cat climbing curtains

Old January 31st 04, 03:37 PM
JANET

Default cat climbing curtains

My 10 month old kitten has just started to
climb my curtains and I don't want to declaw her any suggestions. I have
yelled at her and have used the squirt gun.

Old January 31st 04, 03:46 PM
Gail

Trim her claws regularly and provide a turbo scratcher for her to scratch.
This can be purchased on line.
Gail

Old January 31st 04, 09:37 PM
MacCandace

My 10 month old kitten has just started to
climb my curtains and I don't want to declaw her any suggestions. I have
yelled at her and have used the squirt gun.

It's good that you don't want to declaw her as that is a very cruel and painful
procedure. The suggestions of a cat tree and tying your curtains back are very
good. I would imagine that this is a stage which she will outgrow soon so you
just have to keep the curtains out of her way until then or redirect her
energies to something else, like a cat tree. I believe Wal-Mart has some
fairly cheap ones, only about $30. At least that is what I have read on this
newsgroup. They are not of wonderful quality but they'll work for awhile. At
some point, she will just be too big to do it as the curtains won't support her
weight so she'll stop. My youngest cat used to climb the shower curtain when
she was little but she stopped when she got older. Of course, curtains are
generally more expensive than shower curtains and I can understand you don't
want them trashed. I would definitely tie them back or even take them down for
a couple of months.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old January 31st 04, 10:38 PM
Phil P

"JANET" wrote in message
My 10 month old kitten has just started to
climb my curtains and I don't want to declaw her any suggestions.

Sounds familiar.... I know another poster who had the same problem (the
cat wasn't the problem, the owner was) - the owner was just too lazy, inept
and selfish to train her cat -- and then rationalized (IOW, conjured up
self-satisfying reasons) that her curtains were more important to her than
parts of her cat's anatomy... so she had all *ten* distal phalanges of her
cat's forelimbs *amputated* at the joints.... and justified it!

I have
yelled at her and have used the squirt gun.

http://maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

http://maxshouse.com/understanding_scratching.htm

http://www.catscratching.com/

Pay special attention to the placement of the scratching posts.

Good luck.

Phil

Old February 1st 04, 07:42 AM
wumpygirl

"JANET" wrote in message
My 10 month old kitten has just started to
climb my curtains and I don't want to declaw her any suggestions. I have
yelled at her and have used the squirt gun.

If all advice given by others fail, perhaps vertical blinds might be an
option?

Climbing the walls O J Cat anecdotes 15 June 11th 04 01:29 PM
Cat is Destroying Curtains what can I Do odie Cat health & behaviour 86 August 19th 03 09:17 PM