How to keep cats off of tables?

Old October 2nd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

Default How to keep cats off of tables?

On Oct 1, 7:00 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:05:23 -0400, steve84 wrote:
Hi
I adopted 2 cats yesterday from a pet adoption thing at our local zoo.
I adopted a male and a female and they both are 6 months old. They are
great but we have been having a war over the kitchen table. I must have
taken them both off of the table 40 times today when I was trying to eat
lunch and dinner. They have dry food that is out all the time but they
want to see what I am eating when I sit there.

Just yell "hey!" every time they go on the table and growl "don't do it!"
when they're contemplating it. If "hey!" doesn't get kitty off the table then
go over to the table and pick kitty up and put kitty down on the floor.
Repeat until kitty gets tired of jumping up or your arms fall off.

Find something else to keep their attention.
And understand that cats can be very stubborn. You have to be even more
stubborn.

My pussy used to come to my plate when I ate. Got tired of trying to
keep her away so I let her sneak a little piece of meat. Seems it had
too much hot pepper for her. She's not so eager to get at my plate
any more specially if she can smell the pepper.

Old October 2nd 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote
Where have you been?!

Bummed out mainly.

I moved on July 1 and my 7 years old big smokey grey Gus died of
stress that day. After letting him out in the new place to slink
around to explore I found him dead in a closet 20 minutes later.

O, God, M., I am so sorry. It's unimaginable. I am sure this is little if
any
comfort, but maybe he had a little "time bomb" inside, a heart condition
or blood clot, and might have gone anyway. I guess I mean to say I hope
you aren't blaming yourself.

I was
so looking forward to the joy he would have got with the many windows
that have deep window ledges to sit in. Now my 17 year Zak is in renal
trouble and is totally fighting any attempt to administer Sub Qs.

Poor little guy. What terrible things to happen all at once.

Instead of feeling the need to share this I just withdrew.

Understandable, that is often my first response to tragic events. Glad
you're back. Sending Zak good thoughts.

Old October 2nd 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

On Oct 1, 3:01 am, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
None of that will work. Do what I do, set a place for them. Pour them a
drink. Teach them to use utensils. Let them on the table. So what? Just
wash it down when you are done. If you ca't beat them, join them.

ROFL! Great answer.

I had initially trained our cats to stay off the kitchen counter. But
all it took was for my DH to allow them up there one time, and all my
training was ruined.

Old October 3rd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:42:42 -0700, James wrote:

My pussy used to come to my plate when I ate. Got tired of trying to
keep her away so I let her sneak a little piece of meat. Seems it had
too much hot pepper for her. She's not so eager to get at my plate
any more specially if she can smell the pepper.

I utter a four letter word beggining with F to call my cats for treats:
FISH! It pretty much means any solid food (beef,chicken,fish,cheese
it's all 'fish' to them)

They know that if I haven't said the f-word, then there is no way
they're going to get anything. Usually towards the end of the meal
I'll reserve some pieces of meat for the kitties and say "fish!" to
call them over.

Then I say "That's it!" when I want them to understand that I'm done
feeding them.
Old October 10th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Student 1

Hi there,

I was looking after my sisters Devon Rex cat after she got married and had a
few problems. The cat who was called Gaston used to jump into the frying
pan to actually get the food. It was very frustrating, in the end I tried
something simple and it seemed to work. I got a small squirt bottle and
every time it jumped up on the benches or near the stove I would give it a
squirt. They do learn eventually.

Gilian

--
Regards,