Shelter Network.

Old February 1st 05, 04:37 PM
Kalyahna

Default Shelter Network.

So, maybe this will interest others on here, or maybe it's something that's
been posted before, but I'm wondering... out of all the people that post
here, who has shelter experience (employee or volunteer) and what kind? It'd
be fun to know who has similar experiences, and likely beneficial to
exchange ideas and advice on how each shelter handles situations (be it
medical w/ animals or behavioral w/ people).

So I'll start.

I was hired October of 2002 at Dane County Humane Society in Madison,
Wisconsin. Originally a part-time animal caretaker (walking dogs, cleaning
cages, feeding), I took a full time position when it opened up. In April of
2003, I was certified in euthanasia. Around October of 2003, I was hired as
a part-time Admitting technician (all incoming animals - vaccines, general
health exams, medicating). Now I'm one of the two full time Admitting techs.

So, that's me. Who's next?

Old February 1st 05, 10:15 PM
KellyH

"Kalyahna" wrote in message
So, maybe this will interest others on here, or maybe it's something
that's
been posted before, but I'm wondering... out of all the people that post
here, who has shelter experience (employee or volunteer) and what kind?
It'd
be fun to know who has similar experiences, and likely beneficial to
exchange ideas and advice on how each shelter handles situations (be it
medical w/ animals or behavioral w/ people).

I'm Kelly. I have been a volunteer at a limited-admission shelter in NH for
about two years. I started off just doing a cat shelter cleaning shift once
a week. I slowly got more and more involved, fostering kittens, semi-feral
cats, doing adoptions. I am also now the Intake Coordinator and help out on
vetting day with paperwork. I'm also on a decision-making team about care
for our cats.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 2nd 05, 01:10 AM
Linda=^..^=

Old February 2nd 05, 05:22 PM
Hemmaholic

More years ago than I care to think about I worked part-time for a city
run "Animal Shelter". Doing the daily routine of cleaning and feeding
and trying to evaluate which animals were adoptable and which were not.
It was not an easy task, nor was it easy to go out on a run to recover
a body after some insane person allowed their dog/cat to roam free.

My experience working in this shelter left me very bitter toward people
who do not spay/neuter their pets. It took me many years to work
through this, and all I have to show for it is a deeper respect for the
animals that no one wants.

I am currently trying to care for a small colony of feral cats that
resides behind the place where I work. I have tried to contact the
area rescue centers about getting help to do TNR, but have not had any
luck, It has all been very frustrating!

February is National Spay and Neuter Month. I hope this will get me
the help these animals need.

Rebecca