claws out when jumping into or out of lap

Old February 11th 04, 12:10 AM
Rob

Default claws out when jumping into or out of lap

Hello, we have three great cats, two of them are brothers and exhibit the
same behavior. They are about three years old and declawed (adopted them
that way). They never scratch or use their claws or bite, except when
jumping into or out of our laps, they extend their rear claws about half of
the time, of course leaving lovely scratches through our clothing. We tell
them NO and tap their paws when they do this, but I guess they don't
understand. How can we train them to keep the claws in (its not like theyre
slipping and scrambling around to get up or down). I suppose we should have
tried to train them out of this when they were young, perhaps it's too late.
We keep their claws clipped but it still hurts and scratches us up. I guess
the blood is a small price to pay for their love .

Old February 11th 04, 12:36 AM
Cheryl

Rob wrote in on 10 Feb
2004:

They are about three years old and declawed (adopted them
that way). They never scratch or use their claws or bite, except when
jumping into or out of our laps, they extend their rear claws about
half of the time, of course leaving lovely scratches through our
clothing. We tell them NO and tap their paws when they do this, but I
guess they don't understand. How can we train them to keep the claws
in (its not like theyre slipping and scrambling around to get up or
down).

Rear claws don't retract like front claws so it isn't like a behavior you
can train. You can only keep them clipped.

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.
MIB II

Old February 11th 04, 02:05 AM
Wendy

If it's a real problem you might want to try Soft Paws. They are vinyl caps
that fit over the nails.

Old February 11th 04, 02:18 AM
Rob

"Cheryl" wrote in message Rear claws don't
retract like front claws so it isn't like a behavior you
can train. You can only keep them clipped.

--
Cheryl

Trapped like rats. In a chia-pet.
MIB II

that's interesting, i figured it was something they have control over since
i watch them pull the claws in when they want and sometimes they put them
out to push off and sometimes they dont. 'tis ok, i can live with it (he
says as he rubs his latest lacerations)

Old February 11th 04, 02:28 AM
Cheryl

Rob wrote in on 10 Feb
2004:

that's interesting, i figured it was something they have control over
since i watch them pull the claws in when they want and sometimes they
put them out to push off and sometimes they dont. 'tis ok, i can live
with it (he says as he rubs his latest lacerations)

They are only "flexing" them. It is a clear indication on how infused a
cats claws are to their digits.

Old February 11th 04, 05:41 AM
William Hamblen

On 2004-02-11, Rob wrote:

How can we train them to keep the claws in (its not like theyre
slipping and scrambling around to get up or down). I suppose we should have
tried to train them out of this when they were young, perhaps it's too late.
We keep their claws clipped but it still hurts and scratches us up. I guess
the blood is a small price to pay for their love .

My theory is that the cats don't realize that clothes cover flesh. My cats
don't grab skin, but don't hesitate to grab clothing. You could go naked,
I suppose, to avoid the problem.