Vet Tech Journals : The continuing Saga

Old April 14th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Default Vet Tech Journals : The continuing Saga

Stormmee wrote:

Oatmeal is very inexpensive from aldi's and Wal-Mart, get the longest
cooking one in the biggest container you can, also if money is really tight,
you can eat it at dinner time, get those bananas they are selling because
they are getting a bit too ripe so are cheaper and mix them into it,
sweetens the oatmeal, and gives you some good vitamins,... I am the queen of
cheap food.

Don't you just LOVE Aldi's? When they opened their first store here, people
all over the city took two or three buses out and bought so much stuff that
they had to cab home, and STILL saved tons of money. I don't buy that urban
legend about them being owned by this big Ã…mish conglomerate. Would Ã…mish
people really own canneries? Maybe the Beachy communities that allow you a
car in any color you want as long as it's black, but I'm getting digressingly
facetious.

I was practically raised in discount shops and thrift outlets, but Louie grew
up during the transition from the poverty of early infancy to a life of
suburban privilege when his father took a position as chemistry professor at
Buffalo State. Louie was never really aware of places like Aldi's, Family
Dollar, Dollar General, and the late, lamented D&K. When i took him to these
stores he was like a kid let loose in the candy shop. "Holy $#!%!" he kept
saying. "I never knew about this!" Louie, the scrimp-and-saver, never knew.
Now he taste-tests Aldi's stuff versus the name brands or store brands from
the regular chains, just for giggles, and will go on indefinitely about the
differences in biscuits made with the Aldi's baking mix versus Bisquick.
Indefinitely. Oy.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old April 14th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Baha via CatKB.com kirjoitti:

Don't you just LOVE Aldi's? When they opened their first store here, people
all over the city took two or three buses out and bought so much stuff that
they had to cab home, and STILL saved tons of money. I don't buy that urban
legend about them being owned by this big Ã…mish conglomerate. Would Ã…mish
people really own canneries? Maybe the Beachy communities that allow you a
car in any color you want as long as it's black, but I'm getting digressingly
facetious.

Aldi is not Amish, it's German originally. They haven't come to Finland
yet, we have another German store chain - Lidl - which also is
conquering the world by now... About Aldi, see:
http://www.aldi.com/

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 14th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Mischief" wrote in message
Wanted to give you all an update in my vet tech life.......

So I lost my job last friday and spend the next day updating and email
out my resume.

I had a line on a website, Vet Staffing services, which is like a temp
agency for vet techs, and I posted my resume

I got a call literally an HOUR later,

The guy that runs it is a management consultant for veteirnary
clinics, helping clinics reach their fullest potential. And he had
been looking for someone.

There is a clinic out in Westlake Village, (Thousand Oaks, which is
Northwest of LA County). It's very small, only one doctor, and has
been open about 2-3 years.

The doctor has 2 techs that are reasonably proficient, but had a few
entry level techs with no training. And their training protocol was
outdated.

they needed someone skilled to not only help them as a skilled tech
but to help train their entry level techs AND receptionists in basic
skills.

And the management consultant had been looking feverishly for an ideal
candidate.....

and then my resume crossed his desk.......

I went in for an interview with the consuntant on Monday and was sent
out to Westlake the same day.

I'm going to be there 3 days a week, not only being a vet tech, but
training the employees and helping them rewrite their training
protocol.

I jumped right in and so far have impressed the employees and the
doctor with my ability to not only know what I'm doing without
excessive explanatoin, but ALSO have some skills to show them.

They only recently have started using their digital dental x-
ray....Well at the last place not only was I trained, but got to the
point where Dr. S could say, "Okay shoot xrays of those suspcious
teeth and come get me when you're done." It's the same program and
though I'm not an expert, I know more than the average tech and can
get what is needed.

Oh and this doctor also sees exotics, which I have no training in, but
because I'm already trained in general, to doctor had no problem
yesterday teaching me how to tube feed a cockatiel or have me restrain
a Macaw. (BTW, those huge birds can be INTIMIDATING!)

It's only a few days a week, so about half the hours, but pays 1 extra
dollar an hour than the last place (so small pay increase)

And this only so far is for 6 weeks, to help get their entry techs up
to speed while also working as a tech. But if I play my cards right
adn things go well, there is the small possibilty this could turn into
a full time position.

and I found out that one of the proficient techs will be leaving in
August for Vet School.....hmmmmmm

The only drawback to this place is the location. It's a good 25 miles
by freeway on the 101, which isn't a great freeway at times.

But aside from that, the doctor has seemed to have put a lot of trust
in me so it is very promising.......

Thanks for all the purrs and I'll keep you updated.....

Kristi

YAY! Good for you. It may have just been fate playing a hand in getting
you a better job than the one you had. Purrs coming that things work out
well and they'll see the advantage of hiring you full time.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 19th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Mischief wrote:
[...]

snip
Kristi