Some kind of attack

Old February 18th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Some kind of attack

wrote:
altheim wrote:
"-L." wrote:
wrote:

Nope, but as others have said, it's definitely vet time.

One of my cats had seizures, which I did not recognize as such. But
when I described the symptoms to my vet, she said, "I'm quite sure she
was having a seizure." And, one of the times I had that particular
cat
at the vet, she exhibited the symptoms in the examining room. Vet
therefore witnessed it & confirmed "Seizure."

Just out of curiousity, what were her symptoms? I have seen some weird
seizure symptoms...

I'm not quite sure what is meant by 'seizure'. It could mean
anything, yet the Op above, writes it 'Seizure' - in uppercase -
like it means something specific. I'd be sceptical of any vet
who said that. I'd want an explanation.

Anyway, the symptom that stands out in my mind is that
her legs seem to give way - she falls over - and that is
when she begins howling. I wonder if it could be fear
rather than pain? There's no frothing at the mouth, no sign
of breathlessness or anything like that, and it only lasts a
few seconds.

--
altheim

You need to read up on seizures. They come in all sizes and styles. You
are confusing grand mal with petit mal seizures or what you see on the
idiot tube as seizures. Many seizures do not have frothing at the
mouth. And there is not breathlessness either. Where do you get these
ideas? From TV? Please take the time to read up any basic level text on
seizures. I had a cat with seizures and there was never ever any
frothing or breathlessness --- and the treatment is dirt cheap, usually
phenobarbital for cats, not Dilantin which is for dogs, but
phenobarbital. There are more modern medicines but these will do. You
need to remind the vets of this - most vets in my experience do not
know much at all about cats and brains. But it helps to uncover the
cause of seizures, or spells or whatever your cat is undergoing. And
this will take work on your part. Asking in a newsgroup at this point
is sad. But most vets won't have a clue either. So I feel badly for all
concerned. If you can afford it, an x-ray of the skull is usually the
place to start. An MRI is better but? You are looking for an injury as
a start. If not injury, then I don't know what would be the cause,
maybe a tumor? You will need an extremely intelligent vet. There are
vets who specialize in neurology, usually in vet schools. But even the
best vet schools may not have a neurology professor vet. So ask. Do you
have the interest and money to check this out? Sometimes they will take
in the feline and treat for a reduced cost to show the young and quite
inexperienced and clueless student vets. This is painful to watch but
part of the process.

This was a helpful reply. Thanks.

--
altheim

Old February 18th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
altheim wrote:
I think I was deeply mistaken about the 'expertise' here.

Read my above post. The treatment is 1/8th grain phenobarbitol twice a
day for idiopathic seizures for cats. Make sure you are trained how to
give a tiny pill to a cat. I found it not difficult but not that simple
either. I just place the pill on the back of her tongue. The cat did
not ever bite or scratch me either which I found surprising. But maybe
she knew I was helping her. Maybe you can put it in food. The pill is
extremely small so easy to deal with.

Before you cast aspersions, you should do some basic reading. From your
comments, you do not know anything about seizures and appear to be
going by what you see in the movies or television. There is expertise
in this newsgroup but you have to bring something to the plate or
table. Just to bring vague and very wrong suppositions will not be good
for your cat or your responses from the newsgroup. If you can up your
knowledge, the responses will increase too.

ahem That is precisely why I joined this group, but if you read
back through the first half dozen replies you won't see much
willingness to edify me, beyond instructing me to go to the vet
(which I already knew, dammit). Forgive me if I interpreted that
as an *inability* to edify me.

Most vets won't have the expertise to solve this problem. So fine. I
have given you the cure which is extraordinarily cheap. It won't cure
cure, but if it's a seizure it will stop the cat from having these
terrifying spells, as they used to be called in a different time and
place.

Again, 1/8th grain phenobarbitol, B.I.D., got it? That's the
prescription.

An old drug that you can buy a year's supply for a few dollars.

But you will need to tell the vet's that. If they look it up in their
textbooks, then can verify what I have posted here.

Thanks again.

--
altheim

Old February 18th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

altheim wrote:
wrote:
Most vets won't have the expertise to solve this problem. So fine. I
have given you the cure which is extraordinarily cheap. It won't cure
cure, but if it's a seizure it will stop the cat from having these
terrifying spells, as they used to be called in a different time and
place.

Again, 1/8th grain phenobarbitol, B.I.D., got it? That's the
prescription.

An old drug that you can buy a year's supply for a few dollars.

But you will need to tell the vet's that. If they look it up in their
textbooks, then can verify what I have posted here.

Thanks again.

--
altheim

Okay but, ahem, you need to post particulars, basics, like what is the
gender and weight of the cat? Is the cat fat? If so, then one has to
think of diabetes and what you are seeing is an attack from spikes or
dips in the blood sugar. If blood sugar, then post the lab results, so
can tell from the glucose levels.

IOW, post whatever info you have. From the info or lack of it, one can
guess if the vets are careful or just winging it.

But weight, gender, and previous history, blood tests, are a start. If
it's a seizure, then phenobarbitol for cats. If not a seizure, then
diabetes, as someone suggested. Dips in blood sugar caused
disorientation and are scary, very scary. And first come the dips, then
later the full spikes, so hypoglycemia then hyperglycemia.

Think of it this way, your cat is fainting. That's a big sign something
is wrong. Heart problems can start with fainting since the heart
controls the oxygenated flow of blood to the brain.

If a human had this problem, all sorts of questions would be asked. But
your cat can't answer. So it's up to you to speak for your cat, which
means, all the details you can muster at your disposal, starting with
gender, weight, and previous tests.

1. Seizures.
2. Blood sugar drops.
3. Heart irregularities.

Just for a start. All the above will cause swoons in mammals.

Old February 19th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"altheim" wrote in message

altheim wrote:

I should take her to the vet but there is nothing visible to show
him. She is otherwise quite healthy. She eats, drinks and 'goes'
normally, as far as I can tell. We buy her ordinary supermarket
cat food. She sleeps indoors.

Not only can the vet see stuff we don't, they know the right questions
to ask to find out the stuff you saw but didn't realize it.

[snip for brevity]
I went to the vet that day, thinking it was an old injury with no
treatment. I just wanted to know what it was. I came away knowing my
dog had a serious condition that could be controlled easily, but
*needed* to be controlled, or it could kill her.

Your vet knows a ton more than you do, that's why they studied all this
stuff. They will know what to look for, what to check, and what to ask.

This isn't in dispute. I coulda just taken the cat to the vet and
not bothered with you guys. What is this group for if not to
talk about cats health and behaviour?

Oh, will you please just **** off and take your cat to the vet?
Jesus.

Old February 19th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

altheim wrote:

This isn't in dispute. I coulda just taken the cat to the vet and
not bothered with you guys.

In a case as severe as what you have described, the cat should have
been taken in to a vet asap.

Your cat is having seizures or possibly has a bloot clot or other
serious problem.

What is this group for if not to
talk about cats health and behaviour?

This group should never be considered a substitute for a vet visit!
Yes, you can gain knowledge here, but it is not wise to post here
*instead* of seeking medical advice from your vet when your cat is
having such problems!

I think I was deeply mistaken about the 'expertise' here.

I think you need to learn what constitutes a serious medical problem
for your cat!

-L.
(either that or we have just been trolled...)

Old February 19th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

I think you need to learn what constitutes a serious medical problem
for your cat!

I am trying to get my mind around *anyone* who would watch their cat
"writhing in agony" and not drop everything and get it to the vet.

Old February 19th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Hi,
For some reason there are some very vicious heartless lame creeps in
this group. But the ones that care TRULY out number the few asses that
post repeatedly.
I just delete them. It is sad so many have nothing else to do in their
lives than to try and hurt others.
I dont understand why the moderator puts up with it. If this was my
group they would be LONG gone!
I hope the vet finds out what is going on with kitty.
Prayers to you and yours-
Sarah

Old February 19th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the info--makes sense now!
Sarah