Advice solicited about flying with cat

Old April 24th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Advice solicited about flying with cat

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, I've flown with a cat. Virtually every airline, with the one
exception of Southwest, will let you take the animal in the cabin with
you.

In that case, this is a *major* change from when I was flying a few years
ago (and found only a few airlines that would permit small pets in the
cabin). It's a *very good* change, I might add.

MaryL

Old April 24th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

I just called Alaska Airlines and they confirmed him for my flights.
Relevant details:
- Dimensions: 17"x12"x7.5"
- Bed of absorbent material
- Food and water dishes
- Current health certificate
- $75 each way

Great news about the reservation.

I recommend a soft bag carrier which is easier for you to carry
(shoulder strap), easier to fit under a seat and probably more
comfortable for your cat. Once the side panels are rolled down it
looks just like luggage which keeps the petting zoo crowd factor down
a little :-)

-mhd
Old April 25th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

One more suggestion -

Ask your vet before the trip. My friend's vet prescribed a cat sized dose
of children's benadryl before she took her cat on the plane. BE SURE TO ASK
VET FIRST!!!! Please find out the exact dose before you try this - only a
doctor will know the 'cat safe' dose - its probably quite small.

Anyway, the Benadryl acts as a mild tranquilizer & sedative. Kitty will
probably sleep the whole way - so you won't have to worry about her getting
upset with all the strange sounds, smells, people. Or when you carry her
through the security screener.

I actually saw the cat after she took the Benadryl - she was okay just quite
sleepy.

-- maryjane

PS. another use for benadryl is with dogs. My families poodle had
epilepsy - fortunately he didn't have seizures too often - but after the
seizure ended my mother the RN would give him a tiny dog size dose of
Benadryl - so he slept through any after effects.

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:02:56 -0400,
wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

I just called Alaska Airlines and they confirmed him for my flights.
Relevant details:
- Dimensions: 17"x12"x7.5"
- Bed of absorbent material
- Food and water dishes
- Current health certificate
- $75 each way

Great news about the reservation.

I recommend a soft bag carrier which is easier for you to carry
(shoulder strap), easier to fit under a seat and probably more
comfortable for your cat. Once the side panels are rolled down it
looks just like luggage which keeps the petting zoo crowd factor down
a little :-)

I plan to get the soft carrier.

If people fuss over him, that will be fine. He will love it and I
won't mind.

Charlie