Ping Pam S

Old April 26th 04, 11:18 PM
Steve Touchstone

Default Ping Pam S

After the rain last night, I just took the day off, I hate mowing wet
grass, and checked out the campgrounds. I had a good drive checking
things out. Out on the refuge I saw the usual buffalo and long horn
cattle, and had to stop at one point to let some long horns cross the
road, mamas with the little babies. You don't get to see the wildlife
on post, of course, but I did have to slow down for a turkey hen to
cross the road.

Good / Bad news sort of thing. Bad news is that neither campgrounds
accept reservations for tent camping. The people I talked to doubt
that they'd be full, but both are first come first serve for tents.
IMO, the campground on the Refuge is nicer. It's located in a grove of
trees, for one thing, while the one on post is pretty much out in the
open. Also, the refuge has individual sites, while on post there's
just an area for tents and you can put up the tent wherever you can
squeeze in. The one on post does have some good points, I guess
especially if you have kids to entertain. Swimming area with a big
water slide (and lifeguard), miniture golf, paddle boats, little
store, resturant, etc. Both camps are on lakes, so, so is fishing. The
one on post has a bait shop right there, but you have to remember to
stop at a bait shop on the way to the Refuge. You need a state license
to fish both, but can probably just buy a short 3-5 day license. I
remembered to ask on post, and you can fish the lake at the
campgrounds without buying the additional post license.

Checkout is 3PM at both campgrounds, so since it's first come/ first
serve the best thing is to be there at three to pick your site. Course
I don't know what time you think you'll be pulling in, and could
probably arrange to head out there and pick a spot if it's much later
than 3.

I picked up a brochure on the Refuge, and the tent fees are $6 a
night. I forgot to get a brochure on post. IIRC, it costs $4 to get in
the gate, which gives you access to the picnic and beach/swmming
areas. Then, there's an additional $4 to pitch a tent, and the
miniture golf and boat rental fees are on top of that if you want.

Here's a couple sites:

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
http://southwest.fws.gov/refuges/okl...a/camping.html

Fort Sill - Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area
http://www.sillmwr.com/letra.htm

One thing I discovered today about the Elmer Thomas site is that you
may not be able to get there following their directions, since the
gate they mention was closed, at least for today. It might open up
later on in the season, though. If you end up staying there, hopefully
the gate will be open, otherwise you have to drive through the Ft Sill
ranges on narrow twisting roads, through several low water crossings,
black out areas, etc. It could be a part of the security measures,
though, since once you get to the campgrounds there are no gates to
keep you out of the regular part of the Post.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old April 28th 04, 07:32 AM
Tanada

Steve Touchstone wrote:

Checkout is 3PM at both campgrounds, so since it's first come/ first
serve the best thing is to be there at three to pick your site. Course
I don't know what time you think you'll be pulling in, and could
probably arrange to head out there and pick a spot if it's much later
than 3.

I picked up a brochure on the Refuge, and the tent fees are $6 a
night. I forgot to get a brochure on post. IIRC, it costs $4 to get in
the gate, which gives you access to the picnic and beach/swmming
areas. Then, there's an additional $4 to pitch a tent, and the
miniture golf and boat rental fees are on top of that if you want.

Thanks Steve. I read this to Rob, bookmarked both sites, and discussed
the pros and cons of both areas with him. We agree that the wild life
refuge sounds best for us as not only can we find it easier, but our
friends can find us easier as well.

I don't recall how long a day Rob said the trip between Memphis and
Lawton will be, hopefully, we will be there by three. We'll make an
early start if at all possible. Maybe we can work something out for us
to get together for dinner at the camp ground. Jim and I'll cook
spaghetti if you, Sherry, and her hubby can and will join us.

Pam S. getting really excited about meeting everyone.

Ping Brenda Bev Cat anecdotes 1 January 7th 04 12:19 AM
Christmas Card (ping: Britta) Stacey Cat anecdotes 4 January 5th 04 11:16 AM
PING JILL MC: OT Hopitus2 Cat anecdotes 3 January 4th 04 03:49 AM