Pet food recommendation

Old September 4th 13, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Doctor

Default Pet food recommendation

I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

--
Member - Liberal International This is Ici
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Old September 4th 13, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 9/4/2013 9:02 AM, The Doctor wrote:
I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

Raw food. Then you at least know what's IN it.
Second choice - canned food. Rotate between brands.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 4th 13, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

The Doctor wrote:
I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

I will give you my recommendation. (for what it is worth) I do not put all
my eggs into one basket. This applies to the stock market, or to anything
else where some disaster may occur. Feed your cat a gret variety of foods.
Table scraps, different cat foods purchased from different suppliers, and
made in different countries by different entrepeneurs. You wouldn't eat just
one food to the exclusion of everything else, so why would you want or
expect your cat to do this?
I am reminded of the Gary Larson cartoon of the two dogs, wagging their
tails and waiting expectantly at the housewife's feet for her to finish
opening the can of food. One dog says to the other, "Oh boy! - Its dog food
again!"

You can toss as piece of meat in the air, and the first time it touches the
dog is when it hits the bottom of his stomache. Ever try that with your cat?

Old September 15th 13, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Leifker

On 2013-09-04 13:02:44 +0000, The Doctor said:

I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

Agree completely about rotating the food. I got the Oral Health cat
food, but my vet yelled at me for serving dry food all the time. So I
added water to the dry food for years. When the vet found out, he
yelled at me again. Turns out the Oral Health cat food has these long
fiber things that scrape across your cat's teeth (sort of like using
dental floss on humans by scraping it over the teeth instead of between
them), and adding water completely ruined the ability of the fibers to
scrape. I give my cat a huge variety. He probably gets more variety
in his diet than I do.

Dan Leifker

Old September 15th 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Dan Leifker daniel dleifker.com wrote:

The Doctor said:

I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

Yeah, that's kind of weird. Difficult to know. I like to stick with
popular brands to help ensure quality, or to at least avoid major
problems. But you never know.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

Agree completely about rotating the food. I got the Oral Health
cat food, but my vet yelled at me for serving dry food all the
time. So I added water to the dry food for years. When the vet
found out, he yelled at me again. Turns out the Oral Health cat
food has these long fiber things that scrape across your cat's
teeth (sort of like using dental floss on humans by scraping it
over the teeth instead of between them), and adding water
completely ruined the ability of the fibers to scrape.

Right... Being dry allows it to work. I also use Oral Care,
sometimes a small amount as an after-meal treat.

But you can add water to other dry cat foods. Currently, my feral
gets moistened Purina Pro Plan. First, it is put into zipper style
sandwich bags. Then when the time comes, one half bag is poured
into a new bag and water is added. It has to soak for at least an
hour. And it is spooned from the new bag.

I started free feeding dry food to my male. He has almost doubled
in size. He doesn't seem really fat, but he's big. He's come a long
way from trying to live on bugs in the not-so-great outdoors.

Just make sure there is plenty of fresh water around.

I like the option of feeding either dry or wet. Almost any (high-
quality) dry food should allow that.
Old September 16th 13, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

On 2013-09-04 13:02:44 +0000, The Doctor said:

I see Innova pet food has been recalled.

What do you recommended to feed you cat?

Agree completely about rotating the food. I got the Oral Health cat
food, but my vet yelled at me for serving dry food all the time. So I
added water to the dry food for years. When the vet found out, he
yelled at me again. Turns out the Oral Health cat food has these long
fiber things that scrape across your cat's teeth (sort of like using
dental floss on humans by scraping it over the teeth instead of
between them), and adding water completely ruined the ability of the
fibers to scrape. I give my cat a huge variety. He probably gets
more variety in his diet than I do.

Dan Leifker

Yes. Our cats get roasted chicken, as well as other people food, and a
variety of canned cat foods and dry foods. The dry food is available to them
all the time, because it keeps, and doesn't go bsad unless it gets wet. They
also eat out of each others bowls, so they get to eat what the other catd
eat even if they donlt particularly like it themselves. We entertain a stray
who lives down the street somewhere, and he likes milk. so he gets a bowl of
it every day or so. Apparently his folks have a dog who eats his food as
well as his own. One of our cats likes melon, so he gets cantalope and
honeydew melons frequently. I'm not saying that they couldn't be poisoned
by bad food. It's just highly unlikely unless it was done on purpose by a
diabolical mind. My cats love the variety, and I feel sorry for cats that
are forced to eat the same diet every day by well meaning owners who are
careful to feed them special, "bonded" diets......