I visted a friend today

Old May 6th 15, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I visted a friend today

A social worker I used to work with.
She has a cat that now 18 years old and is skin and bone, so I think she has
CRF, I asked if she drinks a lot, she does. I suggested she should take her
to the vet. I've left it up to her, as I don't want to do the Lennie thing
again. Like I know better than you.

Lennie is doing well now btw.

Aw, her Katy looks just like KittyFC did towards the end of her life. She
needs kidney food.
I have advised her that this might be a good idea if she wants to keep her
for a bit longer.

Old May 7th 15, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
A social worker I used to work with.
She has a cat that now 18 years old and is skin and bone, so I think she has
CRF, I asked if she drinks a lot, she does. I suggested she should take her
to the vet. I've left it up to her, as I don't want to do the Lennie thing
again. Like I know better than you.

Lennie is doing well now btw.

Aw, her Katy looks just like KittyFC did towards the end of her life. She
needs kidney food.
I have advised her that this might be a good idea if she wants to keep her
for a bit longer.

After I had to have Melisande PTS, Cendrillon (far from grieving) became
more sociable for a while, then began acting ill. Turns out her problem
was her kidneys, so she is now on a kidney diet. The moist food costs
an arm and a leg, the dry is less expensive, and she seems to prefer it,
but the vet wants her to have both. $99+ for 48 3 oz cans (ouch!) but
what can I do? She's getting to be an old lady, too - about nine, I
think.

Old May 7th 15, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 5/7/2015 3:34 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

After I had to have Melisande PTS, Cendrillon (far from grieving) became
more sociable for a while, then began acting ill. Turns out her problem
was her kidneys, so she is now on a kidney diet. The moist food costs
an arm and a leg, the dry is less expensive, and she seems to prefer it,
but the vet wants her to have both. $99+ for 48 3 oz cans (ouch!) but
what can I do? She's getting to be an old lady, too - about nine, I think.

That is incredibly expensive, even for prescription food. It might be
worthwhile to check other vet clinics so you could compare prices. Most
vets will sell food they have in stock even if you are not a client.

MaryL

Old May 7th 15, 11:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/7/2015 4:50 PM, MaryL wrote:
On 5/7/2015 3:34 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

After I had to have Melisande PTS, Cendrillon (far from grieving) became
more sociable for a while, then began acting ill. Turns out her problem
was her kidneys, so she is now on a kidney diet. The moist food costs
an arm and a leg, the dry is less expensive, and she seems to prefer it,
but the vet wants her to have both. $99+ for 48 3 oz cans (ouch!) but
what can I do? She's getting to be an old lady, too - about nine, I
think.

That is incredibly expensive, even for prescription food. It might be
worthwhile to check other vet clinics so you could compare prices. Most
vets will sell food they have in stock even if you are not a client.

MaryL

Yes, I got Persia's food from a different vet from the one I took her
to. Her vet just had to fax them a copy of the "prescription" for their
files. It was a lot cheaper. Persia's regular vet was a very small
office so they didn't have room to keep all sorts of food in stock; I'd
have to call ahead so they could order it or risk running out. Not so
with this other vet clinic. They had a large stockroom.

Jill
Old May 8th 15, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL wrote:
On 5/7/2015 3:34 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

After I had to have Melisande PTS, Cendrillon (far from grieving) became
more sociable for a while, then began acting ill. Turns out her problem
was her kidneys, so she is now on a kidney diet. The moist food costs
an arm and a leg, the dry is less expensive, and she seems to prefer it,
but the vet wants her to have both. $99+ for 48 3 oz cans (ouch!) but
what can I do? She's getting to be an old lady, too - about nine, I
think.

That is incredibly expensive, even for prescription food. It might be
worthwhile to check other vet clinics so you could compare prices. Most
vets will sell food they have in stock even if you are not a client.

MaryL

Yeah, but only this one is close enough so they're willing to deliver!
(I live in a Senior Residence, and no longer have transportation as needed.)

Old May 9th 15, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/8/2015 3:02 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Delivery makes a difference. I wonder if you could order it online?
Pet Rx or something like that. I have no idea whether or not it would
be less expensive but it might be. You'd need to be able to scan or
send them a copy of the "prescription" for the order. Just a thought.

Persia was diagnosed with kidney problems and managed to live a good
*happy* active three years afterwards eating the kidney diet food. She,
too, preferred the dry food. In fact, she loved it! She turned her
nose up at the r/x wet food. I have no idea what they put in that stuff
but she was like, "Nope, I'm not gonna eat that." The goal is to keep
them hydrated. Plenty of water.

Best of luck!

Jill
Old May 9th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
On 5/7/2015 3:34 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

After I had to have Melisande PTS, Cendrillon (far from grieving) became
more sociable for a while, then began acting ill. Turns out her problem
was her kidneys, so she is now on a kidney diet. The moist food costs
an arm and a leg, the dry is less expensive, and she seems to prefer it,
but the vet wants her to have both. $99+ for 48 3 oz cans (ouch!) but
what can I do? She's getting to be an old lady, too - about nine, I
think.

That is incredibly expensive, even for prescription food. It might be
worthwhile to check other vet clinics so you could compare prices. Most
vets will sell food they have in stock even if you are not a client.

MaryL

Vets always put ++ on special food for your cat and dogs because they know
you are horribly worried (and it funds their Mercedes & BMW's)
Although some foods are not available (and shouldn't be) except via a vet, I
have found that Rita does not have to pay 3 pounds a tin for Lennie's
special wet "sensitive" food from his vet. I have bought the equivalent,
not quite as much rice in, which is good as he is slightly allergic to rice,
otherwise it is the same, for 3.50 for 6 tins. It's for allergic dogs with
sensitive tummies plus skin allergies (for his feet)
He had it yesterday for the first time. He left a bit of it and was allowed
to starve. He's been used to "I don't want that, give me something else"
Bad luck that boy ;-)
Took him out for a megawalk today. He retired to his bed when we got home,
tired, and I expect him to have a good appetite when he gets up.
About 2 miles plus. It's really good for me too. This time a year ago I
couldn't walk to the end of my garden.

Tweed

Old May 9th 15, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
A social worker I used to work with.
She has a cat that now 18 years old and is skin and bone, so I think she
has CRF, I asked if she drinks a lot, she does. I suggested she should
take her to the vet. I've left it up to her, as I don't want to do the
Lennie thing again. Like I know better than you.

Lennie is doing well now btw.

Aw, her Katy looks just like KittyFC did towards the end of her life. She
needs kidney food.
I have advised her that this might be a good idea if she wants to keep
her for a bit longer.

I am not going to interfere about Katy. I've been in the same situation..

Old May 9th 15, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

Persia was diagnosed with kidney problems and managed to live a good
*happy* active three years afterwards eating the kidney diet food. She,
too, preferred the dry food. In fact, she loved it! She turned her
nose up at the r/x wet food. I have no idea what they put in that stuff
but she was like, "Nope, I'm not gonna eat that." The goal is to keep
them hydrated. Plenty of water.

Well, Cendrillon's reaction to it is kind of mixed. When I start to
dish it out, she's right there meowing and eager, pounces on the dish as
soon as I set it down, eats a mouthful or two, then ignores most of the
rest until the next evening when I feed her again. (I have a
self-feeding gadget for the dry food, so she can eat that at will.) The
moist food is a stew of chicken and veggies - apparently ailing feline
kidneys have difficulty handling a high protein diet. (Wonder if the
same is true for humans?)
Old May 14th 15, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
A social worker I used to work with.
She has a cat that now 18 years old and is skin and bone, so I think she
has CRF, I asked if she drinks a lot, she does. I suggested she should
take her to the vet. I've left it up to her, as I don't want to do the
Lennie thing again. Like I know better than you.

So Katy was outside. I fetched her in and said "make the most of her" I
doubt she has many more months to live. She's a skeleton. (is that a word?)
You know what I mean.