Are ginger females infertile?

Old May 7th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hilltownsend

Default Are ginger females infertile?

Hi, I have two young cats, one of which is a ginger and white female!
I have heard that ginger females are infertile and have tried searching the
net to find out if this is true but have so far been unsucessfull!!
If anyone knows the answer or can direct me in the right direction i would be
very greatful.

cheers
Cally

Old May 8th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Mon 07 May 2007 05:47:58p, hilltownsend wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:71d5077404cb1@uwe:

Hi, I have two young cats, one of which is a ginger and white
female! I have heard that ginger females are infertile and have
tried searching the net to find out if this is true but have so
far been unsucessfull!! If anyone knows the answer or can direct
me in the right direction i would be very greatful.

cheers
Cally

You might be mistaking this with calico males being infertile. All
pet cats should be made infertile by spaying/neutering though.

--
Cheryl

Old May 8th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"hilltownsend" u34005@uwe wrote in message news:71d5077404cb1@uwe...
Hi, I have two young cats, one of which is a ginger and white female!
I have heard that ginger females are infertile and have tried searching
the
net to find out if this is true but have so far been unsucessfull!!
If anyone knows the answer or can direct me in the right direction i would
be
very greatful.

cheers
Cally

Ginger females can get pregnant so you need to get her spayed if she isn't
already.

Old May 8th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 8 May, 00:02, Cheryl wrote:
On Mon 07 May 2007 05:47:58p, hilltownsend wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav news:71d5077404cb1@uwe:

Hi, I have two young cats, one of which is a ginger and white
female! I have heard that ginger females are infertile and have
tried searching the net to find out if this is true but have so
far been unsucessfull!! If anyone knows the answer or can direct
me in the right direction i would be very greatful.

cheers
Cally

You might be mistaking this with calico males being infertile. All
pet cats should be made infertile by spaying/neutering though.

--
Cheryl

Aha Ha.. You have just cleared up a mystery for me too Cheryl. I have
been looking @ the word Calico for months thinking " what on earth is
a Calico", & You have just explained it for me. I had no idea that
they were infertile BTW. I thought you were going to say that Ginger
cats can mostly only be male cats!
Thank you very much.
S;o)

Old May 8th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

On 8 May, 04:50, "Wendy" wrote:
"hilltownsend" u34005@uwe wrote in messagenews:71d5077404cb1@uwe...
Hi, I have two young cats, one of which is a ginger and white female!
I have heard that ginger females are infertile and have tried searching
the
net to find out if this is true but have so far been unsucessfull!!
If anyone knows the answer or can direct me in the right direction i would
be
very greatful.

cheers
Cally

Ginger females can get pregnant so you need to get her spayed if she isn't
already.

I thought that ginger females are very rare. Is this the case or just
an urban myth?
Thanks in advance,
S;o)

Old May 8th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
hilltownsend via CatKB.com

I thought that ginger females are very rare. Is this the case or just
an urban myth?
Thanks in advance,
S;o)

I was told that a female ginger cat was very rare, and because of this they
are infertile! Which is why i was asking the question.

Old May 8th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

hilltownsend via CatKB.com wrote:
I thought that ginger females are very rare. Is this the case or just
an urban myth?
Thanks in advance,
S;o)

I was told that a female ginger cat was very rare, and because of this they
are infertile! Which is why i was asking the question.

I have heard 80 percent of ginger cats are males. So it's a 1 out of 5
chance of having a female.

I do know of a ginger female cat who just had 6 kittens.

Rhonda

Old May 8th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"hilltownsend via CatKB.com" u34005@uwe wrote in message

I was told that a female ginger cat was very rare, and because of this
they
are infertile! Which is why i was asking the question.

I have heard that gingers are usually make, and in my experience, I have
never
met a ginger cat that was a female unless she had a bunch of white too.

If they are rare, it certainly does not follow that they are infertile.

Old May 8th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
hilltownsend via CatKB.com wrote:
I thought that ginger females are very rare. Is this the case or just
an urban myth?
Thanks in advance,
S;o)

I was told that a female ginger cat was very rare, and because of this
they
are infertile! Which is why i was asking the question.

I have heard 80 percent of ginger cats are males. So it's a 1 out of 5
chance of having a female.

I do know of a ginger female cat who just had 6 kittens.

Did she have white on her too? Like white paws or a bib or bikini?

Old May 8th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On May 8, 10:24 am, sheelagh wrote:
On 8 May, 04:50, "Wendy" wrote:

"hilltownsend" u34005@uwe wrote in messagenews:71d5077404cb1@uwe...
Hi, I have two young cats, one of which is a ginger and white female!
I have heard that ginger females are infertile and have tried searching
the
net to find out if this is true but have so far been unsucessfull!!
If anyone knows the answer or can direct me in the right direction i would
be
very greatful.

cheers
Cally

Ginger females can get pregnant so you need to get her spayed if she isn't
already.

I thought that ginger females are very rare. Is this the case or just
an urban myth?
Thanks in advance,
S;o)- Hide quoted text -

Slightly roundabout explanation:

Calicos are normally female because two of the three color genes for
it sit on the same spot on the X chromosomes--and normal male cats
only have one X chromosome. So calicos can be female;, OR they can be
double-X chromosome males. Only with two X's can a cat get all three
of black, ginger, and white spotting genes. And double-X chromosome
males are nearly always sterile.

Female cats are much less likely to be solid ginger for essentially
the same reason: they have two X chromosomes. The odds of getting the
ginger gene on both X chromosomes is fairly low; usually the second
one will have the white spotting gene, or black, or both. So only
males are likely to get ONLY the ginger color gene. But a female who
hits the jackpot and gets ginger on both X's, with no white spotting,
is still genetically and chromosomally normal, and perfectly fertile.
Or at least, not sterile because of that.

Lis