FVR-CP Vaccination: Only Annual?

Old March 22nd 04, 05:59 PM
Caroline

Default FVR-CP Vaccination: Only Annual?

Hello,

My little cat is seeing the vet for his FVR-CP (distemper etc.) shot this week.
I asked the vet assistant if there was a "three-year" version of it, as I now
get him the three-year rabies shot. She said, no, not to her knowledge.

I have no idea whether an FVR-CP vaccination lasting more than about a year is
even chemically/biologically possible, but I thought it was worth asking here.

My quick Internet search indicates the FVR-CP is an annual, period. Anyone hear
otherwise? Or is a longer-term version perhaps being developed?

Update: My little cat has recovered nicely from his abscessed infection of circa
late December. It took (my) lancing, a lot of flushing of the wound, and
ultimately, one trip to the vet. Though the vet could do no more than look at my
cat through his travel crate (as he is ferocious outside the house!), she
prescribed the anti-biotic ClindaCure (= Clindamycin Hydrochloride) for 7 days.
Clindacure is particularly effective on anaerobic bacteria, IIRC. The vet was
really cool and explained why she felt the Clindacure would be better than
Amoxicillin. The vet also gave me a "kidney syringe" to help really "get in" and
flush (sorta pressurize the abscess pocket somewhat) the wound. Things certainly
didn't look better after the 7 days on the Clindacure. A bit of foul-looking pus
was still building up in the wound every few hours, and I was very worried that
more aggressive action (surgery for thorough cleaning of the wound) would be
needed. But things did not worsen. I let up somewhat on the flushing routine,
wondering whether the flushing was too aggressive. A week after the 7-day period
of Clindacure, the wound had closed over completely, with no signs of pus
buildup. It has not re-opened. Kitty has been full-strength for well over a
month, helping me to wake up in the morning and critiquing my piano playing with
a "helpful" paw now and then.

Old March 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
Caroline

"PawsForThought" wrote
From: "Caroline"

My quick Internet search indicates the FVR-CP is an annual, period. Anyone
hear
otherwise? Or is a longer-term version perhaps being developed?

Not quite sure but I came across this article on vaccinations:

http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html

Thank you. I skimmed this site and bookmarked it. I've heard a bit about the
doubtful value and even health risk of vaccinations; just haven't taken the time
to read about it since my cat's last physical last year. However, I'm stuck in
this instance. I will be away for four days in April, and my favorite "Kitty
Condo Kennel" requires rabies and distemper vaccinations.

Dunno if I can get just the distemper (separate from everything else in the
FVR-CP), but I will investigate.

Again, thanks.

Old March 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
Caroline

"PawsForThought" wrote

Old March 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Caroline"

"PawsForThought" wrote
From: "Caroline"

My quick Internet search indicates the FVR-CP is an annual, period. Anyone
hear
otherwise? Or is a longer-term version perhaps being developed?

Not quite sure but I came across this article on vaccinations:

http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html

Thank you. I skimmed this site and bookmarked it. I've heard a bit about the
doubtful value and even health risk of vaccinations; just haven't taken the
time
to read about it since my cat's last physical last year. However, I'm stuck
in
this instance. I will be away for four days in April, and my favorite "Kitty
Condo Kennel" requires rabies and distemper vaccinations.

Kennels will require vaccinations. If you decide after this set of vaccines
that you don't want to vaccinate again, or at least for another few years,
maybe you could try to find a petsitter who will come to your house to take
care of your kitties.

Dunno if I can get just the distemper (separate from everything else in the
FVR-CP), but I will investigate.

I'm not sure if you can get it separate either, or just in the combo.

Again, thanks.

You're very welcome

Lauren

________
Old March 22nd 04, 11:59 PM
PawsForThought

Old March 23rd 04, 03:48 AM
PawsForThought

From: Cheryl

(PawsForThought) dumped this in
on 22 Mar 2004:

Kennels will require vaccinations. If you decide after this set of
vaccines that you don't want to vaccinate again, or at least for
another few years, maybe you could try to find a petsitter who will
come to your house to take care of your kitties.

I hate that they require them. I had to board Shadow a few years ago and
they required FVRCP, rabies, and FeLV shots. I believe to this day that
is the start of his problems.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised My Meesha was the runt of the litter
and was plied with vaccines before her immune system had had a chance to
develop propertly. I believe her asthma, if not caused in whole, at least in
part by it.

Dunno if I can get just the distemper (separate from everything else
in the FVR-CP), but I will investigate.

I'm not sure if you can get it separate either, or just in the combo.

I saw this discussed in alt.med.veterinary and apparently they are
available separately but most of the vets there said they don't do it
that way, or won't. Ironic, too, since the immunization for "distemper"
(feline Panleukopenia) is most likely to immunize a cat for life with
just the first series rather than require boosters like calici virus and
feline herpes. This according to a site cited in a.m.v. recently. I
don't have the site handy but it could be in the archives by now.

--
Cheryl

That's interesting. I don't see why the vets would be reluctant to use the
distemper vaccine alone. Cost maybe?

Lauren
________
See my cats: