feeding dilemma

Old June 1st 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default feeding dilemma

I have been feeding Dufus Hills XD canned, with a little XD dry as a treat
for quite a while now, as he loves the dry. He has stopped eating the
canned. I then changed to Renal LP to see if the change would help him eat.
That went ok for a short time, then he stopped eating that. Last week he
wouldn't touch any canned at all and I quit feeding any dry. Was getting
kinda worried about his not eating. Last weekend was his check up at the vet
and evrything checked out ok., except for some kitty acne under the chin,
jeesh, anyway since his check up he has eaten next to nothing and I was
going to call the vet tomorrow to get him in to have him checked over again.
Tonite I decided to give him some dry to see if he would eat it, thinking if
he did then there wasn't anything wrong with him and he was just holding out
and wouldn't waste a trip to the vet. Well, guess who is just holding out.
My question is, how long will a cat go w/o eating anything to get what he
wants? How long is it healthy to let them go. I guess feeding him XD dry
wouldn't be the end of the world, I had just decided I wanted to feed him
wet food as I thought it would be better for hair ball control. Maybe I
outta just kick his big furry butt! :-)

--
Paul O.

Old June 1st 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
om...
My question is, how long will a cat go w/o eating anything to get what he
wants? How long is it healthy to let them go. I guess feeding him XD dry
wouldn't be the end of the world, I had just decided I wanted to feed him
wet food as I thought it would be better for hair ball control. Maybe I
outta just kick his big furry butt! :-)

I have a resistant one that I am trying to switch from dry to wet. I want
him get really hungry before I offer the wet food a couple of times
throughout the day, but allow him to eat a small portion of dry at least
once a day, usually at bedtime.

As for the acne, use only ceramic, glass, or stainless steel dishes and
disinfect them daily. Using a benzoyl peroxide or chlorohexadine wash to
remove the sebum and keep the pores open can help as well. A vet visit would
be helpful if it gets beyond you.

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old June 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Toni" wrote in message
news

"Paul O." wrote in message
om...
My question is, how long will a cat go w/o eating anything to get what he
wants? How long is it healthy to let them go. I guess feeding him XD dry
wouldn't be the end of the world, I had just decided I wanted to feed him
wet food as I thought it would be better for hair ball control. Maybe I
outta just kick his big furry butt! :-)

I have a resistant one that I am trying to switch from dry to wet. I want
him get really hungry before I offer the wet food a couple of times
throughout the day, but allow him to eat a small portion of dry at least
once a day, usually at bedtime.

Toni

http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

The only reason really that I wanted him on wet food is that in the almost
1 yr of feeding wet, I haven't seen him cough up a hairball nor have I
heard him chuffing. I figure that the oils and moisture in the wet food was
helping with that problem. I guess with the dry I could use the hair ball
treatment more diligently that you spread on the paw and let them lick it
off.

--
Paul O.

Old June 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I would give in and feed him the dry. He has to eat something. You could
try sprinkling the dry onto the wet and see if he will eat the wet that way.
For my cat that didn't like wet food, I actually ground up dry food that he
liked in a coffee grinder and sprinkled that over the wet food. It helped.

Sue
"Paul O." wrote in message
om...
[...]

free feeding VS fixed feeding Amy Cat health & behaviour 58 February 26th 04 02:30 AM
Feeding dilemma Yoj Cat anecdotes 11 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
re feeding dilemma Jean H Cat anecdotes 1 August 24th 03 07:43 PM
Feeding dilemma Victor M. Martinez Cat anecdotes 4 July 22nd 03 08:31 PM
Feeding dilemma Victor M. Martinez Cat health & behaviour 8 July 22nd 03 08:31 PM