Update on feral cat and kitten

Old February 27th 05, 12:51 AM
Ar Fai Ve

Default Update on feral cat and kitten

Here's an update on a feral cat and kitten that I took in
about six months ago:

From: Ar Fai Ve
Subject: Feral cat and kitten
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 04:33:08 GMT

I discovered a feral cat and her kitten living under my
deck last Monday. I fed them dry food outside a few times,

Both mother cat and kitten remain healthy. The mother
cat to this day remains very feral. The kitten is very
friendly and socializes with my other 2 non-feral cats.

Both cats had tapeworms, and the mother cat also has
bartonella. I gave both of them the medicine (single pill)
to kill the tapeworms. Medicating the mother cat was a
royal pain and involved cornering her in the bathroom,
wrapping her in a towel, and administering the pill very
quickly. I've decided to **not** treat the mother cat
for bartonella because it requires 20 consecutive days of
liquid antibiotics. If she becomes more friendly, I'll
start the bartonella treatment. I even called the vet and
asked them to estimate what it would cost to board her and
medicate her, and it would have added up to more than $300.

My oldest orange cat doesn't like the feral mother cat at
all and constantly tries to chase her and beat her up. I
need to keep them separated at all times. I usually let
the feral have the run of the bedroom and then at night, I
shut her up in a large crate that is covered with a sheet
for privacy. That seems to work for the most part, but
usually there is at least one "explosion of hisses" once
a night between the orange cat and feral cat.
Old February 27th 05, 08:21 PM
Ann

Wonderful news.You are doing a great job.You can read about my experience
with feral cats at Sam's blog.
Ann --
see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos

Old March 1st 05, 08:18 PM

I've decided to **not** treat the mother
cat for bartonella because it requires 20
consecutive days of liquid antibiotics.

If you have her confined in your home, simply feed her scheduled meals
of *canned* food only every 12 hours and do not leave food out. You can
mix the medication in with her meal. This will also help her to
associate you with a *good* thing (food) and can help to start
developing a relationship and lessen her fear.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 2nd 05, 10:10 PM
Sharon Talbert

To medicate the momcat, you might try putting the medication in a treat.
If the stuff is too bitter to hide easily in wet cat food or babyfood (or
whatever would do), ask your vet about having it compounded and flavored.
It costs more but is worth it, if it does the trick. If necessary,
confine the momcat in a cage or a room of her own while undergoing
treatment.

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats

Old March 3rd 05, 06:24 AM
Chris

There is something called 'pill pockets'--its a mushy, gummy sort of treat
with a little 'pocket' in it. You can put a pill in it& make it a little
round treat--my cats have never spit out a pill when I use these. Just
search on 'pill pockets' to get best price....

Old March 3rd 05, 09:59 AM
Ar Fai Ve

Sorry, but the medication for bartonella is a zithromax
liquid suspension. The only way to medicate the cat is
to squirt it in her mouth.
Old March 4th 05, 03:28 AM

Sorry, but the medication for bartonella
is a zithromax liquid suspension. The only
way to medicate the cat is to squirt it in
her mouth.

Again, find a canned food she really likes and you can mix the
medication into it.