts to me and I was unable to do my job because
of the fact you are all unreasonable a$$holes, I've decided to get a
better job - which I now have - Hahaha.

BTW - I'm suing you and your company because I now have long term stress
no thanks to you!

Up yours,
Catnipped.

Then again, maybe not ;o)

On a serious note, It's a great letter although I personally wouldn't
tell them that you've moved back into web design - I'd leave that out
altogether. It's none of their beeswax.

Good news about the job!

Helen M

Old May 28th 05, 05:11 PM
Hopitus

Your letter is very good, I think. All suggestions of rpca posters look good
also; I totally agree w/don't elaborate on whom you're going to work for
when you leave. I would just leave out that entire paragraph starting with
"Since".......things may have changed since I was young in employment world,
but people haven't.

Old May 28th 05, 05:45 PM
Catnipped

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:314e48963d26b694737455cab8c00847.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Catnipped" wrote in message

[...]

ROTFLMAOWTIME! Oh how I *wish* I could send your letter instead! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 28th 05, 06:24 PM
mlbriggs

[...]

IMHO -- why bother with a letter? Just walk in and tell them you are
giving them one week's notice. Do not elaborate -- the less said the
better. If you feel you must write a letter, make it as simple as
possible and don't give excuses. MLB

Old May 28th 05, 07:20 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Catnipped wrote:
OK, I've never done this before!!! Working in the Oil and Gas industry as
I've done most of my life, I've always changed job because of a lay-off or
reorganization. So, please let me know what you think about this letter of
resignation (besides the fact that it's full of lies! ;):

Excellent letter!

Normally I wouldn't tell me soon-to-be-ex employer what I was moving on
to. But since you're suggesting that current employer contract with next
employer for your services, I think it's a good idea to do so.

Dan
Old May 28th 05, 07:53 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 28 May 2005 15:37:33 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
yodeled:

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
snip

My comments aside, that's a nice letter

Yes, a good letter. I agree with Jeanne that you don't need to give
details of what you are going to do, and I'd avoid 'transition', which
sounds a bit like jargon to me. Maybe 'transfer my files' or something.
Let's see, last time I did this (usually, when I've changed jobs, which
hasn't happened that often until recently, it's been something like 'the
money/work ran out, we can't renew your contract, it's been nice knowing
you', so I didn't need to write anything), I addressed it directly to the
senior person I was dealing with, started and ended with the usual polite
expressions about leaving (which you've done well), and in the middle
specified the exact date I was leaving, and in case there was any
uncertainty, pointed out that this date gave the amount of notice I was
required by contract to offer. I wasn't specific at all about why I was
leaving and where I was going. I think something vague about "accepted a
position which allows me to use and develop my interests and skills in
web design..." is all they need to know.

I would be careful about broad offers to keep on helping the soon-to-be
exes. Use weasel-words - "I may be able to contract some of the work" or
"I would be happy to discuss the possiblity of contracting some of the
work" or something. You don't want them to assume you'll keep on doing
everything just like always, and then getting annoyed when you don't,
because you're spending forty hours a week on the new job. Especially when
they have a history of expecting you to do far more work than was
reasonable.

Just want to piggyback here and say that I agree with all the above,
but add that is does NO HARM WHATEVER to couch it all in the most
sickening, fulsome, patently false "collegial" language about what a
privilege it was to work there, and how wonderful your colleagues and
boss were. Especially if your boss is Captain Ahab or Captain Queeg,
as my last boss was. I had to go, despite the fact that she tried to
hold employees by giving them terrible or no references to people who
"betrayed her" by getting completely fed up with her and leaving-- my
predecessor actually left by dropping a pile of files in the middle of
the floor where he stood, and walking out without a word. I gritted
my teeth, took Milk of Magnesia, and wrote an absolute paean to her
and her management techniques (which included not switching over from
DOS until 1998 :P), and was probably the first refugee in company
history to receive a glowing reference from her.

Of course, I really needed the reference-- you seem to be in great
shape.

Theresa