collar that doesn't come off?

Old October 15th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

Default collar that doesn't come off?

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:26:53 GMT, kitkat via CatKB.com u26561@uwe wrote:

for a while I gave up on the collar altogether because stewie is indeed an
indoor cat. but he slipped ou when I was bringing in the dry cleaning one
day and I was in a state of total panic that he didn't have a collar (and of
course that he got out).

as for the choking thing - obviously I don't want my cat to chock on his
collar - but I also think he needs to wear one. that said this requires that
he wear one that will actually stay on.

to the individual who so rudely chastized me, my question is this - do you
want your cat to get lost and end up picked up by animal control and killed?
well neither do I - some things are a tough call and I think my cat is more
likely to get lost than hang himself.

as for the chip - how does one get one of those and how does it work?

It negates your entire post.

Why don't you do a google search for "cat chip ID" and quit making
such a fool of yourself?
Old October 15th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Trish

I didn't know too much about microchips until I adopted 2 sister cats
from a local shelter 3 years ago. The shelter puts the chips in all
their animals. I liked the idea so much, I put it in my other kitty
we adopted. The vet charged me about 40 dollars. Well worth it!!!
All vets and shelters in the US have a scanner to read the chips, I
believe.

Trish

Old October 16th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:55:47 -0700, Trish
wrote:

I didn't know too much about microchips until I adopted 2 sister cats
from a local shelter 3 years ago. The shelter puts the chips in all
their animals. I liked the idea so much, I put it in my other kitty
we adopted. The vet charged me about 40 dollars. Well worth it!!!
All vets and shelters in the US have a scanner to read the chips, I
believe.

Trish

Well, not all, and the big problem is that there are several standards
and most vets can only detect one type. Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong.

My vets (two brothers) who I like very much, don't do the chipping
because they're waiting until there is a single standard. Also, I have
read that there is some risk associated with the chips, well, there is
with everything I suppose.
Old October 16th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
PawsForThought

I've been using this collar, made by Harmony. It can stretch over the
cat's head if he gets caught on something.

http://www.harmonybuckles.com/merchant/index.html

Old October 17th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
kitkat via CatKB.com

perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
since they're right here!

and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....

not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
option....not a contradiction.

Old October 17th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:01:52 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe
wrote:

perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
since they're right here!

and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....

not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
option....not a contradiction.

Both is not a bad idea. Someone finding the cat might no nothing about
chips, but a collar is obvious.
Old October 17th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

wrote:

perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
since they're right here!

and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....

not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
option....not a contradiction.

Both is not a bad idea. Someone finding the cat might no nothing about
chips, but a collar is obvious.

Whole Foods stocks a nice purple plastic herbal collar that I've found
to be successful even though Beebe is a male cat and I guess purple is
a sissy color. His pelt is so thick that it really cant be seen
anyway. Its called Pet Guard Herbal Collar and it smells real nice.
Beebe has his mind on so many other things that he doesn't seem to
care about the collar. I put a tiny bell on it and his name tag.

Old October 17th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:01:52 GMT, kitkat via CatKB.com u26561@uwe wrote:

perhaps I could have done a google search... but what luck I have this
marvelous resource...a cat forum of owners that have EXPERIENCE with the chip!
what luck...hmm maybe I'll get info and assessments on the chip from them
since they're right here!

and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the chip can
only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in any way....

not everything is one or the other...sometimes both is useful...esp. when you
cat constantly chews off his collar...the chip sounds like a nice backup
option....not a contradiction.

If kitty goes outside, a non-breakaway collar is deadly and a breakaway
collar will get left behind somewhere.

It's a no-brainer like the decision to get kitty neutered.
Old October 17th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response from "kitkat via CatKB.com" u26561@uwe:

and I'm not giving up on the collar - I just think that adding the
chip can only help as long as the chip isn't harmful to the cat in
any way....

http://www.homeagain.com/3_3.html#myth9

"The chip is made out of an inert, biocompatible substance, which
means it won't cause an allergic reaction or degenerate over time. In
addition, HomeAgain is the only microchip on the market today that
has the Bio-Bond Patented migration feature to help ensure that the
chip stays in place."

I actually meant to post this in response to someone else recently
who mentioned something about the chip migrating. I forgot where I
read that though...

Good luck!

(Also, if you are truly sincere about helping your cat and not just
sticking a noose on his neck then I'd ignore the personal attacks.
YOU are the smart one for trying to do the right thing. Just make
sure you have all the facts so that you STAY the smart one.)

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 18th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mystro

On Oct 15, 9:50 am, James wrote:
I find the bell specially useful INDOOR as I've already stepped on her
a few times without it. She does not meow. She often comes near me
without me knowing it.

Is there something indoors that would snag a cat?

Exactly..especially for cats that like to run near your feet.

I'm sure on rare occation a cat
might get hung up on something and same for the dog but you can bet
it's ultra rare..there's a thousand things in
their lives which are alot more dangerious..like getting stepped on
and/or a 150lb person falling on them. I've done some
fairly deep archive searches and never found an instance where a cat
died from hanging?

Alternative for cat collar? The Other Mike Cat health & behaviour 3 June 1st 06 11:05 PM
Cat collar Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 4 May 31st 06 01:06 AM
Cat collar Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 13 May 23rd 06 11:37 AM
Radio Collar Stephen G. Giannoni Cat health & behaviour 2 January 6th 06 08:28 PM
Rocky's new collar Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 10 October 10th 04 02:47 AM