Sad bitty news

Old July 2nd 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Sad bitty news

On Jul 1, 8:49 pm,
wrote:

When I was in America, I was horrendous. They don't let you hold
your own animals for treatment there and often take them out of the
exam room into the prep area for procedures.

Jo Firey wrote
Our vets do most everything in front of us. Exceptions would be installing
microchips and usually drawing blood. Those I'd guess are to prevent the
owner from passing out on the floor.

As far as holding your animal for treatment, I'd agree the vet should be
allowed to use their own judgment. As to the ability of the owner as well
as the disposition of the patient.

Jo

We are in the USA. Our experience has been more like Jo's. What
leaparduswei (do you have an actual name you'd be kind enough to
share) has described has not be our experience except with one (new)
vet recently. We've never had a vet refuse to have us there for the
few euthanasias we've had to have done. We've never been refused to
take our pets home afterward and were not charged for any kind of a
box. We were there when Rosie and Cinder got microchipped. We've
been there for blood drawing. We've been there for exams and Cinder's
nail trimming, When Moxie (RB) went in for an ultrasound, I held her
while the vet tech shaved her belly and held her on her back on the
table while the vet performed the ultra sound. This includes vets in
several areas of the country. However, the new vet we took them to
since we've been back in Texas is the exception, Although her
location is very convenient, we are seriously considering going back
to the vet we had when we were here before just because we like to be
there (except for surgeries) with our cats. Also, I don't know about
other countries, but here in the U.S. we consider speaking our mind a
cherished right. This includes questioning someone who provides us a
service and going elsewhere if we don't like the treatment.

Leaparduswei, I'm sorry that you had a terrible experience. This is a
huge country. It's difficult to make a blanket statement based on one
vet's policy. I hope you will understand that the treatment you
received is not necessarily the norm here.

Annie

Old July 2nd 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 1, 8:49 pm,
wrote:

When I was in America, I was horrendous. They don't let you hold
your own animals for treatment there and often take them out of the
exam room into the prep area for procedures.

..
[...]

Well said, Annie!

My current vet does take my cats out of the exam room to draw blood, but I
suspect she wouldn't do that if I objected. I am certainly able to hold
them when something frightening is being done, and I have also been able to
hold them during euthanasia. When my mother had to have her little dog
euthanized, the vet came to her house, and did it while my mother held the
dog in her lap. I would say that a vet refusing to let a person hold their
pet is an exception, rather than the rule in the United States.

Joy

Old July 2nd 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On 2 Jul, 03:16, wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:49 pm, wrote:

We are in the USA. Our experience has been more like Jo's. What
leaparduswei (do you have an actual name you'd be kind enough to
share) has described has not be our experience except with one (new)
vet recently.

Yes, it's me, Helen M. (And I signed my post ;o) ). The cat in
question that I flipped about at the US vet was HRFL who was being
difficult because he was protesting at being manhandled.

Leaparduswei, I'm sorry that you had a terrible experience. This is a
huge country. It's difficult to make a blanket statement based on one
vet's policy. I hope you will understand that the treatment you
received is not necessarily the norm here.

Annie

I'd agree with that. It was a particular vet hospital that I
experienced it. It's like over here - some vets are good, some are
great and some are downright a$$holes.The mogs used a very large
wealthy practice in Washington DC, and to be fair most of the vets
there were very nice. However, there was one who was just a bit rough
when Tiger protested and that was when I clamped down because she
wanted to "Take him out back and deal with him"....

Nobody "deals" with my cats except me! Sure, they're allowed to treat
them with respect and administer medical aid, but no-one "deals" with
them! ;o)

Helen M

Old July 2nd 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jofirey wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

When I was in America, I was horrendous. They don't let you hold
your own animals for treatment there and often take them out of the
exam room into the prep area for procedures.

Must depend upon the U.S. vet - unless it involved a complicated
procedure (in which case they usually wanted a stay of a few hours,
if not overnight) those I've used have had no problem with doing it
in my presence. (They also encouraged visits, if the pet had to be
held longer than a day or two.)

Our vets do most everything in front of us. Exceptions would be
installing microchips and usually drawing blood. Those I'd guess are
to prevent the owner from passing out on the floor.

When the vet microchipped Persia he had the tech take her in the back "to
weigh her". But they actually took her back to chip her. When they brought
her back a few minutes later he showed me why. Most people freak out at the
size of the needled required to chip a pet and change their minds about the
procedure. (He said she was an angel, didn't even squeak.)

As far as holding your animal for treatment, I'd agree the vet should
be allowed to use their own judgment. As to the ability of the owner
as well as the disposition of the patient.

I'm always in the room when Persia gets shots and basic stuff done. The
tech holds her but I'm petting her and talking to her all the while.
Obviously I couldn't (and shouldn't) be in the room for surgical procedures
or anything requiring anesthesia.

Jill

Old July 2nd 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-07-02 09:04:14 -0500, said:

On 2 Jul, 03:16, wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:49 pm, wrote:

[...]

From what I can tell, vet care in the D.C. area is expensive and a lot
of it suspect. Vet techs apparenlty do not need to have liscenses and,
well, I've just heard a lot of bad incidents happening in that area.

Old July 2nd 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

The good lady sounds like a saint and someday the bitty will come running on
some good strong legs to thank her benefactress. The vet ought to have a
little organic plant food straight from the litterbox though; I'd throttle my
own vets if they wouldn't allow us to be there for our babies.

Blessed be,
Baha

Karen wrote:

I feel so bad for the lady That vet needs to have a letter written
to the hospital about that treatment!! Like it isn't hard enough?
She certainly sounds like an angel though. Doing her best for the
population.

Old July 2nd 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

Oh that's disgusting that vet... Grrr! I've never heard of such utter
nonsense and what a complete *******! I hope when she's feeling less
emotionally drained that she writes a complaint letter about him and
sends it to the clinic at the very least.

That's really sad about Rosie, but I'm sure she is doing fine now .
That lady sounds lovely and very compassionate. It's not often you
meet people like that.

Dewi

Old July 2nd 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dewi

Well I agree, to get the best for your pets you do need to interrogate
the vets and have a good understanding of what is going on with the
pets health and the types of treatments available and also when to let
the animal be PTS. You really do need to be assertive. I've had so
many bad experiences with vets since moving to Brisbane. I have met
about three I like and who I return to (unfortunately they are an hour
or more away from me), but that's after dealing with 10 other vets who
ranged from mediocre to utter cr**.

Dewi