[OT] Iron Chef

Old December 21st 03, 12:13 AM
Yowie

Default [OT] Iron Chef

Joel thinks its slightly bizarre that I *insist* on tuning into a show - and
a weird show that is playin gon our 'community' channel at that - purely by
the fact that some cat group on the internet has recommended it.

Never the less, I was delighted to discover that "Iron Chef" had finally
made it onto Oz TV, and Iw as finally going to see what the Big Deal was.

I don't know whether it says anything about the quality of TV during the
summer ratings - free season, but this is the ONLY show I actually look
forward to during the week,. And woe betide if Joel starts fussing with the
TV's picture or sound or whatever it is Joel likes fussing with on his
beloved electrical junk during that precious half hour.

It is *such* a cool show. I"ve even converted Joel. It kicks the crap out of
Nigella Bites or anything by Jamie Oliver, and always absolutely *astounds*
me how anyone can make 5 full courses in only an hour. Of course the
commentary has its own translated charm, and the costumes of the host are a
definate highlight of the show, but its now my favourite show on TV.

Thankyou RPCA, for calling it to my attention. Its cool!

Yowie

Old December 21st 03, 12:31 AM
Stacey

I love it when the translators laugh... they actually say "Ha ha Ha!". LOL..
we used to watch this alot... it's a gas!

Stacey

u...

Old December 21st 03, 01:49 AM
Jeanne Hedge

Allez Cuisine!

Did you know that Takeshi Kaga, who plays Chairman Kaga, played Jean
Valjean in the original Japanese production of "Les Miserables"?
There's a video of the 10th anniversary production of Les Miz, a
concert version from Royal Albert Hall in London (I *love* Lea
Salonga's Eponine). Part of the encores was a group of 17 Jean
Valjeans from various international productions, and he was part of
that group.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Old December 21st 03, 04:30 AM
Marina

"Stacey" wrote
I love it when the translators laugh... they actually say "Ha ha Ha!".

LOL..
we used to watch this alot... it's a gas!

nitpicking
I haven't seen the show, though we did get it here in Finland for a while,
but it sounds as if it's the interpreter, not the translator, who does the
laughing. An interpreter translates live, while a translator translates text
on paper.

Actually the terms would fit better the other way around, because an
interpreter doesn't really have much time to interpret (though for a TV
show, they've probably translated the text beforehand, and the narrator
reads it on tape), because they have to do it on the run, while a translator
has time to actually interpret what they are translating, since they do not
translate speech into speech, but text into text.
/nitpicking

And no-one will probably be able to interpret what I was trying to say
there. ;o)

--
Marina, translator, not interpreter

Old December 21st 03, 06:31 AM
Hopitus2

We get this show on local cable....and to most of our friends, it's a real
hoot. We have strange senses of humor, granted......but.......the main
hilarity to us is the raw ingredients shown in heavy-duty *close-up* zoom
shots of camera: recently living, but newly dead critters - rarely mammals -
that any self-respecting *cat* would snarf right up, raw and smelly all to
the goodie factor. Oh, yeah, there is great ingenuity in the chefs using
said ingredients for final stupendous offering savored over and
complimented, always, by the ever-polite far Eastern "judges" (but in their
own language! Interpreters only feed *us* God-knows-what in comments; I'd
love to know what they're really saying).....another interesting factor is
that no one I know would touch any of it if they were starving; the finished
dishes are *not* for the American palate, no way. If a group of us are
sitting around and a few drinks are imbibed watching the show, rude and
raucous comments are made by we, the viewing audience, especially when the
closeups of the munching "judges" zoom in! I will not repeat the comments
here. I believe it is a widely-held belief that most Americans are not very
adventurous in their eating habits; this is sure true for us. Maybe we
wouldn't think the show so funny if we were.

"Marina" wrote in message
:
: "Stacey" wrote
[...]
: --
: Marina, translator, not interpreter
: Email marina (dot) kurten (at) pp (dot) inet (dot) fi
: Pics at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/frankiennikki
:

Old December 21st 03, 12:28 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

It is *such* a cool show. I"ve even converted Joel. It kicks the crap out of
Nigella Bites or anything by Jamie Oliver, and always absolutely *astounds*
me how anyone can make 5 full courses in only an hour. Of course the
commentary has its own translated charm, and the costumes of the host are a
definate highlight of the show, but its now my favourite show on TV.

It sounds *vaguely* like our "Ready Steady Cook" where there's two chefs in the
kitchen and each has a "member of the audience" bring dwon a carrier bag of
assorted ingredients to a specific maximum monetary value. The chefs then
decide what they'll be cooking with the ingedients and have to produce several
dishes over the next 20 minutes. The audience then decide which chef has done
the best and a prize is given to the person who brought the ingredients. Is it
a bit like that?

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old December 21st 03, 12:46 PM
Karen

in article , Hopitus2 at
wrote on 12/21/03 12:31 AM:

[...]

I always think most of it looks delicious. Occassioanlly there is something
that I think, OK, even I could not eat that. But mostly I just want some
really badly. It is so pretty.

I think the translations are for real.

Karen

Old December 21st 03, 03:44 PM
Stacey

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
in article ,
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers at
omcom wrote on
12/21/03 6:28 AM:

[...]

Kind of. But half the fun of IC is the elaborate and dramatic presentation
of the ingredients. It's extremely dramatic and showy. But the basic rules
are the same except there is usually ONE main ingredient the chairman
selects and often it is some enormously expensive ingredient.

Karen

The host wears elaborate costuming, and they introduce the chefs with lights
and driving BOOM music... I can't explain it. Kind of like American Idol
with chefs?

Stacey