Second Burn - Pictures

Old March 14th 05, 02:39 AM
CatNipped

Default Second Burn - Pictures

Here are some pictures of the second burn on Bandit's back (gross warning).
It looks worse than this morning when the hair fell out. I don't know if I
made it worse by washing the Silvadine off twice - I decided to leave it
alone until I can get to the vet, now I don't know if I need to take her to
the ER - I just don't have the $250.00 again for the second time in a week -
and my charge card is in a safety deposit box where I can't get to it! I am
freaking out again, but I don't know what to do! Do you think I should take
her anyway and just write a hot check, or do you think it can wait until
tomorrow morning? She is still eating and drinking and moving around OK.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Second_Burn/

OK, when I get upset I clean. When I get *VERY* upset I start stripping
cabinets and floors, waxing, cleaning out closets. I've been going at it
for about 10 hours now - cleaning and crying, crying and cleaning. It's so
frustrating because I don't know what to do - I don't think Bandit is in
immediate danger, so I didn't take her to the ER, but I know she's got to be
hurting (and they only gave me 3 pain pills yesterday morning, I used one
last night and just gave her another - I'll give her another before going to
the vet in the morning).

I just can't quit thinking about this and worrying. This doesn't look like
it happened when the first one did, so I got to thinking - was the vet
stupid enough to use the heating pad again during the surgery to fix the
first burn???!!! I think after this, unless there is a *REALLY* good
explanation in the morning, I'll have to start looking for another vet - I
don't know if I'll be able to trust them ever again.

Oh gawd, what do you guys think?

I have to take off work again in the morning to take her in - after taking
half days all last week to take care of her - my boss isn't going to be real
happy with me.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old March 14th 05, 02:46 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 13 Mar 2005 09:39:07p, CatNipped wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

CN, that looks extremely painful. I'd at least call the ER and see
if there is something you can do to make it comfortable. I know it
seems that most vets don't like to give out anything over the phone
(with good reason, we're a sue-happy society) but maybe they can
let you know something if you explain the situation, how it
happened, etc? Maybe a tiny dose of aspirin? (yes I know its toxic
in high doses, but it was prescribed for my kitten for pain after
her surgery when she had to have a drain put in for infection after
her spay)

--
Cheryl
Old March 14th 05, 02:48 AM
CatNipped

"Cheryl" wrote in message

CN, that looks extremely painful. I'd at least call the ER and see
if there is something you can do to make it comfortable. I know it
seems that most vets don't like to give out anything over the phone
(with good reason, we're a sue-happy society) but maybe they can
let you know something if you explain the situation, how it
happened, etc? Maybe a tiny dose of aspirin? (yes I know its toxic
in high doses, but it was prescribed for my kitten for pain after
her surgery when she had to have a drain put in for infection after
her spay)

I just gave her a pain pill - I had gone yesterday morning to get some more
of the prescription. 3 pills for $16.00!

Cheryl

Old March 14th 05, 02:49 AM
Joe Canuck

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Jesus!

Not only did they cause this issue, but it looks like they didn't check
your cat out thoroughly enough when you brought her back to discover the
second burn spot.

This reeks of incompetence. Not just once, but twice.

Please find another vet.

Old March 14th 05, 02:55 AM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Here are some pictures of the second burn on Bandit's back (gross

warning).
It looks worse than this morning when the hair fell out. I don't know if

made it worse by washing the Silvadine off twice - I decided to leave it
alone until I can get to the vet, now I don't know if I need to take her

the ER - I just don't have the $250.00 again for the second time in a

week -
and my charge card is in a safety deposit box where I can't get to it! I

am
freaking out again, but I don't know what to do! Do you think I should

take
her anyway and just write a hot check, or do you think it can wait until
tomorrow morning? She is still eating and drinking and moving around OK.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/CatNipped/Second_Burn/

I just don't understand how they could have burned her and not
KNOWN about it.

Old March 14th 05, 03:49 AM
Connie

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, that looks bad - but healthy (well - about as healthy as a burn can
look). There doesn't appear to be any necrotic tissue with is good. The
yellow is eschar tissue, which the silvadene will take care of, but the vet
might debride it (like picking a scab). Your right, your vet better have a
*VERY* good explanation for not checking her out more carefully. And I read
that they are picking up the bill on this, right? I would demand they do.
And I would demand whichever tech was responsible for checking on your cat
get the proper discipline (IMO - FIRED... she obviously did not check on the
cat carefully enough with a heating pad in place).

I think - since you have pain meds - waiting until tomorrow would be ok.
Good luck, and hopes for kitty to feel better.

Old March 14th 05, 04:20 AM
Rhonda

My gawd! That is a big one, too!

I really think they would have seen this if it had it been there when
they operated. If not a heating pad in recovery -- I wonder if there is
something on the operating table that could have done both? She would
have been upside down when they worked on the first burn. I will be very
interested to hear what they have to say.

You know your vet, they sound like they've taken full responsibility,
but I don't know if I'd trust leaving her there again. Something is
happening.

One long shot, is there any kind of internal infection or anything else
that could cause sores like these? It sounds like both vets felt they
were burns, but it just seems so odd -- one on top and one on bottom,
unless it did happen during surgery.

Good luck tomorrow. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I also
clean when I am extremely stressed. When I start washing curtains, it's
big trouble. Your house is probably spotless by now...

Rhonda

Old March 14th 05, 05:12 AM
-L.

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

You can wait to take her in. This doesn't look like a burn to me - the
edges are so well defined. Is it possible that something else is going
on with her?

-L.

Old March 14th 05, 05:48 AM
Candace

-L. wrote:

You can wait to take her in. This doesn't look like a burn to me -

the
edges are so well defined. Is it possible that something else is

going
on with her?

I don't know what a burn would like really but when I was little, our
very first cat, Bitsy, had an area that looked a lot like this, right
above her tail. It was about 2 inches long, all the fur came out, and
it was mottled with red. She had a bizarre food allergy (back then
there was only one kind of cat food, Puss 'n Boots so that was all she
ate--after this started happening, she had to eat horsemeat and kidneys
that my mom cooked up for her). Could Bandit have a food allergy or
something else, it all does seem very odd. Poor girl. I wonder if she
has a circulation issue.

Candace