Toilet Training update

Old March 18th 04, 07:14 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:02:42 -0600, "Annie Wxill"
yodeled:

wrote in message
Since your cat is obviously picky about litter it would be a mistake to
switch from one that he likes to a heavily scented, non clumping litter
like Fresh Step where you won't be able to completely remove the urine
from the box. ... Being conscientious about scooping and keeping the box

clean is the
simple answer here. Inflicting another change on the cats could make
things worse.

Megan

The Fresh Step Scoopable litter that I use is a clumping litter. The urine
is removed in clumps. I do not use the scented version. I don't like heavy
perfume odors and would not inflict them on my cats.
I agree that scooping and keeping the box clean will help prevent and solve
inappropriate urination and that changing litters can pose some risk of
rejection. However, the O.P. was concerned about the cost of her present
litter. I suggested a more economical brand that works well for our cats.
If she decides to change, she can do it gradually by mixing the old and new
brands together at first.
Annie

I hate to further complicate things, but I have heard that clumping
cat litter can be dangerous to cats (and also people) because it can
be accidientally ingested, and expand inside the cat; there are also
chemicals that coat their (and possibly our) lungs and cause
respiratory problems.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 18th 04, 07:31 PM
Annie Wxill

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
I hate to further complicate things, but I have heard that clumping
cat litter can be dangerous to cats (and also people) because it can
be accidientally ingested, and expand inside the cat; there are also
chemicals that coat their (and possibly our) lungs and cause
respiratory problems.
Theresa

What is the source of your information? Can you be more specific?

Going only on my personal experience, I can say that we have used various
brands of clumping litters for years and have not had any of the problems
you have mentioned. Of course, this doesn't mean there is no danger, but
I'd like to know the source of the information before making any changes in
a routine that has worked well for us.
Annie

Old March 18th 04, 07:54 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:31:00 -0600, "Annie Wxill"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .
I hate to further complicate things, but I have heard that clumping
cat litter can be dangerous to cats (and also people) because it can
be accidientally ingested, and expand inside the cat; there are also
chemicals that coat their (and possibly our) lungs and cause
respiratory problems.
Theresa

What is the source of your information? Can you be more specific?

Going only on my personal experience, I can say that we have used various
brands of clumping litters for years and have not had any of the problems
you have mentioned. Of course, this doesn't mean there is no danger, but
I'd like to know the source of the information before making any changes in
a routine that has worked well for us.
Annie

Here is a page that summarizes the debate. I just like to err on the
side of caution.
http://cats.about.com/cs/litterbox/a/clumpingclay.htm

Old March 19th 04, 12:25 AM
Hopitus2

Oh, okay.....then Schmogg is *not* taking in latest antics of USA ubercelebs
with better looks than taste or common sense. He therefore has *no* excuse
for nocturnal toe-chewing. Does he bite Joel's toes as well, or just yours?
The BT Rowdy used to be much worse with night toe-biting, but he's mellowed
considerably over past year. Now if he'd just leave the girls alone....

"Yowie" wrote in message
: "Hopitus2" wrote in message
: ...
: Some day we may be building dwellings from cat poo and clay, forming
solid
: structures.
: Did you ever think that Schmogg may be biting you at night because he
: doesn't care for the tabloid reading matter you provide in his
litterbox?
: Maybe, like the rest of us, he's grown weary of Brad & Jen's 500 watt
: nonstop smiles, or Bennifer's on/off romance, or Whitney's still another
: trip to rehab city. The headline I saw tonight on one, "COOKED" over Ms.
: Stewart's haggard face closeup, was worth a couple good toe nips for
: Schmogg
: to give you.
:
: LOL! Think we can get a building contract on our new "100% recycled"
: extra-strong building material?
:
: As for tabloids, I thought that the litterbox would be about the right
place
: for such trash! They certainly promote excrement.
:
: (Actually I was using "tabloid" only as a size - ie, approxiamtely A2 size
: when closed, rather than "broadsheet" size - double tabloid, rather than
any
: comment on the content of said free newsppaers, which are really local
: advertising with just enough local-interest stories not to qualify as pure
: advertising material)
:
: Yowie
:
:

Old March 19th 04, 12:39 AM
Hopitus2

Well, I hate to keep saying "to each his own" but the Evil 3 here have never
eaten Tidy Cat Scoop clumping litter, which is what I've used for some time
now. OTOH, they ate (and barfed at an alarming rate) both that littergreen
stuff that smelled grasslike *and* the wheat-based currently popular. I
believe their furry little minds think like, "if it smells like food, eat
it, no matter where it is". But maybe other slaves' short furry dictators'
minds work otherwise. My motto now is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", so
even if there is some kinda litter you can flush down the toilet, I am not
investigating that. We are very paranoid re what goes down the toilet, as
the plumbing here dates from 1965 and is *not* PVC, but metal.

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
: On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:31:00 -0600, "Annie Wxill"
: yodeled:
:
:
: .. .
: alt.tv.frasier FAQ: http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/
:

Old March 19th 04, 12:41 AM
Annie Wxill

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
... Here is a page that summarizes the debate. I just like to err on the
side of caution.
http://cats.about.com/cs/litterbox/a/clumpingclay.htm
Theresa

Thank you for the link. It appears that litters with bentonite have
little, if any, risk to adult cats. One breeder claimed it caused the death
of some kittens. I checked the Fresh Step Web site and it says its
scoopable litter is made of bentonite clay. I was surprised that it said it
has a fragrance, because I had always bought the unscented. However, the
packages no longer say unscented, but whenever they made the change, neither
I nor the cats noticed the difference. It is not a perfume sort of thing.
I am less concerned with the kitty litter risk, if any, than I am about
complications of vaccinations. However, I still feel better about getting
my cats vaccinated and treated for parasites then leaving them unprotected
because of the possible complications. I do wish that Texas would allow a
three-year rabies vaccination instead of requiring it annually.
Oh, yeah, the cats and I are satisfied with Fresh Step scoopable (which
by-the-way is not flushable). I don't see any compelling reason to change
and stand by my recommendation to Krista that if she is wanting to change to
a less expensive litter, she should consider that brand.
Thanks again for the link.
Annie

Old March 19th 04, 01:28 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about Clumping Litter OK? (was Toilet Training
update):

I hate to further complicate things, but I have heard that clumping
cat litter can be dangerous to cats (and also people) because it can
be accidientally ingested, and expand inside the cat; there are also
chemicals that coat their (and possibly our) lungs and cause
respiratory problems.

Felix's Evil Doctor :-) [actually a very nice Australian gent, but you
know how cats are about vets] did not express concern over use of
clumping litter.
Old March 19th 04, 01:48 AM
Annie Wxill

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
Well, gee,

Theresa

I'm not sure what you mean by that response. I really do appreciate the
link and respect your decision to take the more cautious path.
I was explaining why my position is a little different. I meant no
criticism of you. I'm sorry if it looked that way to you.
Annie

Old March 19th 04, 02:20 AM
Yowie

"Hopitus2" wrote in message
news
Oh, okay.....then Schmogg is *not* taking in latest antics of USA

ubercelebs
with better looks than taste or common sense. He therefore has *no* excuse
for nocturnal toe-chewing. Does he bite Joel's toes as well, or just

yours?
The BT Rowdy used to be much worse with night toe-biting, but he's

mellowed
considerably over past year. Now if he'd just leave the girls alone....

Interesting you should ask that. Shmogg only attacks me.

He'll bite and or scratch Joel if Joel has put him in the sort of situation
you'd *expect* a cat to get violent, but the random completely
incomprehensible biting and attacking of my feet are only ever carried out
on me. I can't say about the nocturnal biting in bed, because Shmogg doesn't
sleep with Joel, only me.

Yowie