Census. Please respond.

Old June 7th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Default Census. Please respond.

Name: Bam-Bam
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH
Colour: Mostly white, with spots of gray tabby
Age: 2
Source of cat: rescued from a rubbish heap at 5 weeks of age; same feral
MamaCat as Ernie/Mimi/Moe/Weeble

Name: Barney
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH
Colour: Mostly white, with many more spots of gray tabby
Age: 2
Source of cat: littermate of Bam-Bam

Name: Betty
Gender: Female
Breed: DSH
Colour: Almost all black, just a smattering of white on her belly and
armpits (you have to really look for it, if she'll let you)
Age: 2
Source of cat: littermate to both Bam-Bam and Barney

Name: Ernie
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH
Colour: Mostly white with spots of gray tabby
Age: 4
Source of cat: Feral mama was raising them in our yard, nabbed them at 4
weeks of age

Name: Mimi
Gender: Female
Breed: DSH (also known as butterball)
Colour: Mostly white with spots of gray tabby, and ORANGE
Age: 4
Source of cat: Littermate to Ernie

Name: Moe
Gender: Female
Breed: DSH
Colour: Grey tabby w/white
Age: 4
Source of cat: littermate to Ernie & Mimi

Name: Lizzie
Gender: Female
Breed: DSH
Colour: calico/tortie w/white
Age: 6
Source of cat: Adopted from shelter

Name: Tennessee Tuxedo
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH (is lardass a breed of cat?)
Colour: black, with a few white 'patches'
Age: 14
Source of cat: given to us, born in a friend's barn

Name: Rosie
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH
Colour: Black
Age: 2*
Source of cat: camped out in our back yard, decided to stay.

Name: Ping
Gender: Male
Breed: Siamese
Colour: Seal Point
Age: 4*
Source of cat: got into our basement, decided to stay (he is the King
Ping, after all)

Name: Sir Weeble Wobblybottom
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH
Colour: Black, white on the armpits, and a tiny bit in the belly
Age: almost 5
Source of cat: first litter of that feral MamaCat, she abandoned him at
the very tender age of 1-2 days, along with one of his siblings (sibling
didn't survive ), I hand raised him

No longer with us:

Whe RB
Name: "Spot"
Gender: ?
Breed: DSH
Colour: White w/ black spots
Source of cat: See Sir Weeble's description (above)
Age if went to RB: 1-2 days
Cause of going to RB (if known): s/he was too young to survive without
MamaCat

Whe RB
Name: Ivy
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH
Colour: Calico
Source of cat: feral kitten
Age if went to RB: 7/8
Cause of going to RB (if known): CRF

Whe RB
Name: Smokey
Gender: Female
Breed: DSH
Colour: gray (like a Russian blue)
Source of cat: given to us (moving and can't take her with)
Age if went to RB: 16*
Cause of going to RB (if known): oral cancer

Whe rehomed
Name: Miss Priss
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH
Colour: Tortie
Source of cat: Another back yard camper
Age if went to RB:
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Whe rehomed
Name: Pong
Gender: male
Breed: Siamese
Colour: seal point
Source of cat: neighbor's back yard, they claimed he was not theirs
Age if went to RB:
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Whe rehomed
Name: Minnie
Gender: female
Breed: DSH
Colour: gray tabby w/white
Source of cat: littermate to Ernie, Mimi, Moe
Age if went to RB:
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Whe rehomed
Name: Black Bart
Gender: ?
Breed: Rabbit
Colour: black
Source of cat: someone's pet rabbit was running around our yard with the
wild ones, we gave him to one of DH's co-workers
Age if went to RB:
Cause of going to RB (if known):

Whe RB
Name: "Bitty"
Gender: ?
Breed: ?
Colour: white w/ black spots
Source of cat: feral MamaCat had a litter of one
Age if went to RB: 2 weeks
Cause of going to RB (if known): not sure, found her dead in the yard
one afternoon.

About us:

Gender: female
Your age: (40-45
Birthday month: January
Location (state, country): Indiana, USA
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 11
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 12
How long have you been with RPCA?: 6 years
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: was looking for info on
CRF (for Ivy, RB), found H&B along with this place.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 7th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lucys Mom[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
As Kyla pointed out, its been a long time since we did a census here in
RPCA.

So, here's the census questions (all are, naturally, entirely voluntary and
you don't have to answer all of them). They're in three sections: current
cats, cats that are no longer with us, and about us.

(Please note that if you don't want to put your individual details up on the
group, but would like to have you data included in the final compilation,
you can e-mail me (remove the spam trap). I promise not to publish any data
that can be traced back to any one individual)
~~~

Current cats
For each cat, please answer:

Name:
Gender: (use a star to indicate intactness. ie, a breeding queen would be
female*)
Breed: (DSH, for example)
Colour: (eg, tabby & white)
Age: (if unsure, indicate a 'best guess' with a star eg, "about four" would
be 4*)
Source of cat: Just turned up one day and declared the place home,
neighbourhood stray, given to you, adopted from shelter, adopted from pet
shop, adopted from breeder etc etc

~ ~ ~

We also don't want to forget the cats that are no longer with us. Feel free
to list any other cats you have been slave to:

Whe (Rainbow Bridge, Missing in Action, Rehomed, Unknown etc)
Name:
Gender: (use a star to indicate intactness. ie, a breeding queen would be
female*)
Breed: (DSH, for example)
Colour: (eg, tabby & white)
Source of cat: Just turned up one day and declared the place home,
neighbourhood stray, given to you, adopted from shelter, adopted from pet
shop, adopted from breeder etc etc
Age if went to RB:
Cause of going to RB (if known):

~ ~ ~

About us:

Gender:
Your age: (in 5-year bands,14 or less, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39,
etc etc)
Birthday month:
Location (state, country):
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment:
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time:
How long have you been with RPCA?:
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?:

~ ~ ~

feel free to add any other interesting data points if you like.

Eventually I will compile the results into a set of interesting statistics
(eg, something like "most people here own 2-3 cats, the most poular cats are
DSH tabbies and tuxedos, most of us are between 35 and 60, scorpios seem to
own the most cats, and most of our cats got RB because of CRF at around the
age of 16 or so. This is what I hope will be included in FAQ looks at
Mark)

Yowie

Current cats:
1. Tiger
female DLH
calico
20 yrs old
Adopted at 6 weeks of age from the local humane society
2. Lucy
female DSH
tortie
14 yrs old
Adopted from a tech at a friends vet. The tech had taken in a
stray, who promptly had Lucy, her sister and several others.
3. Shadow (RB)
male Siamese
13 when he passed
Showed up in the back yard of a friend of Erics, who decided Eric
needed a pet!
4. Casper (RB)
female Siamese mix
12 when she passed
Adopted from my vet as a companion for Lucy (yeah right!! Like Lucy
would tolerate another cat!). Since Lucy wasn't pleased, and we really
liked Casper, she went to live with Eric, Shadow, and Tiger.

About us:
I'm between 50 and 55
Birthday month is September
We're currently in Texas US
Currently slave to 2 but have had as many as 4
I've been here for several years and think I found the wonderful place
by browsing newsgroups.
Old June 7th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:54:41 +1000, "Yowie"
wrote:

Current cats
For each cat, please answer:

Name: Ty
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH with strong Maine Coon traits
Colour: tortoiseshell
Age: 7*
Source of cat: Shelter

~ ~ ~

Name: Lucy
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH
Colour: Tabby and white
Age: 6*
Source of cat: Shelter

~ ~ ~

Name: Indie
Gender: Female
Breed: (DSH)
Colour: Tortoiseshell
Age: 4
Source of cat: Shelter

~ ~ ~

Name: Ellie
Gender: Female
Breed: (DSH)
Colour: Tortoiseshell
Age: 3*
Source of cat: Neighborhood stray

~ ~ ~

Name: Smokey Joe
Gender: Male
Breed: (DMH)
Colour: Gray
Age: 2*
Source of cat: Neighborhood stray

~ ~ ~

We also don't want to forget the cats that are no longer with us. Feel free
to list any other cats you have been slave to:

Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Cinder
Gender: Female
Breed: DSH
Colour: black
Source of cat: free ad in newspaper
Age if went to RB: 19
Cause of going to RB : Hyper-T/high blood pressure/it was time.

~ ~ ~

Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Sophie
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH
Colour: white
Source of cat: free ad in newspaper
Age if went to RB: 14
Cause of going to RB : cancer

~ ~ ~

About us:

Gender: Female
Your age: 50-51
Birthday month: July
Location (state, country): Kansas, USA
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 5
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 5
How long have you been with RPCA?: Started lurking in 2001
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: searching for cat newsgroups when cancer was found in Soph.

--
L.
Pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineontheplain
Old June 7th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:40:54 -0700, Phoenix wrote:

I had heard a girl-cat with similar coloring called a "dilute calico" so I
figured it applied to him as well. He has no orange. (Unlike Tiger, who
had an orange cast to her mostly gray-tabby fur.) Perhaps the girl-cat had
orange I didn't know about.

If it's a calico, it isn't a normal male: calico is the mosaic of red
tabby (on one X chromosome) and another color (where the other x
chromosome is active). To be a male, it has to have a Y chromosome; to be
a female, two X chromosomes. Therefore to be a male calico, it would have
to be an XXY freak.

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old June 7th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Current cats

Name: Miranda aka Mere aka Mir aka Mir-Mir aka Mirs
Gender: F
Breed: Russian Blue
Colour: blue
Age: 3 (b. 30th Nov 2004)
Source of cat: relative/breeder

Name: Caliban aka Cali-Cali aka Food Hound aka Randiga killen (the
stripey fella) aka Gubbe-gubben
Gender: M
Breed: DSH
Colour: Brown tabby and white
Age: 3 (b. April 2005)
Source of cat: Rescue organisation that rescues cats and d*gs in
Tallinn, Estonia, and brings them over to Finland to be adopted

---

Whe Happier hunting grounds
Name: Frank
Gender: M
Breed: DSH
Colour: b/w tuxedo
Source of cat: the son of my sister's cat Svarta Pantern (the black
panther) and her co-worker's cat. He was the last of the litter who
hadn't found a home, and I had just come out of a relationship with a
bloke who was allergic to cats, and was desperate for a cat since our
family always had them. Frank had been passed around a few families
already, but had always been returned, poor boy. Maybe he knew he needed
to be with me. I certainly needed to be with him.
Age if went to RB: 18
Cause of going to RB (if known): several ailments and possibly cancer of
the stomach. He might have been able to fight off one of the things that
ailed him, but there was too much going on for his frail old body to
deal with.

Whe Happier hunting grounds
Name: Nikki
Gender: F
Breed: DSH
Colour: b/w tuxedo
Source of cat: born in the stables of a country house belonging to a friend.
Age if went to RB: nearly 17
Cause of going to RB (if known): probably a reaction to an asthma
medicine (Theophylline), or a tumour on the brain. I didn't have an
obduction done because it wouldn't have brought her back anyway. And the
whole thing was so sudden and I was in shock.

---

About us:

Gender: F
Your age: 40-44
Birthday month: October
Location (state, country): Helsinki, Finland
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 2
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: after moving away
from home: 3, but I think at best we had 8 cats while I was growing up
How long have you been with RPCA?: since 2001
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: a co-worker showed me how
Usenet works and the first thing I looked for was anything related to cats.

Old June 7th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Current cats:

Nocturne Minuit
DSH Female(spay)
Black as Satan's heart
Age 7
Imprisoned due to her political beliefs...Nox, no. You were adopted
from the animal shelter.

Smokey Wayne
Poser-RussianBlue (really a DSH) male (neuter)
Grey, white tux, white tummy spot
8*
Found feral on a military base, tamed by Operations Security, smuggled
off base by yours truly.

Kumani Ananche
DSH Female (spay)
Brown tabby with white toes on right forepaw and left hindpaw
5
Found on a pile of garbage at 3 weeks of age with her sister

Tyche Fortuna
DSH Female (spay)
Calico tabby: orange spots with darker orange stripes in them, brown
spots with dark brown/black stripes in them, white underbelly, mask
and stockings of various lengths....
5
Found on pile of garbage at 3 weeks of age with her sister

~ ~ ~

About us:

Gender: Female
Your age: 30-34
Birthday month: September
Location (state, country): Ontario, Canada
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 4
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 4
How long have you been with RPCA?: Um....3.5 years?
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: Randomly searching the
net for cat info

~ ~ ~

--Fil
Old June 7th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief

Alrighty then.....

Name: Imp
Gender: MN
Breed: DSH
Color: black
Age: 6 in Sept 08
Source: Had been dumped in a park, and was picked up by a rescue in
November. I was originally looking for a witch cat, but he melted my
heart so I adopted him in Feb 2003. Original name was Boomer, due to
his booming meow as a kitten. Ever since I've owned him he is the
QUIETEST cat I've ever met. I've heard him meow about a dozen times
in the past FIVE years.

Name: Mischief Grey
Gender: FS
Breed: Lavender Tortishell (as told by my friend
Color: Mostly grey, but with patches of cream and brown
Age: Most likely around 6-7 yrs.
Source: Found her drinking out of the swimming pool in my apartment
complex in April 2003. Brought her inside where she looked around and
indicated, 'This will do.' Was planning to try to find a home for her,
but got suckered into keeping her, and wanted to get Imp a friend.
Was going to move out due to no pets policy but worked something out
with the owner.

Name: Mayhem Kitty Cat
Gender: FS
Breed: DMH
Color: White with Grey patches
Age: probably around 6-7 yrs
Source: Summer 2005 - Mischief was going nuts at the window and Mayhem
was sitting on the wall outside crying. I was suckered into feeding
her and snatched her up. Donated her to my vet tech school, hoping
she would be adopted by the end of the semester. End of the semester
came and no one had expressed interest in adopting her, so she
suckered me into taking her back.

I always had loved cats but due to family allergies never grew up with
them. I was going into the veterinary field and despite my mild
allergies and asthma decided to adopt ONE cat. Now I have
three...*sigh*

About me:
Female
29 yrs old (30 in July, *gulp*)
San Fernando Valley (northwest of Los Angeles, CA)
Three cats at the moment, no more please
Been with RPCA since 2003
Found the site through Flippy's cat page, where I was enthralled by
all the stories.

I joined around the time I started my vet technician career. Most of
you will remember my Vet Tech journals, chronicially my journey as a
student from starting classes to me graduating and passing my state
boards.

Must post a complete update one of these days....

Kristi
Old June 7th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jbhajos

I'll have to piggyback - punched some wrong buttons and Yowie's
original msg and my reply went and done disappeared!

Current cats

Name: Hobo
Gender: Neutered male
Breed: Part shorthair, part Siamese, polydactyl
Colour: White with yellow tinges on ears, bands on tail, etc, and
blue eyes.
Age: 16*
Source of cat: A scrawny, dirty, silly-looking (long, long legs with

big poly-mitten feet) half-grown stray
who showed up daily for a month or two
only for a handout, thus a "hobo".

Others:
Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Speckles
Gender: Spayed female
Breed: Tortie
Color: Speckled - all colors
Source of cat: I operated a patio buffet for strays and Speck was one

who decided to stay on.
Age if went to RB: 18*
Cause of going to RB (if known): CRF

Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Custard
Gender: Spayed female
Breed: DSH
Color: All white
Source: One of a litter from my daughter's cat
Age if went to RB: 19
Cause: CRF

Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Chico
Gender: Spayed female
Breed: DSH
Color: Tuxedo
Source: Sister of Custard
Age to RB: 16
Cause: Cancer in jaw

Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Philip
Gender: Spayed female
Breed: Tortie
Source: Neighbor's litter
Age to RB: 20 yrs 8 mos
Cause: CRF

Dozens of others dear to my heart and memory.

About us:

Gender: Female
Your age: Over 60
Birthday month: November
Location: Alabama, US:
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: One
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 14
How long have you been with RPCA?: Joined in 1997
How did you find RPCA? As a brand-new owner, computer-illiterate, the

person teaching me suggested getting into a newsgroup (what's
that? Like the 11:00 news?) and asked my interests which turned out
to be cats, RPCA was first on the list, the rest is history -- though
I was quite active the first few years when 20 posts in a day was a
big deal, it's become much too large for me to keep up with though I
dearly love everybody here. It's been quite a ride for 11 years,
hasn't it? But that's another story.
Old June 7th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Name: Yoda. (a/k/ Yo-Man, Odie, Odieman)
Gender: male
Breed: DSH, Cream Tabby Polydactyl
Age: 15
Source of cat: From a litter born of a stray at my MIL's house.

Name: Frank
Gender: male
Breed: Balinese/Siamese longhair
Colour: Sealpoint
Age: 11
Source of cat: Kitten mill

Name: Bootsie
Gender: female
Breed: DSH Black and White Tuxedo
Age: 9
Source of cat: Humane Society

Name: Biskit
Gender: female
Breed: DLH Calico
Age: Probably about 6
Source of cat: She jumped up on the window one winter night.

Name: Bosley
Gender: male
Breed: DSH Orange TAbby
Age: 5
Source of cat: My son's cat. He started driving a truck crosscountry
and
when he quit THAT job, Bosley had decided he liked Grandmother's
hosue better. Originally Bosley was a cardboard-box Wal Mart cat. The
last one left, even. I often think his issues of abandonment are a
contributor
to his behavioral problems. DH says no, he's just a mean, red-headed,
freckle-faced kid.

Whe Rainbow Bridge
Name: Cherokee
Gender: male
Breed: DLH Tuxedo
Source of cat: He was a stray at a neighbor's house who gave him to me
because he was beating up her poodle.
Cause of going to RB (if known): CRF

Whe RB
Name: Celmore
Gender: male
Breed: DSH Tuxedo
Source of cat: A stray at a gas station

Whe RB
Name: Luke
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH Wanna-Be Siamese. He was Yoda's brother
Died from Feline Leukemia

Whe RB
Name: Jacky
Gender: Male
Breed: DSH gray tabby
Origin: Dumped
Died from fluid in his chest cavity, likely FIP

Whe Re-homed
Name: Sheba
Gender: Female
Breed: DLH Solid Black
Origin: Dumped on the highway

Lots of other rehomed foster kittens/cats, too many to list. Sheba is
just the one I think of most often.

~ ~ ~

About us:

Gender: Female
Your age: 50-55
Birthday month: April
Location: Oklahoma
Number of cats you are slave to at the moment: 5
Maximum number of cats you've had at any one time: 9
How long have you been with RPCA?: 6 years or so.
(If you can remember) How did you find RPCA?: Karen Chuplis