Water, water everywhere!

Old October 22nd 05, 02:50 PM
Karen AKA Kajikit

Default Water, water everywhere!

I was woken up at 2am by a horrible thunderstorm with lightning that
was right on top of us... I turned on the tv and watched for awhile
while John slept, then I went back to sleep, only to be woken up again
at 4am by another one (or the same one coming back again...) The rain
was torrential, and when we woke up this morning John looked out the
front door to see what it was like - and the lake flooded!
So much for their extensive drainage project... there was far more
rain than it could handle. I wandered outside with the camera to
survey the damage. The lake extends into the carpark and almost all
the way across to our building... The water level comes right up to
the balconies on the villas, but fortunately it stopped about half an
inch below the doors so they shouldn't have flooded.
I've never seen this much water since I got here so I have no idea how
long it'll take to drain away. It's obviously gone down about an inch
since its highest level, but there's still a lot of it there. At the
moment we're stuck in the carpark because the main entrance is a lake,
and while the other entrance road is dry, the street outside is an
ocean! A car got stuck in the intersection during the night - it looks
like they drove straight into the deepest part (at the corner) without
realising until it was too late. That street is flooded all the way
down to the next intersection as far as I can tell. There's a police
car parked down at the other end with its flashers on, and some of the
residents of the houses in between were wading out into the street to
survey the damage.
At least we're in an upstairs apartment so our feet are dry! But it
looks like the whole building was fine, by a small margin.
I don't know if this storm was associated with Hurricane Wilma, but
even Katrina didn't dump that much water on us! I just hope that it
gets to drain away before any more wet stuff comes out of the sky...
otherwise we could have a big problem! In the meantime we're fine, if
stuck because we only have a regular car and not a truck or SUV. I
bought hurricane supplies yesterday, only ironically NOT our regular
groceries, because we were going to get them this morning. I guess
we'll be eating them a bit ahead of schedule...
We were VERY lucky in one way - I'm just watching the news and in a
lot of parts of Fort Lauderdale the people weren't just woken by rain
on their roof, but by water flooding into their bedrooms and living
rooms! This confirms that we were lucky to get an upstairs apartment.
I may hate lugging our laundry and groceries up the stairs, but I'm
not going to have to deal with that... if all I have to complain about
is that we can't leave the building, we're really very lucky.

PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Old October 22nd 05, 03:49 PM
Adrian

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
snip
PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

I shall be sending purrs for you and your car to stay dry.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old October 22nd 05, 05:32 PM
Ann

Purrs on the way for you and your family that you stay dry.
Ann

see pictures of Sam at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos

Old October 22nd 05, 06:38 PM
Victor Martinez

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

But Wilma is still hundreds of miles away!!! Purrs on the way.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 22nd 05, 08:54 PM
Yoj

Purrs on the way.

--
Joy

**Don't believe everything you think**

Old October 22nd 05, 11:10 PM
Pamela Shirk

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message

PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

I'll ask the owners to purr and think dry thoughts for you as well. Here's
hoping that this is the worst Wilma does to you. You four may want to
consider evacuation.

Pam S. who is hoping that Wilma misses us all.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:34 AM
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 12:38:29 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

But Wilma is still hundreds of miles away!!! Purrs on the way.

Yes it is, but have you SEEN the size of that sucker?! According to
the weather channel it was a feeder band. I didn't know that it would
be that bad - Katrina was much smaller and dropped much less rain.
Anyway, we're still here and waiting for the main event!

Old October 23rd 05, 01:36 AM
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:10:06 GMT, "Pamela Shirk"
wrote:

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
.. .

PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

I'll ask the owners to purr and think dry thoughts for you as well. Here's
hoping that this is the worst Wilma does to you. You four may want to
consider evacuation.

Pam S. who is hoping that Wilma misses us all.

John says we don't have to go anywhere... I hope he's right. I'm not
seriously worried - we're upstairs after all and we have a nice new
roof.

Old October 23rd 05, 02:48 AM
Wayne Mitchell

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

PS. the news reporter on the tv says that yes, we can thank Wilma for
our new lakeside view... I'm just hoping that the lake doesn't turn
into an ocean or damage our car!

With the storm still to come, I can imagine your concern. Let's
just hope that by the time Wilma turns toward Florida she speeds
up to where she doesn't have time to drop a lot of water.

--

Wayne M
(indulged by Will and Heidi)
Old October 23rd 05, 03:11 AM
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:50:15 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
wrote:
Watery photos for those interested... and no I didn't go wading
through the streets to take them - the flooding was very localised
(they say that the storm affected a two-mile area), and the path
around the building was just above the water level, as were parts of
the carpark. I think you can see it in one of the photos...
http://community.webshots.com/album/483015092DKzRxV

[REPOST] Defeated Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 September 8th 05 11:27 PM
Smelly cat water! Beverly & Vicki via CatKB.com Cat health & behaviour 8 May 31st 05 03:14 AM
Cats, water, and chloramine Lisa Horton Cat health & behaviour 28 May 21st 04 05:00 PM
Water question TJ and The Dust Cat anecdotes 10 February 18th 04 05:51 AM
Distilled water and cats Riceps Cat health & behaviour 36 October 12th 03 04:56 PM