The Gods Must Hate Me

Old June 30th 05, 10:11 PM

Default The Gods Must Hate Me

At least this was a minor thing. At least.

Storms. I usually love storms. Except for when they knock out the
power.

Last night, they decided to.

I had been running errands for four hours in the 90-degree heat,
having trouble breathing, exhausted and overheated. I just wanted to
sit in The Cool Room (the only air-conditioned room), eat some
cookies, drink some cold pop and watch "Ellen".

KABOOM!

Dark. Quiet. No "Ellen", no air conditioning no lights.

Now, usually when this happens (every freakin' year), it will come
back on within a few minutes.

Not this time.

Well, crap, what are ya gonna do? Get out the flashlights, light up
the charcoal, and throw some burgers on the grill. And get a bag of
ice or two to put the pop in, just in case.

Our next-door-neighbor, Banjo, was also wondering what to do about the
dinner of stir-fry chicken and veggies he'd been dreaming of coming
home to. Hey! There's a grill with hot coals handy next door! So he
brings his little metal thingy over that fits over the grill, and
stir-frys his dinner, sharing some with us -- quite tasty. Then we
all roasted marshmallows, of course.

Well, that was kind of fun, but it was getting annoying. Several
hours, and the power still was not on. And I had cats to feed.

Ever try feeding cats in the dark? Seven of them? DH and I had two
flashlights, and somehow managed to get them fed without stepping on
anyone, which was a miracle.

It got later and later, and we were getting hotter and more frustrated
each hour.

My friend KK in Indiana was going to call me, and sure enough, she
did. So I sat and talked with her in the heat and the dark, and
somewhere around 11:00 pm, everything jumped back on. I'm sure she
could hear me whoop and holler not just over the phone, but over in
Indiana without one.

And the cats got to eat their second meal in the light.

Ginger-lyn
when it rains, it pours, floods, devours and destroys . . . .

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old June 30th 05, 11:05 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

[...]

Heck - *I* heard it too

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old July 1st 05, 12:38 AM
jmcquown

KABOOM!

Dark. Quiet. No "Ellen", no air conditioning no lights.

Now, usually when this happens (every freakin' year), it will come
back on within a few minutes.

Not this time.

Well, crap, what are ya gonna do? Get out the flashlights, light up
the charcoal, and throw some burgers on the grill. And get a bag of
ice or two to put the pop in, just in case.

Yup.

Our next-door-neighbor, Banjo, was also wondering what to do about the
dinner of stir-fry chicken and veggies he'd been dreaming of coming
home to. Hey! There's a grill with hot coals handy next door! So he
brings his little metal thingy over that fits over the grill, and
stir-frys his dinner, sharing some with us -- quite tasty. Then we
all roasted marshmallows, of course.

Of course! When it gets dark you can all start telling ghost stories

Well, that was kind of fun, but it was getting annoying. Several
hours, and the power still was not on.

Try it for 5 days running. Work was knocked out too. So I grilled bacon,
poured off the bacon grease to use in cornbread (had to use the eggs);
scrambled eggs in a little drippings. I cooked a pot of rice and made
jambalaya and also prepared steak and potatoes. Using up what was thawing
out, don'tcha know

And I had cats to feed.

Granted, I don't have 7 cats to feed but using up what is in your freezer
and fridge on a Weber Kettle can amount to sending you back to the Frontier.
I was lucky to have a source of ice.

Ever try feeding cats in the dark? Seven of them? DH and I had two
flashlights, and somehow managed to get them fed without stepping on
anyone, which was a miracle.

I have oil lamps as well as flashlights. They light up rooms surprisingly
well! I have a large table lamp and two smaller oil lamps with the
finger-hook things so you can carry them around. The problem is when I'm
carrying them around I always feel as if I should be wearing a long white
gauzy fluffy gown with a mirror at the end of the hallway and some dark
figure lurking behind me! Hmmm

It got later and later, and we were getting hotter and more frustrated
each hour.

My friend KK in Indiana was going to call me, and sure enough, she
did. So I sat and talked with her in the heat and the dark, and
somewhere around 11:00 pm, everything jumped back on. I'm sure she
could hear me whoop and holler not just over the phone, but over in
Indiana without one.

LOL! Yes, I felt that way when my power came back on after a week, too!

And the cats got to eat their second meal in the light.

Ginger-lyn
when it rains, it pours, floods, devours and destroys . . . .

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....mmer/index.htm
(genealogy) http://www.movieanimals.bravehost.com/ (The Violence
Against Animals in Movies Website)

Old July 1st 05, 12:51 AM
Shiral

Last night, they decided to.

I had been running errands for four hours in the 90-degree heat,
having trouble breathing, exhausted and overheated. I just wanted to
sit in The Cool Room (the only air-conditioned room), eat some
cookies, drink some cold pop and watch "Ellen".

KABOOM!

Dark. Quiet. No "Ellen", no air conditioning no lights.

Oh, I know those feelings of total frustration, Ginger-lyn. "But all I
wanted was to just sit and watch/listen to my favorite program! A
simple ordinary thing, and it gets loused up!!"

I realized during the last power failure that almost everything I love
to do involves electricity, if only for purposes of illumination. I
would NOT do well in countries that only get electricity for four or
five hours a day. =o)

Melissa

Old July 1st 05, 12:59 AM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:11:38 GMT, yodeled:

[...]

(((((Oh Ginger))))) "They come not single spies, but in battalions."

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old July 1st 05, 07:02 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:38:31 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Try it for 5 days running. Work was knocked out too. So I grilled bacon,
poured off the bacon grease to use in cornbread (had to use the eggs);
scrambled eggs in a little drippings. I cooked a pot of rice and made
jambalaya and also prepared steak and potatoes. Using up what was thawing
out, don'tcha know

And I had cats to feed.

Granted, I don't have 7 cats to feed but using up what is in your freezer
and fridge on a Weber Kettle can amount to sending you back to the Frontier.
I was lucky to have a source of ice.

Oh, man, I can't even imagine 5 days. I went one time without water
for three days (water pipes froze during a bad winter, and bad
landlord preferred getting drunk to fixing it), and I boiled snow to
get water. It really *did* feel like Frontier days.

Ever try feeding cats in the dark? Seven of them? DH and I had two
flashlights, and somehow managed to get them fed without stepping on
anyone, which was a miracle.

I have oil lamps as well as flashlights. They light up rooms surprisingly
well! I have a large table lamp and two smaller oil lamps with the
finger-hook things so you can carry them around. The problem is when I'm
carrying them around I always feel as if I should be wearing a long white
gauzy fluffy gown with a mirror at the end of the hallway and some dark
figure lurking behind me! Hmmm

Lol! Oil lamps -- gotta look into that.

It got later and later, and we were getting hotter and more frustrated
each hour.

My friend KK in Indiana was going to call me, and sure enough, she
did. So I sat and talked with her in the heat and the dark, and
somewhere around 11:00 pm, everything jumped back on. I'm sure she
could hear me whoop and holler not just over the phone, but over in
Indiana without one.

LOL! Yes, I felt that way when my power came back on after a week, too!

I bet!

Old July 1st 05, 07:03 PM

On 30 Jun 2005 16:51:34 -0700, "Shiral" wrote:

Oh, I know those feelings of total frustration, Ginger-lyn. "But all I
wanted was to just sit and watch/listen to my favorite program! A
simple ordinary thing, and it gets loused up!!"

I realized during the last power failure that almost everything I love
to do involves electricity, if only for purposes of illumination. I
would NOT do well in countries that only get electricity for four or
five hours a day. =o)

Melissa

I'm the same way. Isn't that terrible? We are such slaves to
electricity in the US, I swear.

Old July 1st 05, 07:44 PM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
On 30 Jun 2005 16:51:34 -0700, "Shiral" wrote:

Oh, I know those feelings of total frustration, Ginger-lyn. "But all I
wanted was to just sit and watch/listen to my favorite program! A
simple ordinary thing, and it gets loused up!!"

I realized during the last power failure that almost everything I love
to do involves electricity, if only for purposes of illumination. I
would NOT do well in countries that only get electricity for four or
five hours a day. =o)

Melissa

I'm the same way. Isn't that terrible? We are such slaves to
electricity in the US, I swear.

A long time ago, when we had strikes here in the UK by electricity workers I
realised how dependent on electricity I was. I now have a gas "top of the
stove" for saucepans, an electric oven and a woodburner.
If the electricity went off, I could cook something on the gas top.. Okay,
mainly boiling things and heating tinned food. I would lose everything I
had in the freezer and fridge, though :-( so I have a store cupboard of
tinned food.
If the gas went off, I would have no heat in my kitchen as there is a gas
fire in there. Neither could I cook anything in a saucepan, I would have to
use my electric oven to bake things to eat, or the microwave. That would be
no problem.
In my main living room I have a woodburning stove. That heats my living
room (but not the kitchen) and the upstairs and if the worst came to the
worst and both gas and electric went AWOL I think myself and the cats are
covered for an emergency ;-)
Oh, btw, we also have a calor gas heater.
Belt and braces girl here g

Tweed

Old July 2nd 05, 02:53 AM
John

Down in in North Carolina with the possibility of hurricanes oil lamps are a
common feature in the house.