Kitties and Company

Old July 11th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Kitties and Company

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 10, 6:57 pm, "cybercat" wrote:

Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

My cats love company. As soon as someone rings the bell, my Mickey
runs for the door to see who it is. Then he proceeds to show off for
whoever it is by running around like a maniac, or asking them to give
him a belly rub. Meesha is more shy, but she still likes to check out
company. Now my last cat was a hider. In fact whenever we went out
of town and had someone come in to care for her, she would hiss at
them. Didn't make it easy to find a cat sitter, lol

I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
skittish.

Old July 11th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mariib via CatKB.com

cybercat wrote:
Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

My tuxie Little Devil *loves* people - anybody & everybody & as soon as he
hears the door or doorbell goes racing to it to be there to greet
whoever's
coming in.

That is so precious! Our Boo runs and hides when the doorbell rings, but
comes out to see the visitors shortly thereafter. It is as though it is the
bell
that scares her, not the people. She is a tuxedo too!

No matter who or how many people are here visiting, he's right
there, in their face, hanging around, following the newcomers whereever

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
there's
a crowd, Coco won't re-appear until everyone's gone.

Isn't it interesting how different they are, how each is a unique
individual?

Were yours raised from kittens, in the same place?

Not at all - I got Coco from one of the emergency clinics in the city in 2002
when he was about 6-8 months old. According to their records, this was the
3rd time he'd been abandoned - adopted twice from the local Humane Society &
returned to them, then adopted a 3rd time & dumped at this emergency clinic.
He'd been there for 3 months, with zero interest from anyone in adopting him
& they were planning to start using him as a blood donor for clinic surgeries.
He's a very handsome boy with a sweet gentle personality. Why no one wanted
to keep him I don't know because he has no bad habits. His coloring is a
little unusual - if he was black & white he'd be called a tuxedo but he's
light tan & white (or blonde & white, or brown & white, sometimes a light
orange & white - as you see I have difficulty describing his color). Coco
lived peacefully here with Tigra, then 16-1/2 years old for 2 years until mid-
August 04 when Tigra began failing & I was thinking about euthanasia for her.
Here's a couple pictures of Coco in the webshots album Coco, Little Devil &
Tigra (RB) http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22749...50028271SyjMIL or
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23685...50028271lNvHjA

On a rainy Saturday afternoon at the end of Aug 04, I was picking up
medication for Tigra from the vet & heard a huge racket which they told me
was from a tiny kitten that had been left in a broken box in the parking lot
overnight in the rain. I went to take a look & lost my heart to a black &
white whirling spitfire, Little Devil who wouldn't stay quietly in a cage -
they had him loose in a small room in the back. I brought him home a week
later, kept him separated for a week or so until it became evident that Coco
was very curious & interested so we integrated the cats. Tigra was
rejuvenated & she was fairly healthy another year until Sept 05 when she went
into a rapid deterioration & was put to sleep. Little Devil is still constant
trouble & fun, excitable, very talkative, always in constant motion & into
everything. His looks & personality sound similar to PawsForThought's Mickey.
Here's a picture of him in the same album:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28072...50028271sBAeGe or
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23400...50028271uaYpTs

The 2 get along pretty well most of the time, not as close as my previous
cats but they keep each other company.
M.

Old July 11th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
judas you

On Jul 11, 9:48 pm, "mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote:

The 2 get along pretty well most of the time, not as close as my previous
cats but they keep each other company.
M.

aww, that's just terrible about the little tuxedo cat.
That's a pretty at in the pic, he's real lucky.

Barry

Old July 12th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Jul 11, 1:37 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"PawsForThought" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 10, 6:57 pm, "cybercat" wrote:

Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

My cats love company. As soon as someone rings the bell, my Mickey
runs for the door to see who it is. Then he proceeds to show off for
whoever it is by running around like a maniac, or asking them to give
him a belly rub. Meesha is more shy, but she still likes to check out
company. Now my last cat was a hider. In fact whenever we went out
of town and had someone come in to care for her, she would hiss at
them. Didn't make it easy to find a cat sitter, lol

I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
skittish.

No, not that often and sometimes I think maybe that's why they're the
way they are. Maybe your cats are just being territorial and they
don't like when someone comes into their territory.

Old July 12th 07, 06:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Jul 11, 5:48 pm, "mariib via CatKB.com" u22469@uwe wrote:
Little Devil is still constant
trouble & fun, excitable, very talkative, always in constant motion & into
everything. His looks & personality sound similar to PawsForThought's Mickey.
Here's a picture of him in the same album:http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28072...50028271uaYpTs

Your kitties are adorable! I can't believe how much your Little Devil
looks like my Mickey, including the white mustache. I think they must
be long distance brothers for su

http://pets.webshots.com/album/188164456EzowMi

Old July 12th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"PawsForThought" wrote
I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
skittish.

No, not that often and sometimes I think maybe that's why they're the
way they are. Maybe your cats are just being territorial and they
don't like when someone comes into their territory.

Noo! My cats are being little scaredy cats! Little weenies!

lol

They are major drama queens.

I guess they really do have widely differing personalities.

My comment was based on the idea that things that are out of the ordinary
might make cats nervous, whereas if they are more used to them they would
not be. If your cats love company but you, like we, seldom have it, then the
kitties themselves must just react to it differently.

Gracie was hilarious when my company left. She was all sprawled out in the
middle of whatever room I was in, like, "yessss, this is the life, no aliens
around and I am the center of attention!) Boo was just like, business as
usual. Demand food, get food, sleep it off, pee on the rug, hahaha!

Old July 14th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 10 Jul, 23:57, "cybercat" wrote:
I had a houseguest come visit for a week, and it is always the same old
thing--this wonderful little tabby who does all these cute things turned
into a neurotic little hider!

he was here for about a week, and toward the end of the week Gracie came out
of
hiding as we sat in my office. We ignored her completely, and she began
rubbing on my leg. I continued talking to him, absently petting her but not
looking at her. She left, came back in, and announced her presence with a
meow! Then she sprawled under the work table and gazed at my friend.

But the next day, she was hiding again.

Our other cat comes right up to everyone, and she also was raised in a
one-cat, quiet household.

Do your cats act differently when you have overnight company?

Yes, especially Lilly.

She will go to the guest & plonk herself down on their lap, which she
refuses to do with anyone here, unless *she feels like it*, ( or you
have white chocolate of course!)

It is as though she is gloating @ all of us when she does this. you
can see the smirk under those huge white whiskers,

Sheelagh

Old July 16th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Jul 12, 4:39 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"PawsForThought" wrote

I'm curious, do you have company a lot? Like, say, three times or more
most weeks? We don't, and I think this might be why my babies are so
skittish.

No, not that often and sometimes I think maybe that's why they're the
way they are. Maybe your cats are just being territorial and they
don't like when someone comes into their territory.

Noo! My cats are being little scaredy cats! Little weenies!

ROFL!!!

My comment was based on the idea that things that are out of the ordinary
might make cats nervous, whereas if they are more used to them they would
not be. If your cats love company but you, like we, seldom have it, then the
kitties themselves must just react to it differently.

Yeah, these cats are definitely different than ones I've had in the
past, especially Mickey. I think he was a dog in a previous life.

Gracie was hilarious when my company left. She was all sprawled out in the
middle of whatever room I was in, like, "yessss, this is the life, no aliens
around and I am the center of attention!) Boo was just like, business as
usual. Demand food, get food, sleep it off, pee on the rug, hahaha!

Awww LOL