Morning routines

Old August 30th 12, 07:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Morning routines

"Wayne Mitchell" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote:

Some cats can free feed, and some can't.

And that can change. Heidi was the first cat I ever had that I couldn't
free feed. She came to me an emaciated waif, and once she regained her
health (and stopped growing), she ballooned to 14 lbs. So I put the two
of them on four meals a day and got her back down to 11½ lbs -- where
she has a well-defined waistline. Over the years, I've gradually
increased the amount of time that the food is left out, until now I am
free-feeding once again -- and Heidi is not gaining weight.
--

Wayne M.

That's great!

Joy

Old August 31st 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Joy wrote:

My daughter and her husband once had two cats. One was a pig, and the
other
was a nibbler. In order to keep the pig from becoming morbidly obese
and
keep the nibbler from starving, they cut a hole in a box, turned it
upside
down and put the food inside. The nibbler could fit through the hole,
but
the pig couldn't. That worked so well that eventually the pig lost
enough
weight that she could fit through the hole as well. After that, I'm not
sure what they did.

It would work like a thermostat. As she lost weight, she'd be able to get
into the other cat's food. Then if she started to gain again, she wouldn't
be able to fit, and would start losing again. I guess that would be OK if
there wasn't another cat involved (whose weight would also go up and down
in an opposite pattern).

Also, yo-yo'ing weight is very bad for humans, but I don't know about
cats.

I would love to give Boyfie lots of treats but if he got overweight and got
diabetes I wouldn't be able to medicate him. He just wouldn't allow it.
So, although he would like to eat much more and get fluffy and huge, bad
meowmie doesn't allow it.
His vet check says he is a perfect weight for his size.

It's difficult to refuse him when he claims he is dying of hunger. He
isn't. I've spent some money having him checked out at TED, he's had all
tests known to mankind. Their verdict is Greedy Boy. ;-)
He was 7lbs when I got him, now he is 10lbs. That's enough.

Tweed