Icarus Attacks

Old August 31st 04, 07:18 PM
Cat Protector

Default Icarus Attacks

I was wondering if any of you had an idea how to get Icarus to stop
attacking my other cats. He seems to always chase after Isis and there has
been some agressive wrestling and biting. As a result she cries, growls and
hisses, then she runs away from him. He then still chases after her. I
figured his being neutered would have calmed him down and I also have done
the vanilla extract trick. This works for a little bit. With the exception
of eating and playing he seems drawn to try and assert his dominance over
her. He is 8 months old so would his still being a kitten have something to
do with this?

Old August 31st 04, 07:57 PM
Cat Protector

I have come between them plenty of times. I have sent him to time-out as
well as used the squirt bottle. I have also told him NO several times. He
also has been told BAD KITTY. He has yet to get the message. He certainly
lives up to his name. I have also told Isis that she is head cat and needs
to fight back and chase him. I would never hit my cats as this is no way to
discipline.

"kaeli" wrote in message
YOU are the leader of your house.
If he won't stop, it is your job to protect Isis and teach Icarus respect.

When he doesn't stop when she asks - you ask.
If he doesn't stop when you ask, he has consequences. Whatever

consequences
work best for both of you. I like timeouts and a mild scruffing[1] when
required; they work for us. Other people find their cats don't like being
squirted. Others are fine with just a clap. Anything he finds aversive

enough
to stop his behavior is fine. Doesn't have to be anything more than a clap

of
your hands and a loud NO if that stops him. He may need a timeout in

addition
to that, or even a mild scruffing[1]. When he learns that being overly
assertive gets him worse than nothing, he'll seriously cut down and
eventually stop.

A Mama cat would protect her babies from aggressors, even if they are

family
members. Our house cats are often never really beyond that need - except

it's
us they need instead.

How I handle Rowan, my assertive cat:
1: Warning. Usually a clap with a growly HEY.
2: Red Alert: Increase volume of clap and HEY and move to get up (just

shift
weight forward and stare at her). This usually results in a "who, me? you
sure you meant me?" expression from the cat and she stops.
3: Bombs Away: Growl loudly, get up, get cat, hold firmly by scruff while
fully supporting weight in arms, and escort to bedroom, where she is given

timeout for 10-20 minutes. Often accompied by a BAD KITTY verbal reprimand
and possibly a bit of cussing *LOL*.

She has always stopped (at least for several hours) after 3. I've never
needed a 4.
We almost never get to 3 anymore. I can't remember the last time I needed

go that far. (yay!)

[1] I know you aren't the physical type, but for the record and the

archives,
I do not advocate EVER hitting, rough scruffing (where the weight isn't
supported and the cat is shaken) or in any way hurting a cat. Fear !=
respect. Had to be said.

~kaeli~
Found God? If nobody claims Him in 30 days, He's yours to
keep.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old August 31st 04, 10:04 PM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I have come between them plenty of times. I have sent him to time-out as
well as used the squirt bottle. I have also told him NO several times. He
also has been told BAD KITTY. He has yet to get the message. He certainly
lives up to his name. I have also told Isis that she is head cat and needs
to fight back and chase him. I would never hit my cats as this is no way

discipline.

Sometimes it can take up to a month for the hormones to dissipate. Not the
best word, but I can't think of a better one right now.
For now, be consistent and firm with Icarus. Sounds like you are on the
right track. Don't be surprised if Icarus takes over Isis's place as head of
the cat household.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old August 31st 04, 10:16 PM
Cat Protector

I have patience. He already went into timeout today for attacking Isis in
her favorite spot. He was given another firm NO. As for him taking over the
spot as top cat I have reassured her she will still be the #1. Icarus
doesn't mess to much with Jade though.