Raspy cough, tests ongoing...

Old May 3rd 05, 12:25 AM

Default Raspy cough, tests ongoing...

Hi Group,

I'm a new poster to this group although I have been lurking for some
time now. I usualy hang out in rec.games.pinball. I/we have five cats
that were all homeless/rescued, they found us.

My favorite kitty, a Black one year old male named "Little darkie" has
had a deep raspy wheezy cough as if hacking up a hair ball for the past
few months. He has developed quite a taste for laxatone (and nutrical)
but no hair ball seems to ever come up. All shots up to date and
fixed/neutered.

I can not notice any "pattern" or trigger to these coughing episodes,
they are daily now and three times last night, twice today so far.

Today he got a bunch of X-rays, exam., and (healthcheck plus) blood
test. The blood test results will be in tomorrow. So far no smoking
gun...No enlarged heart... Next test is endoscopy/probably biopsy
(almost $1K high end estimate and I can't afford) becasue the breathing
throat is slightly restricted which (as I understand) could be a cause
or result of the coughing...

Q: Could I be over looking some thing? Any "home" remedies or things to
look out for?

Maybe the litter dust? I use "Scoop Away", fresh scent clumping type. I
can say I really hate the dust from this stuff, it is very perfumey and
strong when I scoop. I think I'll try another brand, yes?

Maybe food change? I use costco brand Kirkland dry, friskies can food,
and only purified drinking water. The water in Phoenix AZ tastes like
cement to me so the cats don't get it either.

Did I over look something?

OK, thanks for reading best wishes to all the kitties in the group,
please be good to them. GodSpeed.

Have fun, Karl.
honda ruehs at cox dot net
(aol email is shut off)

Old May 3rd 05, 01:15 AM

Did I over look something?

OK, thanks for reading best wishes to all the kitties in the group,
please be good to them. GodSpeed.

Have fun, Karl.

Hi Karl--Your vet did rule out FIP, or any kind of fluid around his
lungs, probably, right?
I think you're wise to consider a less dusty litter. Hope you're able
to resolve the situation. Please keep us posted.

Sherry

Old May 3rd 05, 01:31 AM

Hi Sherry,

I have been down the FIP road before with another cat and I don't even
want to think about that...ever.

I'm sure the blood test results tomorrow will show it (FIP) or not but
it was not mentioned, nor was fluid in lings mentioned when veiwing the
X-rays.. He is eating normal and is not thin nor fat.

Thanks for the ideas, yes, I'll change litter today.

Be well, Karl.

Old May 3rd 05, 01:42 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...

My favorite kitty, a Black one year old male named "Little darkie" has
had a deep raspy wheezy cough as if hacking up a hair ball for the past
few months. He has developed quite a taste for laxatone (and nutrical)
but no hair ball seems to ever come up. All shots up to date and
fixed/neutered.

I can not notice any "pattern" or trigger to these coughing episodes,
they are daily now and three times last night, twice today so far.

Today he got a bunch of X-rays

So the vet saw the Xray and said no asthma?

Maybe the litter dust? I use "Scoop Away", fresh scent clumping type. I
can say I really hate the dust from this stuff, it is very perfumey and
strong when I scoop. I think I'll try another brand, yes?

Yes, in case it is allergies or the beginning of asthma, which may not
show on an Xray? I use the unscented version of Scoop Away, but there
are many kinds that are not highly scented. Even regular Tidy Cat is not
as strongly scented as Scoop Away.

Maybe food change? I use costco brand Kirkland dry, friskies can food,
and only purified drinking water. The water in Phoenix AZ tastes like
cement to me so the cats don't get it either.

You're looking in the right directions since many cats do develop
food allergies.

Old May 3rd 05, 01:43 AM

Hi Sherry,

I have been down the FIP road before with another cat and I don't

even
want to think about that...ever.

I have, too. That's why I hate to even mention it. But sometimes with
rescues, like mine and your Blackie too, you just don't know their
history and you have to consider that. I sure hope it's not.

I'm sure the blood test results tomorrow will show it (FIP) or not

but
it was not mentioned, nor was fluid in lings mentioned when veiwing

the
X-rays.. He is eating normal and is not thin nor fat.

Thanks for the ideas, yes, I'll change litter today.

Wish I knew more about allergies, maybe someone else here with more
knowledge about it can help you.

Be well, Karl.

Old May 3rd 05, 04:24 AM

Did they xray your cat's lungs? This sure sounds like asthma.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 3rd 05, 05:44 AM

The Dr. said no visible signs of asthma but she would not rule it out
at this point either...Mainly waiting for the blood work to come back
tomorrow before drawing any conclusions.

Yes, lots of lung X-rays because Little Darkie kept moving so they had
to do the x-rays over and over to see what they were looking for which
was that slight restriction in the throat (trachia?).

Thanks for everyone sharing ideas and being so nice, this is a great
group.

They all like him at the office and said he was very friendly. He was
even calm in the car with a couple meows.

Thanks as always, Karl.

Just for backround, I found him while I was installing cable on the
job. We were at a house with two older Chinese (not known for their
kindness to the feline family) ladies living there. The back yard, not
having been watered, was very very dry, the trees and grass were all
dead for a long time under the not desert sun. I almost missed him
trying to find shade along the fence gate so I grabbed him (jently),
went to the truck, dumped my tools on the floor, put the kitten in the
small tool bag and left the top open. It was so funny and cute because
he could actualy walk around on the floor of the bag. The job only took
a few minutes so after that we went to a pet store to get some formula
and bottle fed him right there in the parking lot. He was so youg his
eyes were still blue (now yellow) and he was actualy smaller than a
dollar bill. Since the kitten had such a nasty cut all around his neck
I suspected the Chinese ladies were mean to him so I thought it best to
rescue him from whatever the evil human hand had done to him. Now he is
very happy, healthy (I hope and pray) and one of the most loving cats
I've ever had. He has a girl friend kitty (Tora, brown tabby with great
colors, also fixed, I found her on the roof of the Kirby shop strip
mall) who he chases runs jumps and plays with all the time, right now
included!. It's good to be a cat, if you are the right cat that
is.............Thanks again all.

Old May 3rd 05, 06:10 AM
Mary

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Dr. said no visible signs of asthma but she would not rule it out
at this point either...Mainly waiting for the blood work to come back
tomorrow before drawing any conclusions.

It really does sound like asthma. If it is, it is easily treated--but can be
deadly
if you do not treat it.

[...]

You are a good soul.

Old May 3rd 05, 01:32 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Dr. said no visible signs of asthma but she would not rule it out
at this point either...

Many asthmatic cats appear normal at rest-- unless the cat becomes severely
stressed by the trip to the vet.

Mainly waiting for the blood work to come back
tomorrow before drawing any conclusions.

If the bloodwork comes back with elevated eosinophils, asthma is definitely
a possibility. However, eosinophilia isn't specific for asthma- parasites
can cause eosinophilia, too. Some parasites can cause the same symptoms as
asthma- so, either way, a fecal exam is absolutely necessary.

Yes, lots of lung X-rays because Little Darkie kept moving so they had
to do the x-rays over and over to see what they were looking for which
was that slight restriction in the throat (trachia?).

Since there are relatively few causes of coughing in the cat, I'd go down
the (short) list of differentials and rule out each one. Rule outs are just
as important as rule ins-- although his symptoms sure sound like asthma to
me.

Based on his history and symptoms, I'd have him checked for worms--
especially lung worms- even though they're not that common-- and definitely
roundworms. After roundworm eggs hatch into larvae, they migrate through
the liver and then enter the lungs where they're coughed up and swallowed
back down and develop into adults. The cycle keeps repeating itself. If
might take a few fecal exams to definitively rule out worms since they're
not present in every bowel movement. Fecal exams aren't expensive- about
$10-$15-- although a floatation w/centrifugation is probably necessary to
find Capillaria eggs- about another $20.

I know AZ is virtually completely void of heartworm disease- but HD is one
of the few causes of coughing in the cat. If I were you, I'd ask your vet
to vet to run 2 simple heartworm tests. The heartworm antigen test is more
specific, but the heartworm antibody test is more sensitive. Since the
tests are so cheap, I'd run both. Negative results don't necessarily rule
out heartworm because low worm burdens and single-sex infections can result
in false negatives. In fact about half of the cats with adult infections
are antigen negative. Ultrasounds are the best diagnostic for heatworms--
but they're expensive.

Do you have carpeting? Some carpets and backings/adhesives contain toxic
chemicals that leech out (outgassing) which can cause respiratory problems--
especially in cats since they lie and sleep on the carpet.

Another rule out is cat litter. You might want to switch to a dustless
litter such as "The World's Best Cat Litter". I think its made from corn.

If your vet can't come up with a diagnosis soon, you might want to speak to
her about putting your cat on a trial inhaled Flovent (corticosteroid)
therapy to see if he responds. Inhaled corticosteroids are extremely
effective without the harmful side effects of systemic corticosteroids.
Visit my site for more information:
http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_asth...bronchitis.htm

On the bottom righthand side of the page you'll see an aerosolization
chamber for cats called an AeroKat for use with a metered dose inhaler
(MDI). Below the AeroKat, are pictures of a human AeroChamber that I
adapted for cats by using a Pari pediatric mask-- which actually works
better than the AeroKat. The mask is smaller and fits over a cat's nose and
mouth perfectly-- even better than the AeroKat-- and doesn't stress the cat
out as much.

If you have a family doctor, ask him for a "Physcian Demonstrator"
AeroChamber. Forest Pharmaceuticals gives them away free to doctors, so
you'll save $50. Also ask him for one or two trial size Flovent 220 mcg
inhalers. Glaxo-Smith-Kline gives trial-size, 60-metered dose inhalers to
doctors for free. The trial size should last about 2 weeks (2 puffs
b.i.d.)- its long enough to see if your cat responds to therapy. All you
have to buy is the Pari baby mask (Size 0 [Part # 41F0710]) for $5.00 from
www.pari.com.

The regular prescription Flovent 220 mcg. inhaler has 120 metered doses and
costs about $165 and the AreoChamber or the AeroKat costs about $50.00. So,
if you go my way, you'll save $200.

[...]

Great story! I love reading successful rescues with happy endings!

Best of luck,

Phil

Old May 3rd 05, 06:21 PM
PawsForThought

My favorite kitty, a Black one year old male named "Little darkie"

has
had a deep raspy wheezy cough as if hacking up a hair ball for the

past
few months.

Hi Karl,
I'm sorry to hear about Little Darkie's coughing. When he coughs, does
he stretch out his neck a lot? My cat Meesha has asthma and when she
coughs, that's what she does. Has your vet done a tracheal wash? That
can give a good indication on whether or not it's asthma, along with
other tests your vet has performed. My cat is being treated by a
holistic vet and she's been doing very well. She hasn't coughed in
nearly a year. One thing I would definitely do is change your
catlitter to one that does not contain any chemicals. A couple of good
ones are Swheat Scoop and World's Best Cat Litter. Please let us know
what the tests show.

Lauren