OT - IT SNOWED

Old December 11th 08, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Default OT - IT SNOWED

Your cats must be confused about the snow.

--
Ann
in Connecticut
"CatNipped" wrote in message
IT SNOWED! IT SNOWED! IT SNOWED!! Houston just got its 0.000000000001%
annual snowfall all in one day. BTW, be sure to check out the prints in
the snow: http://www.possibleplaces.com/snowfall/

--

Hugs,

/\.../\
( '.' )
(")_(")

CatNipped

Old December 11th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"CatNipped" wrote in message
. ..

"CatNipped" wrote in message
IT SNOWED! IT SNOWED! IT SNOWED!! Houston just got its
0.000000000001% annual snowfall all in one day. BTW, be sure to check
out the prints in the snow: http://www.possibleplaces.com/snowfall/

--

Hugs,

/\.../\
( '.' )
(")_(")

CatNipped

We are getting freezing rain right now (10:00 p.m. Wed., Dec. 10), and a
number of roads are closed. I haven't seen snow for several years, but
freezing rain is always more deadly and also more damaging to plant,
downed power lines, etc.

MaryL

I had a real scare coming in to work this morning. Even when it just
rains, the truck is highly likely to spin-out on slick streets - the rear
end of a truck is so much lighter than the front end that it gets no
traction. There was one overpass this morning that was covered with a
thick sheet of ice. I did fine as long as traffic was moving at a steady
15MPH clip. But at one point, just at an incline, traffic slowed to a
stop and I had to apply the gas pedal lightly. The back end of my truck
swung frighteningly close to the guard rail of the overpass and my
heartrate went through the roof. Thankfully there was no other cars around
me, so a very small, steady pressure on the gas pedal finally got the
truck straightened out.

There are *SO* many accidents down here when the weather gets like this -
people literally don't know how to drive here when there is ice on the
roads (there isn't a store within 1,000 miles that would have anything
even resembling tire chains)! There must have been 10 - 15 multiple car
pile-ups here this morning!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm glad you were able to control your vehicle and were not in an accident.
I grew up in Ohio, and drivers in this area scare me a lot more when we get
ice because they don't have any experience with it and don't know how to
drive in those conditions. We also don't have snow removal equipment
because it would sit completely unused for several years at a time.

We were lucky last night. We had rain, and it did freeze, but there was
only a light coating of ice on everything this morning. It is already
melting rapidly (8:30 a.m.) and will probably be gone in half an hour or so.
Conditions were actually much worse *south* of us this time, just as you
described.

MaryL

Old December 11th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

CatNipped kirjoitti:

[...]

Over here some drivers actually add weight to the back of their cars to
help with traction in the winter. If you already know that there will be
weather where your truck might spin out, you could throw a sack or two
of sand (or kitty litter, or whatever...), maybe around 80-100 lbs or
so, into the back/boot of your truck before you drive off.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old December 11th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

I had a real scare coming in to work this morning. Even when it just
rains, the truck is highly likely to spin-out on slick streets - the
rear end of a truck is so much lighter than the front end that it gets
no traction. There was one overpass this morning that was covered with
a thick sheet of ice. I did fine as long as traffic was moving at a
steady 15MPH clip. But at one point, just at an incline, traffic slowed
to a stop and I had to apply the gas pedal lightly. The back end of my
truck swung frighteningly close to the guard rail of the overpass and my
heartrate went through the roof. Thankfully there was no other cars
around me, so a very small, steady pressure on the gas pedal finally got
the truck straightened out.

The scariest snow/ice experience I ever had while driving the truck was
just outside New Orleans of all places. Snow and ice had closed
Interstate 10 and traffic was being diverted to side streets to bypass
the closed area. At one point we were directed onto an old bridge. The
ends of this bridge had some serious sloped. I made it fine up to the
top, but coming down the other side when I applied the brakes gently, the
wheels locked up and I started sliding. Fortunately the slide stopped
before I rear-ended the car in front of me, but my heart was in my throat
by the time we stopped.

Snowfall in areas that aren't prepared for it and don't have to deal with
it on a regular basis is frightening.

Dan
Old December 11th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Christine K" wrote in message
CatNipped kirjoitti:

[...]

That's what we used to do when I was growing up in Ohio. We always used a
"gritty" substance (such as the sand or kitty litter that you mentioned),
and then it did double duty in case we got stuck in the snow--we could pour
some in front of the rear wheels for traction. We also kept goose-down
jackets, gloves, hat, and a shovel in the car--but that would be overdoing
it a bit for Houston. I live about 140 north of Houston, and I haven't seen
snow for several years. We had some freezing rain last night (fortunately,
not much) but no snow.

Memories...When I was a senior in high school, a friend asked me to drive
her car home from the movies because a lot of snow had fallen in the
meantime and she was afraid to drive. It really was difficult driving
because there were large patches of ice under the snow in some areas.
Still, I couldn't understand why the car seemed to be making such strange
"pulling" motions. Then she told me that to save money, she had only had
*one* snow tire put on the car!!!

MaryL

Old December 11th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Ann" wrote in message
Your cats must be confused about the snow.

Except for Jessie, I don't think they even noticed (they're indoor only and
they only get interested in the "out" is when they can see squirrels or
birds through my French doors.

Jessie, was definitely surprised when she ran outside to investigate. Maybe
it's because she was almost 8 months old when we got her and she had spent
those 8 months as an outdoor kitty, but she's the only one of the clowder
who will ever venture outside - the rest usually hide when they see an open
door. She is the only one we keep a collar on, with tags, just in case she
ever gets out when we're not looking. This sometimes happen when the
grandchildren are visiting and forget to close doors - she always appears at
the door soon afterwards, however, meowing to get in (I don't think she
ventures out of our yard).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 14th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

I guess in telling how bad Ike was, we got *3 INCHES* of snow by my
house!!! That is completely unheard of here in Houston!

3 inches is pretty impressive. I hate snow. N in Germany is lamenting that
she doesn't have enough snow yet, that it is melting after a day or so.
I'd be glad about that ;-) We always disagree about snow. She loves it, I
don't. She would like me to visit her when they have snow so I can see how
wonderful it is. I think not.
Brits don't like snow (at least in the quantities they have it Germany) so
that's a definite *no*
I'd prefer to visit in the spring when there are nightingales singing.

Tweed

Old December 14th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Dec 14, 8:36*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

*I hate snow.

I adore snow- I love looking out the window at how everything has
turned white whilst sitting in my warm flat...what I can't stand is
that in London it turns into slush very quickly then freezes over
making going for a walk a skating trip and the sure knowledge it
freaks out people who have never seen snow- like the underground
system!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs