Hyperactive 6 month old cat

Old April 26th 04, 02:12 PM
Andrei Maxim

Default Hyperactive 6 month old cat

Hi,

I have recently adopted a small stray cat, hoping that she will make
my older 7 year old cat more playful.

Unfortunatly, I have discovered that she has tons of energy and rarely
sits down. Whenever somebody is at the door she comes running, she
climbs until she gets right under the ceiling, but she does most of
the things all alone.

The really big problem is that she plays with things that she
shouldn't have, i.e. a flower vase, some CDs, the mouse pointer, my
papers, guest's shoes, etc. Also, whenever I leave, she hits the
garbage can and plays with all the things in there. I have a garbage
can with a lid that swings if you want to throw something, but she saw
that if you hit it and it falls down, the lid will also fall down and
another garbage can with a step-on button that opens the lid. Both of
them are pretty small so she has enough power to make them fall.

I can't hide everything in my house (she plays with small objects and
leaves them behind the sofa or behind the furniture) and I can't let
her get out of my flat as there are a couple of stray, and pretty mad,
dogs that hate cats (thanks to some of my "friendly" neighbours).

What can I do to make her a bit less hyperactive? Her behavior is
starting to get annoying because I don't want to lose at least half an
hour to clean up her mess... Some said that catnip might be a
solution, but are there other ways?

Andrei
Old April 26th 04, 02:24 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Andrei Maxim at
wrote on 4/26/04 8:12 AM:

[...]

That's what kittens do. There is nothing but time for settling down. I used
to really play hard with the kittens 1/2 hour before bed time which usually
quieted them for the night. Kitten proof as much as possible for a few
months. She WILL calm down but it takes time.

Karen

Old April 26th 04, 05:00 PM
Mary

I have recently adopted a small stray cat, hoping that she will make
my older 7 year old cat more playful.
Unfortunatly, I have discovered that she has tons of energy and rarely
sits down.

And this is why I would never want to adopt a kitten or puppy. They have wayyyy
too much energy, you have to train them and they're a lot more work. If you
ever adopt a kitten, you should really adopt two so they have something to do.
You also must kitten proof your house or they will get into everything. If
you're gone all day, a solo kitten will get into soooo much trouble. They could
even hurt themselves bad just getting their head stuck in something. An older
cat would have been a better match for your older cat. Kittens can be too much
stress on some older cats, heck, even on humans.

What to do now. I don't recommend this but there are drugs you can get from the
vet to calm him down. Or you can get him a kitten to play with since your other
cat isn't interested in playing with him. I would also leave him in a kitten
safe room when you're gone. Unplug everything, take glass objects off shelves,
leave him with a cat tree and toys, lock the garbage up. Don't let her outside.
She'll be injured or killed. Catnip may make her calm after a few minutes of
wild play. You also need to play with her like crazy to burn some of her
energy. Try maybe an automatic toy like panic mouse or a long string hanging on
the door with a toy, things she can play with by herself. Good luck.