Copied from the rpch+b group

Old October 25th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Copied from the rpch+b group

My beautiful, vocal, loving and oh so sweet but way too independent
little gray calico Noel, named as she came into my life just before
Christmas of 2006, was brutally murdered by a pack of coyotes on Tuesday
night. She pulled a door open that I had neglected to lock or check to
see if it had latched. I was gone all day and when I came home all three
cats ran up to me and in that instant I forgot to lock the damn door. I
fell asleep in front of the TV and when I awoke she was outside in the
drizzle rain and too excited to come back in. My other two wanted
nothing to do with the water and were safe inside. Hours of coaxing
could not sway her. It was her way or nothing - and her way killed her.
In her joy of all things living she walked right into the coyotes path.
They made swift and silent work of her beautiful little body. Not even a
drop of blood was left behind. And they will soon know her fate and I do
not care what anyone thinks of me. Noel could not imagine danger as her
too short life was one of non-stop play and joy to be alive in a world
that she felt safe and secure in. Thanks to the man who betrayed her and
left his guard down for one god damn instant. She could not even fathom
the danger that was her destruction. She could not understand a locked
door and why it as an obstacle to her playground.
I just write this to say you can never be too careful. If you think you
are too paranoid keeping your babies safe, you are not paranoid enough.
Ramp it up. Kick it up a notch. Double down. If your friends or family
call you nuts, ignore them - enjoy your mental illness. What the hell do
they know? Tune them out, ignore them. Tell them to get the hell out of
your home.
I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat. She is
a beautiful tortie, deep chocolate brown with orange markings, less than
a year old and has a very definite Siamese gene line. She is
"unadoptable" because she is "too old." She cannot even be 10 months
old. Death was a day or so away for her. When she was taken from the
cage she practically cried in my arms and hugged my neck and I am not
making that up. It was something to see, and feel. I've never felt cat
paws wrap around my neck. It almost brought me to tears.
Noel is dead. A life will be saved in her honor. Two lives quite likely.
So I ask all of you not to wait. Go and get another cat now. If you are
grieving at this time, waste no more time. Do it now. Better yet, get 2
or even 3. If you have a cat, get another one. I fully expect to adopt
yet another cat when I pick up Pumpkin (her kennel name) on Monday night
after she has been spaid.
My grief and guilt has crippled me and left me a broken man and I will
be a long time dealing with this. I have lost cats to old age and
illness but this is a first for me. But if I can make something right
fro this terrible wrong, perhaps life can be a little more fair.
Paul

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 25th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Oh Mike, no matter how hard it is, do NOT blame yourself - praise yourself
for having given Noel a good life, loved and cared for. One painful mistake
does not negate all that you did for her, we are all of us only human.
Getting another cat in tribute to Noel's life and death is a good thing and
I hope you'll focus your energies on your cats now without too much
preoccupation on a "mistake". I don't know your beliefs, but I have to
believe that Noel understands and loves you and is waiting at the Bridge for
you to join her.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old October 25th 10, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Sorry for the confusion. It was Paul that posted that- not me. I
thought the subject line would suggest that.

Old October 25th 10, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

No, my fault - I didn't notice his signature at the bottom, or at least it
didn't register - lots of things don't now-a-days.

Old October 26th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^^=[_4_]

"---MIKE---" Sorry for the confusion. It was Paul that posted that- not
me. I
thought the subject line would suggest that.

It was clear in the subject line and a very sad story
Kyla

Old October 26th 10, 05:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:52:38 -0400, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

[...]

What a horrible story, and how sad to read it.

And a calico cat, too

That poor man.

It's obvious how guilty he feels....I'm sure the words 'if only' are
running through his head, endlessly.

I cannot imagine how he is dealing with this.

Well, I applaud his decision to adopt another cat, especially an 'un
adoptable' cat, and save her from euthanasia.

I live in a BIG city (3 million people)....but tonight, in the news,
there was a report of a coyote attacking a small dog, in the suburbs.

The owner was able to get the dog away, and it could be seen with
bandages.

But, I live only 3 city blocks from a big creek (in Europe, it would be
a river) and that creek empties into the Mississippi River, 1/2 mile
(less than a kilometer) away.

There is a VERY large state park along the river, and the entrance is
less than a mile away.

Coyotes have been being reported all summer long, and they could easily
travel along the river bank(s), right into the city, hunting game.

Game could be the 4 cats that live next door, and are frequently left
out all night long, in the rain. Like tonight, for example

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

"Life without cats IS only marginally worth living."
-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein

MERRY XMAS RPCH+B Matthew[_3_] Cat health & behaviour 1 December 25th 08 11:51 PM
To the group Matthew Cat anecdotes 0 November 10th 06 08:08 PM
From rpch+b Karen Cat anecdotes 4 October 21st 05 02:11 PM
This is a CAT group not a CHAT group BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 36 March 12th 05 03:37 AM
Is this an all USA group? Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 5 August 4th 04 11:04 AM