What species is Mudpie's lunch?

Old June 18th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

Default What species is Mudpie's lunch?

If you have a hangup about cats catching and eating their own food, just
go on to the next thread - this one is about cats and their prey in the
real world. Flames to /dev/null.

Mudpie caught this, and eventually ate some of it. It was still alive and
relatively undamaged when I took the pictures.
67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

This is the second of these I've seen - the first was already mostly
eaten, but the tail caught my attention. He most likely caught it in a hay
field or the overgrown fence row at the edge of the field, but possibly in
brush or woods. I can't identify it. Location: South Central Missouri
(foothills of the Ozarks). Time of day: about 5:30 PM. Size: maybe 6-7
inches. Does anyone know what it is?

--

T.E.D. ) MST (Missouri University of Science and Technology)
used to be UMR (University of Missouri - Rolla).

Old June 18th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

In article ,
Ted Davis wrote:

67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

How big is it? The tail isn't fluffy enough for a tree squirrel so I'm
thinking some sort of ground squirrel.

Dan

Old June 18th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Ted Davis wrote:
If you have a hangup about cats catching and eating their own food, just
go on to the next thread - this one is about cats and their prey in the
real world. Flames to /dev/null.

Mudpie caught this, and eventually ate some of it. It was still alive and
relatively undamaged when I took the pictures.
67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

This is the second of these I've seen - the first was already mostly
eaten, but the tail caught my attention. He most likely caught it in a hay
field or the overgrown fence row at the edge of the field, but possibly in
brush or woods. I can't identify it. Location: South Central Missouri
(foothills of the Ozarks). Time of day: about 5:30 PM. Size: maybe 6-7
inches. Does anyone know what it is?

Looks like a chipmunk to me. Not sure if it's Alvin, Simon or
Theodore....

http://www.just-a-webpage.com/rantin...2/chipmunk.jpg

is what a not-soon-to-be-lunch one looks like

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old June 18th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Ted Davis"
If you have a hangup about cats catching and eating their own food, just
go on to the next thread - this one is about cats and their prey in the
real world. Flames to /dev/null.

Mudpie caught this, and eventually ate some of it. It was still alive and
relatively undamaged when I took the pictures.
67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

Sorry, couldn't download the site

This is the second of these I've seen - the first was already mostly
eaten, but the tail caught my attention. He most likely caught it in a hay
field or the overgrown fence row at the edge of the field, but possibly in
brush or woods. I can't identify it. Location: South Central Missouri
(foothills of the Ozarks). Time of day: about 5:30 PM. Size: maybe 6-7
inches. Does anyone know what it is?

Not me, sorry, giant mousie maybe? Just a guess.
Kyla

Old June 18th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:02:01 -0700, Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:

"Ted Davis"
If you have a hangup about cats catching and eating their own food, just
go on to the next thread - this one is about cats and their prey in the
real world. Flames to /dev/null.

Mudpie caught this, and eventually ate some of it. It was still alive
and relatively undamaged when I took the pictures.
67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

Sorry, couldn't download the site

The most usual reasons are omitting the http:// or adding www. That
machine doesn't have a fixed name, or for that matter, a fixed IP address.

Other reasons are that it's raining heavily here (it hasn't rained since
Monday) or my power failed (no evidence of that) or that Windblue (my
ISP) is malfunctioning (frequent). Sometimes, some sort of anti-malware
software will object to the nonstandard port (:9000) - spiders are less
likely to stumble across the server there than on the default HTML port,
and I really don't need or want the traffic.

I can't put a full link in an original post because the
Individual.net server rejects the message as spam.

Since this is a reply, I can include the fully qualified URL link:
http://67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

--
T.E.D. )

Old June 18th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 20:30:26 -0400, Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:

Looks like a chipmunk to me. Not sure if it's Alvin, Simon or
Theodore....

http://www.just-a-webpage.com/rantin...2/chipmunk.jpg

is what a not-soon-to-be-lunch one looks like

I found some other pictures that are an even better match for parts of the
animal - I think you are right. Anyway, I'll call it a chipmunk.

The stipes don't extend as far down the back as in the pictures, but it does
have stripes on the face which the only similar animal doesn't.

More research turned up the best match: Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus) -
it's stripes don't reach to the tail either (and it's the only chipmunk
likely to be found here).

--
T.E.D. )

Old June 18th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

Ted Davis wrote in
news
If you have a hangup about cats catching and eating their own food,
just go on to the next thread - this one is about cats and their prey
in the real world. Flames to /dev/null.

Mudpie caught this, and eventually ate some of it. It was still alive
and relatively undamaged when I took the pictures.
67.54.246.139:9000/tdavis/cats/misc/

This is the second of these I've seen - the first was already mostly
eaten, but the tail caught my attention. He most likely caught it in a
hay field or the overgrown fence row at the edge of the field, but
possibly in brush or woods. I can't identify it. Location: South
Central Missouri (foothills of the Ozarks). Time of day: about 5:30
PM. Size: maybe 6-7 inches. Does anyone know what it is?

Ah, definitely a chipmunk. Before our cat came along, we had a very
tame one in our back yard and, as you can see from hubby's web pages, we
got her to do all sorts of cute things for a peanut - we know she's a
her because she brought her two babies one day.

http://web.ncf.ca/dg300/

Now that we have Sonny, we had to discourage her from coming to our yard
because he kills them, thinking they are rodents I suppose.
Bobble
Old June 18th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

bobblespin wrote:
Ted Davis wrote in
news
[...]

He's right - they ARE rodents - in the squirrel family (i.e. Tree Rats,
as some people call them).

Old June 18th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Magic Mood Jeep ©" wrote in message
bobblespin wrote:
Ted Davis wrote in
news
[...]

Except that chippies are Ground Squirrels.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net