Vaccinosis? Sore in kitty's neck.

Old August 25th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
johnnaoleary via CatKB.com

Default Vaccinosis? Sore in kitty's neck.

Hi All, I'm not a newbie but I haven't posted in a long time. I recently
adopted a feral, a beautiful little girl named Paris. While I was looking for
the right home for her I had her vaccinated, spayed and boostered. A week
after her booster she developed a sore on the back of her neck. At first (
three days ago) it was a bald patch that didn't really look irriated at all.
I contacted the vet and he told me that this was not an entirely uncommon
reaction to the vaccination and to keep an eye on it for a couple of days.
Now it is red, weepy and about the size of a quarter. I am concerned and I'm
taking her to the vet in the morning. She seems a little lethargic and is not
eating as much as usual. Has anyone had any experience with something like
this? I have been reading a little about vaccinosis and I'm really afraid.

Old August 25th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 05:55:38 +0000, johnnaoleary via CatKB.com wrote:

Hi All, I'm not a newbie but I haven't posted in a long time. I recently
adopted a feral, a beautiful little girl named Paris. While I was
looking for the right home for her I had her vaccinated, spayed and
boostered. A week after her booster she developed a sore on the back of
her neck. At first ( three days ago) it was a bald patch that didn't
really look irriated at all. I contacted the vet and he told me that
this was not an entirely uncommon reaction to the vaccination and to
keep an eye on it for a couple of days. Now it is red, weepy and about
the size of a quarter. I am concerned and I'm taking her to the vet in
the morning. She seems a little lethargic and is not eating as much as
usual. Has anyone had any experience with something like this? I have
been reading a little about vaccinosis and I'm really afraid.

When I first got my cat, I had him vaccinated and a big, ugly lesion
opened up between his shoulder blades. It looked horrible. But, it
didn't seem to affect his general health, and after awhile it healed up.

I studied up on the regulations for animal vaccines and discovered it is
a largely unregulated business, which relies on after-the-fact reports of
side effects/problems rather than systematic testing before a particular
vaccine is marketed. I also discovered that manufacturers of animal
vaccines make extensive use of "adjutivants," which are chemical
irritants added to the vaccine to heighten the immune system reaction and
thereby reduce the required dosage of the more expensive biological
cultures that are the basis of the vaccine.

I keep my cat indoors, and after what I read, I decided I will only get
him vaccinated in the future if it is necessary for travel.

Charlie
Old August 25th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
johnnaoleary via CatKB.com

Hi Charlie, thanks for your reply.

Johnna